Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)
 MOD: Snitz Portal Beta 2.2 (Please Close Thread)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2001 :  04:37:47  Show Profile
quote:

Morpheus73,

When I get my demo site up and running you will be able to see this MOD used in exactly that manner. It will be running on a site using the snitz forum with many mods that are being used throughout the site, instead of just in the forums. Very similar to what Alan has done with his site at http://www.iamviet.com. And yes I will be using some form of a content mod, eernstbmi´s or the slash mod to display the site 'news' and good posts. I am however waiting for the newest Forum version to be released so that I don't have to install all my MODS all over again when it comes out. I should have some form of demo (based on HuwR's forum code, or EastPasco.com's code) up by sunday though...

I just wanted to release this 'Snitzy' version so that people could have a look and maybe give some feedback and assistance with the coding.

So, send me your ideas in an E-Mail and I will definitely look into adding them to the next release (I'll even do 2 seperate ones, one with a full forum and one without! )

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence
www.combatintelligence.com

Edited by - Brent Trevel on 23 March 2001 01:26:56

I would be very happy to collaberate with you on this...I´m not the big coder, but I thought about getting a hold of the new version, and start making a language MOD for it. - this is my idea: I go through the basic code and sort out the most used terms (topic, delete, post a.s.o.) and then I make an include file, that translates the words to strings, which will be used in the other files, instead of the textlines themselves. - then peolpe can go through the include file and translate to their language...OR...someone help me set up a table in the database and help me make the connection to a table holding the translation and their strings. - in the long run this would be more optimal than the first solution, since one could make an admin interface for translating directly from admin options!...

This is a very big project, that would require some time, so I thought, maybe we should do this with the new release coming out, and then take it MOD by MOD later on?

What do u think?

MPH73

Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2001 :  04:43:12  Show Profile
And by the way....

VERY KOOL JOB!

Go to Top of Page

tomasalsbro
Average Member

Sweden
818 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2001 :  05:06:21  Show Profile  Visit tomasalsbro's Homepage
quote:

And by the way....

VERY KOOL JOB!

Yeah - I agree with Morpheus73!
You are doing very well!
Tomas

Go to Top of Page

simmo
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2001 :  19:53:53  Show Profile
Well done,

Lookin' forward, everyone keeps referring to http://www.iamviet.com. As far as I'm concerned it's only those who truly contribute to and open up the "source" that deserve the "kudos".

Peace

Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  08:05:03  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

Well done,

Lookin' forward, everyone keeps referring to http://www.iamviet.com. As far as I'm concerned it's only those who truly contribute to and open up the "source" that deserve the "kudos".

Peace

I saw this post earlier in the day but choose to ignore it... but after finishing up the links manager and releasing it...this post kinda bugged at me.

"it's only those who truly contribute and open up the 'source'"
It's hard for me not to take this statement in the wrong way.

There's actually no need at all for some of us web developers to release the stuff that we built for snitz forum integration on our site. However many of us do...for myself, I release my code because I want to help snitz grow and improve on an already great app.

My mods for the most part have been geared kinda like a snitz portal because I'm actually using snitz as backbone for a portal. just look in add-on w/code section and you'll see some of my mods like classified ads, events calendar, etc...Someone can actually take some of these mods along with private messages, active users, slash, and some other mods and put together a portal.

Also I've released many of the codes that people asked directly from iamviet because they like it and wanted to know how it was done.

iamviet.com was not built overnight..it took my friends and I 3 months from conception until we actually released it in february. I could've built all the mods just specifically for my site, but I choose to snitzerize it so that others with snitz forum can use it. why? snitz forum have provided a great product for free, which encourages me to do the same in turn when I use it.

I can't just package my site into a zip and say "here you go"...Creating mods takes time and effort. Time i can do other stuff, like creating more stuff for iamviet or other sites i'm involved with.

and you have the audacity to sign out with "Peace" after that..ggrrrrrr

sorry brent trevel for having to post this in your mod's thread.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  09:33:54  Show Profile
quote:

"it's only those who truly contribute and open up the 'source'"
It's hard for me not to take this statement in the wrong way.

Alan, I can't blame you if you do take it the wrong way. I would hope that simmo's statement wasn't meant that way.

As far as the statement about contributing and opening the source, if that was directed towards you, that is so far from the truth. You've contributed some awesome mods. All someone has to do for proof of this is look at the Snitz Calendar mod or the Classified Ad mod. Those topics are some of the most popular in the Mod w/Code forum. When someone has asked you about your site, you've responded.

The reason why everyone always refers to the http://www.iamviet.com is because of the features of the site and the way the Snitz Forum has been integrated into the site. It's truly an awesome site!!

Alan, you contribute some awesome mods and great ideas. I think the people who come here on a frequent basis know this and that's all that matters!

Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  10:05:19  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
Preach on Alan.

I agree with you and work mule 100%, a Mod (or a Mod developer) should not be discounted simply because it does not affect the forums code directly. Mods are mods because they change or improve the features and functions of the forums, that is why they are called Modifications... right?

And like work mule said, www.iamviet.com has really set the standard as far as forum integration into a site goes, which explains why people continuously refer to it as an example...

On a Side Note:
Actually, I guess this is as good a time as any to let everyone know that I am working on basically some of the same improvements to this script that Alan has made to the other link index script. (Support for Forum dates, change true/false to int, etc.) Alan, mind if I 'borrow' some code??

P.S. Don't worry about brining this up in my Mod thread, maybe it'll provide some extra publicity!

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence

Edited by - Brent Trevel on 25 March 2001 10:06:58
Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  12:51:29  Show Profile
Alan,

Those of us that know you and those who spend time in the Forum know that you have contributed more than enough MODS and also some of your own little tidbits which was exclusive to http://www.iamviet.com (but you decided to share with us anyways)

Also, I commend you on what you have not only done with the listings MOD, but what you have also done in the source code

-------------------------------------------------
'Description :Links Manager Mod for Snitz Forum 3.1 sr 4
'Author :Originally link Manager 4 by Ezebox (www.ezebox.com)
' Edited and implemented for snitz forum by frankie
' Re-worked by Alan Le (alanle2000@hotmail.com)

I think that was very manly of you and shows just how un-selfish your character is by adding frankie in as an original on the implementation of this MOD

This is one of the reasons why I love to come to this Forum is because of the co-operation and team work between all the developers.

I only have one question Alan,
Can you and your co-partners at http://www.iamviet.com put me in your will to inherit your site?? Cause **** I love it

Intrepidone
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  13:59:34  Show Profile
quote:
I only have one question Alan,
Can you and your co-partners at http://www.iamviet.com put me in your will to inherit your site?? Cause **** I love it

All I can do is echo this comment. One of the nicest sits I've ever run across, Snitz or no Snitz.

I have to say as a non-code contributor that I hope other kinds of contributions count too. Everyone here seems to want to help each other, which makes this place great!

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  14:24:54  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
quote:

I have to say as a non-code contributor that I hope other kinds of contributions count too. Everyone here seems to want to help each other, which makes this place great!

======
Doug G
======

Caaan yooou feeeeel the looove tooonight?? (in best Elton John voice...)

Score:
open source 1
others 0

Boo Ya

- Brent
Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  14:30:52  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
quote:

I have to say as a non-code contributor that I hope other kinds of contributions count too.

Are you kidding? Give me code without info and I might as well give up. IMHO the non-code contributions (help with general questions, troubleshooting code, etc...) are at least as important.

"Give a man an ASP application and he will code for a day. Teach a man to code and he can code for a lifetime."

...er, feel free to quote me on that one. I think it's going to be famous someday .

-Kerry

Edited by - kerry on 25 March 2001 14:33:17
Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  23:11:14  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
I have posted some improvements to this mod. The new features have also been listed in the origional post. If you have downloaded the origional version, please download this new release which I am sorry to say, I do not have an upgrade script for (if there is a big demand - which I don't expect - then I will work on the upgrade script).

The new features/improvements in this release:
Control of Images
- you can now select the image style (button or banner) with approximate sizes listed to help users decide. Banners (468x60) are displayed above the description and buttons (30x100/60x120/125x125) are displayed to the left (side by side)
Report Bad Links
- various 'levels' of bad links: 0 = working link, 1 = 404 (page missing), 2 = internal error, 3 = external error, 4 = spelling mistake, 5 = missing image... link status is displayed as 'working' or 'down'
- Admin can review all 'bad' links and see the reason the link was marked as bad (must be logged in as admin/mod)
Modified Validation code
- instead of true/false it's now int (just easier to setup/maintain)
Member ID displayed
- when logged in as admin/moderator the user who submitted the link is displayed with a link to their profile
Added Search
- this search is simply modified code from the Listings Mod by Aznknight/frankie
Added database setup files
- this mod can installed automagically via the use of asp scripts, just point and click!
General code improvements
- some minor changes to the way things work

The demo URL's in the origional post are still up and working if you would like to see some examples of the new code. There may be a few minor bugs, report them and I will have them squashed.

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2001 :  12:17:06  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
getting a few probs, it is falling over processing

&area=<%=objRec("Template")%> there does not appear to be a template field in the DB

also objRec2("Author") there does not appear to be an author field

Go to Top of Page

tschive

Switzerland
63 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2001 :  14:38:02  Show Profile
hi all
i was working a little bit with the code and implemented a test portal here
my idea is to make a lot of "puzzles" so you are able to put the content really flexible into the design you need.
please visit, and send me your comments.
.. and excuse any bugs; this is a BETA
tschive

;-)
.... und tschüss
Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2001 :  16:34:40  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
quote:

getting a few probs, it is falling over processing

&area=<%=objRec("Template")%> there does not appear to be a template field in the DB

also objRec2("Author") there does not appear to be an author field

Sorry HuwR,

I hadn't added the latest files to the zip yet. Please re-download the zip file. The new color scheme created for Gor and the rating stars are also included in this release.

If there are any more bugs please let me know. I appreciate your help in debugging this Mod.

The download is in the first post.

quote:

i was working a little bit with the code and implemented a test portal here
my idea is to make a lot of "puzzles" so you are able to put the content really flexible into the design you need.
please visit, and send me your comments.

tschive,

This looks exactly like what I had in mind! Great job, if you added the links calendar to the layout it would be awesome. Try using this file as an include, I haven't tested it very thoroughly but it should work if you have the Calendar mod installed.

http://www1.7host.com/ninjaman/Portal/Calendar.inc

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence

Edited by - Brent Trevel on 30 March 2001 17:06:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07