Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2007 :  11:23:04  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Guys,
Oxle is maturing, and I think it's beginning to get old.
Today I discovered that what I was considering to be 'blueish' is in fact boring gray.... (**** those LCD's...CRT still is the best).
So, I'm planning on doing some intensive redesign of the site, and put some color in.

But, before I start doing that, I'd like to ask you guys to give your opinion about the current design.
I'm especially interested in your opinions on the color scheme, and page layout (2 colum centered design, with narrow topic view).

Don't hold back : tell me what you hate, tell me what's ugly, and tell me what's worth keeping in.

Thanks!

Oh, here's the link: http://oxle.com (login demo/demo)

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter

Edited by - MarcelG on 06 February 2007 11:25:08

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2007 :  12:23:27  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
LCD's are fine but they need careful setting up to get the colours correct, and don't forget that a very high percentage of users are using either LCD or laptops rathe than CRT these days
Go to Top of Page

pdrg
Support Moderator

United Kingdom
2897 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2007 :  12:28:03  Show Profile  Send pdrg a Yahoo! Message
OK :)

Keep it simple and clear, that's only fair on those using mobile browsers
http://oxle.com/linkdump.asp has a huge list at the bottom, it is way too big
Layers-wise http://oxle.com/linkdump.asp hoverring 'more' obscures part of the drop-down (tho that may be my setup, it may be more general)

Just a few to get you started ;-)
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2007 :  14:01:30  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Huw, that's true. But it still downright s*cks to carefully select a colorscheme, and see it being displayed later on a default screen with totally different colors.

pdrg :
1) for mobile users I've got http://oxle.com/mobile
2) List will be shortened ; good point
3) This is an issue with z-index and <object>/<embed>/<select> content.
I think I've seen a fix somewhere...(or IE hack)

Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2007 :  10:04:48  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Ehm..not to bump this topic - okay, it is to bump this topic... - but isn't there anyone else who can comment on the oxle design?

Thanks

Edited by - MarcelG on 09 February 2007 10:05:25
Go to Top of Page

Panhandler
Average Member

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2007 :  10:31:06  Show Profile  Visit Panhandler's Homepage
Sure. . .it's way too crowded with topics and subject and stuff.
You must have heard the phrase "Kiss"? "Keep it simple stupid!" One of my professor's used it all the time.

What is your goal with Oxle, it's focus, it's single minded purpose and objective?

"5-in-1 Snitz Common Expansion Pack" - five popular mods packaged for easy install
". . .on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam. . ."
HarborClassifieds
Support Snitz Forums

Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2007 :  11:42:54  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Panhandler, as much as I understand and appreciate your remark, the question is about the design, not the purpose.
The goal of oxle : http://oxle.com/article.asp?art=3065 Therefore, not restricted to a specific topic. Is the pub you go to restricted to one subject? That's oxle ; the pub.

Edited by - MarcelG on 09 February 2007 11:56:02
Go to Top of Page

Roger Fredriksson
Average Member

Sweden
556 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2007 :  11:53:55  Show Profile  Visit Roger Fredriksson's Homepage
Sorry Marcel, i have no comments on your design except that I like it ;). I am pretty tired on all efforts to hide content or make it pretend to be something that it isn´t. Just imagine to read a book with colors and flash (however I like your logo too) and animations and ads and ...

rf/www.avgifter.com
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2007 :  11:56:49  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Roger, I think I know what you mean. I am considering on removing the ads alltogether on oxle by the way, as they simply don't bring in a dime.

Go to Top of Page

Roger Fredriksson
Average Member

Sweden
556 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2007 :  11:59:17  Show Profile  Visit Roger Fredriksson's Homepage
hm, perhaps you could make it a little bit less table-ish or cell-ish (there are no such words in Swedish either but I hope you understand what I mean)

rf/www.avgifter.com
Go to Top of Page

MarkJH

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2007 :  12:13:22  Show Profile  Visit MarkJH's Homepage
quote:
I am considering on removing the ads alltogether on oxle by the way, as they simply don't bring in a dime.
Maybe you could intersperse some Adsense ads amongst the topics?

I've always liked the design of Oxle. It's like an Audi; clean, functional and classy.

You've been playing with those CSS rounded corners... maybe you could soften all of the tables slightly? Then again, I'm not sure if that's even possible without a huge amount of programming, seeing as Snitz is so table-based.

Bandlink.net - http://www.bandlink.net/
Bandlink Music Forums - http://www.bandlink.net/forum/
Go to Top of Page

Panhandler
Average Member

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2007 :  12:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Panhandler's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MarcelG

Panhandler, as much as I understand and appreciate your remark, the question is about the design, not the purpose.
The goal of oxle : http://oxle.com/article.asp?art=3065 Therefore, not restricted to a specific topic. Is the pub you go to restricted to one subject? That's oxle ; the pub.

The two are the same in my mind.
Your pub has at least eight big doorways into other rooms.
If I think of entering a pub, I'd like to sit down and enjoy for a moment. A pub surrounded by big doorways to other rooms isn't particularly inviting.
Its an interesting design. . .but without purpose?

"5-in-1 Snitz Common Expansion Pack" - five popular mods packaged for easy install
HarborClassifieds
Support Snitz Forums

Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2007 :  14:11:44  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
The design is just the visuals, and indeed it serves a purpose ; to make the visitor/user able to use the site.
The purpose of the site is not the same ; that can be loads of things, ranging from giving a platform to discussions, providing news, exchanging ideas, etc.
Those two are not the same thing, but the first serves the second.

Take www.scoutingkeentmoesel.nl as an example ; same design as oxle, but a completely different purpose.

But, am I right to understand that you think that all the forums at oxle should be merged?

Go to Top of Page

Panhandler
Average Member

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2007 :  15:14:13  Show Profile  Visit Panhandler's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MarcelG
But, am I right to understand that you think that all the forums at oxle should be merged?

No, not at all. It seems that Oxle casts a very wide net, a net so disperse that a visitor may find one thing of interest but is overwhelmed by other "items of non-interest" (to them).

My feeling is that "design" alone won't accomplish what you seek.

Scouting is more on target. . .it has a purpose - it serves a common interest.

Tabloids have a purpose to capture as many common interests at one time as possible.
I have no quarrel with Tabloids, but if Oxle is to be a Tabloid then my best advice is to study tabloid design.

I'm sorry and don't mean to become argumentative. Oxle is your baby.
And I'm not about to tell you that your baby is ugly (its not).

I guess I'm not being much help. . .you're asking "what color paint" and I'm saying to remodel the whole thing. I give up.

HarborClassifieds
Support Snitz Forums

Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2007 :  10:48:43  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Rich, I took your advise and started some cleaning on oxle.
The sidebar is cleaned up ; less boxes, no more polls, no shop@oxle ad, etc.
Next to that I've changed the search function so that it works for the site, and not internet. (e.g. more ways in, instead of more ways out)
I've also cleaned up several forums, and moved the topics to the more general forums.
Now, per language we've got 2 forums, and 2 frontpage and linkdump forums.

I've also removed some unused forums, and cleaned up the menu to remove useless and confusing links.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07