Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Found an interesting site...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 22 April 2008 :  11:59:43  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage
I was investigating an IP that's been on my site for a few weeks straight and while poking around I came across this site...

http://www.stopforumspam.com/

Pretty cool stuff.

Switch the order of your title tags

JJenson
Advanced Member

USA
2121 Posts

Posted - 22 April 2008 :  12:30:58  Show Profile  Visit JJenson's Homepage
That is a cool site. I guess you could take all those ip's and block them or just go ahead and block the username all together to stop these.

Is there a way to get their xml r csv and just update the username databse and keep them from registering in the first place?
Go to Top of Page

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 22 April 2008 :  14:23:51  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage
Downloads

API

I put a lot of those domains on my registration block list.

Switch the order of your title tags
Go to Top of Page

JJenson
Advanced Member

USA
2121 Posts

Posted - 22 April 2008 :  15:16:40  Show Profile  Visit JJenson's Homepage
Yeah I saw they provided the api's and so forth. I wonder if there is a way to add a mod into snitz that you can enter your api info and then basically click a button that will go out and downlaod the most recent ones and jsut add them.
Go to Top of Page

MaD2ko0l

United Kingdom
1053 Posts

Posted - 22 April 2008 :  15:53:28  Show Profile  Visit MaD2ko0l's Homepage
could you not intergrate it so that it just looks up in there dataabse, rather than adding all the info to your own?

so if you was to query there page like this

g2fsehis5e@mail.ru" target="_blank">http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?ip91.186.18.611&usernameMariFoogwoogy&email=g2fsehis5e@mail.ru

btu obvisoly with the info that ahs been entered to your registar form and then get the data that is outputted?

© 1999-2010 MaD2ko0l
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2008 :  06:55:48  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
As has been said on many occasions, and I will re-iterate it here, blocking spammers based on their IP address is not very accurate since a large percentage of users do not have a fixed IP and therfore tomorrow the IP you banned yesterday may belong to someone else who is not going to spam you and may indeed be a perfectly legitimate person trying to register.
Go to Top of Page

gary b

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2008 :  07:19:02  Show Profile  Visit gary b's Homepage
Thanks for the heads-up, bobby131313... I'll check it out.

And for Huw...

While your statement is correct in some cases, it is *not* a statement that can be applied in all cases. If, for example, your forum expects only North American registrations, banning some IPs blocks would be viable.

Certainly, forum admins must consider the point you raise, but banning by IP is not intrinsically 'wrong' nor is it universally a 'bad' approach.

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2008 :  07:21:38  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I don't remember saying it was bad or wrong.
Go to Top of Page

JJenson
Advanced Member

USA
2121 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2008 :  11:07:42  Show Profile  Visit JJenson's Homepage
Well I was thinking more along the lines of the typical usernames, and email they are using. So if its an automatic registration it won't let them cause that username and email isn't allowed.

Edited by - JJenson on 23 April 2008 11:08:06
Go to Top of Page

MaD2ko0l

United Kingdom
1053 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2008 :  11:32:48  Show Profile  Visit MaD2ko0l's Homepage
thats what i was thinking, not blocking by ip as u have stated many times Hurw, ip banning is a bad idea. so i was thinking more along the lines of looking up the username and email addy to see if it existed on there database then blocking them liek that.

© 1999-2010 MaD2ko0l
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2008 :  13:00:09  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
email address yes, I can see the logic in, but not username, a username is not an indication of anything.
Go to Top of Page

JJenson
Advanced Member

USA
2121 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2008 :  14:15:01  Show Profile  Visit JJenson's Homepage
I just figured that if they are using a typical username along with a email address then it just adds the chance to block them. I mean I don't think it would be a big deal if someone couldn't sign up with a certain username would it? I mean I goto sites that say sorry can't use that username pick a new one. Does this not add an extra field of security? I know the email is probably more important cause like on my forum you have to activate it through that email but figure it would help to add the username as well is all.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2008 :  17:57:25  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I just don't see any merit in refusing a username just because it was listed somewhere else as the username of a potential spammer
Go to Top of Page

MaD2ko0l

United Kingdom
1053 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2008 :  18:15:03  Show Profile  Visit MaD2ko0l's Homepage
well ok, when if you checked to see if that username has came up more than say 3 times? then you block the username from being used?

so you would check the email to see if it is on record then if it is on record you check the username to see if it has been logged say..3+ times and if it has you block the username.

would that not make it a bit more user friendly to a proper user?

© 1999-2010 MaD2ko0l
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2008 :  04:09:30  Show Profile
Safe enough to check the e-mail address only; IPs can change and anybody can pick any username they want but only one person or group of persons can be in control of any given e-mail address. I have 3 members on 3 different sites using the same username; one's a 419er, the other 2 are legit (well, one of them can be covered by the last 3 letters of that word as well ).

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”

Edited by - Shaggy on 24 April 2008 04:09:52
Go to Top of Page

JJenson
Advanced Member

USA
2121 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2008 :  13:11:23  Show Profile  Visit JJenson's Homepage
Ok that makes sense. I guess the email is enough. Just thought it would make it simpler if spammers were all using the same autofill names
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07