Page: of 5

xyzzy
Starting Member

Italy
17 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2005 :  12:35:37  Show Profile  Send xyzzy an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by ruirib
You sound pretty much convinced about the fact that the code change restrictions in the Snitz code are invalid. I, for one, am not so sure, since your FSF expert contradicted himself over two similar pieces of code. Why don't you go and ask him about this contradiction?

By now I am absolutely sure that the code change restrictions in the Snitz code are invalid.

Concerning what you call "contradiction", I don't know and don't care about Phpnuke. I wrote to licensing@gnu.org as any ordinary person can do, I included the copyright and license notices in sf2k_v34_05.zip, the two fragments of code I want to change/remove, and I have asked a very simple question. Now, from the fact you talk about "contradictions" I deduce you are the right person to get in touch with licensing@gnu.org, providing them with all the details and with the evidence that a contradiction is there and must be resolved somehow. Unfortunately, from the fact that you are not writing the message you are talking about and, instead, ask me to do it in your place I understand you are not very serious about what you say.

quote:

I guess the conclusion he drew without being confronted with his own contradiction over BB software suits you more, right?

You are insinuating I am in bad faith: this completes the picture.
Bye,

xyzzy
Go to Top of Page

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2005 :  15:56:37  Show Profile
Interesting topic about a tiny little link back to the developers of the code.

If someone (as Snitz) writes a piece of code I would like to use, I can´t see the problem in turning back the favor and link back to them, specially considering that the code is free and many people spent hours and hours of their precious time to create something I can use - when you think about it, it´s amazing, and everyone should be happy.

For those who for some reason or another don´t want to link back to the developers, USE ANOTHER code! I recommend Vbulletin.com or Invisionboard.com - you can buy a license for both that will allow you to remove the link in your forum.
Go to Top of Page

cladon

Belgium
110 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2005 :  16:28:37  Show Profile
I relay do not see the real problem. You can use the rules from the GPL AND you can add some of youre own rules. That is what they do with the snitz code. Thgey have add there own rules above these from the GPL.

When you download the code you are agree with the rules from snitz AND these from GPL. Snitz own rules are more important than these from GPL. Furthtermore you agreed with the Snitz Rules while you atre downloading the code.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2005 :  19:21:16  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by xyzzy
Now, from the fact you talk about "contradictions" I deduce you are the right person to get in touch with licensing@gnu.org, providing them with all the details and with the evidence that a contradiction is there and must be resolved somehow. Unfortunately, from the fact that you are not writing the message you are talking about and, instead, ask me to do it in your place I understand you are not very serious about what you say.

In fact I'm not the right person to contact gnu, since I'm not a copyright holder.
I asked you to do it, to have a better view of your motivation for this discussion. Your answer made it clear to me: you just want a "legal" backing to your decision of not including the link back to Snitz. You have it now, end of matter, right? If your intentions were related to really find out the underlying issue, I guess even you would be interested in finding the reason for the contradiction, no? Or am I just being naive?

quote:

You are insinuating I am in bad faith: this completes the picture.
Bye,
xyzzy

In fact I am not insinuating, I'm stating it. If that was not the case, you'd like to find out which of the two statements by Mr. Licensing Guru (the one for PhPNuke and the one for Snitz) was the correct one.

That is even aggravated by the fact that someone has released some software under certain requirements to be fulfilled by the software users. Under the pretext of a "technicality", you choose to disregard those requirements and instead call the guys who hold the copyright 'suckers'. This is my view.

<corrected a typo>

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too

Edited by - ruirib on 04 March 2005 05:01:31
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2005 :  21:47:15  Show Profile
xyzzy (wonder why you don't post with your real name?)

If you choose to use our software against our licensing agreement, we will take the necessary actions. This includes contacting your hosting company and your hosting company's upstream provider. If necessary, we will contact your Internet service provider also. Is this all really worth it? Is it worth losing your host or your ISP account over a simple unobtrusive text link? The choice is yours. We all know what your intentions were when you first decided to post here. You like to take other people's work and try to pass it off as your own.

You aren't the first person to try to use our software illegally, and definitely won't be the last. Since you have made your intentions perfectly clear from the beginning, I see no reason for you to continue to post on this forum, especially since you will get no support whatsoever, if you choose to use our forum against our licensing agreement (an agreement you expressly agreed to by downloading and using our forum). You can't go back now, you've already agreed to the restrictions. You agreed to not remove or modify the Powered By Logo/Text link with a link back to http://forum.snitz.com/ .

I wasn't around when the choice was made to use the GPL, since it's open to so many interpretations, even from this so-called expert that you say you contacted. I personally despise the GPL. But, our requirement that the Powered By Logo/Text link remain, is not invalid. We can and do require it. If you don't like that requirement, then you need to go find a different forum software.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2005 :  05:02:44  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
He may get support Richard, he just needs to register and post under a different name. Doesn't look like doing it will be much of a problem to Mr. xyzzy.

Go to Top of Page

Cliff
Average Member

United States
501 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2005 :  08:06:14  Show Profile  Visit Cliff's Homepage
I saw some posts over at vBulletin about people wanting to pay to completely remove any branding. I found one response quite relevant, "If you buy a Mercedes, do you ask to have the logo removed?"

I would think not. I no longer use Snitz as my host does not allow both asp and cf on the same server. I did use it on an intranet for a few years. I always felt and still do it is a terrific product and I was very proud to leave the link on there. I never questioned to remove it.

Just my thoughts. Gotta go now, trying to remove that nagging MicroSoft logo thingy from my OS.
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2005 :  08:43:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff
"If you buy a Mercedes, do you ask to have the logo removed?"
A perfect analogy Cliff

Xyzzy, by removing the the required code from Snitz not only are you in violation of Snitz licensing and an insult to the copyright holders but it's also a slap in the face to the dev team and community behind Snitz who put many, many hours every day into this product completely free of charge. Given all the work that has gone into Anitz over the years, I don't think it's too unreasonable or presumptuous of Snitz to ask us to retain one tiny, unobtrusive link back to their site by way of thanks whatever the GPL may say. As Richard keeps saying time and again, if you can't live with that then Snitz is not the product for you, it's that simple.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2005 :  09:23:08  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Ladies, Gentlemen, please keep it 'nice'; The fact that removing the linkback can be interpreted as a 'slap in the face' for the dev-team, and the community set aside, I think that the real question still stays ; If - and I say if!, I don't say that it does! - the GPL forbids the link-back-constraint, we should not use the GPL, but make our own license. The SPL if you will.
If the GPL does NOT forbid the link-bank-constraint, there's a lot of fuzz about nothing.

IF GPLForbidsLinkBackConstraint = true THEN
            SET SnitzLoosesGPL = true 
            OR
            SET SnitzLoosesLinkBackConstraint = true
ELSE
            ALotOfFussAboutNothing = true
END IF

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter

Edited by - MarcelG on 04 March 2005 09:24:19
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2005 :  11:20:12  Show Profile
And I'm agreeing with marcel. If mr. copyright is right in what he says, why don't we get a proper licence to cover our work? I don't want to plead with people's hearts and goodwill to keep the link or not, since it might not be covered by the GPL.

Has anyone emailed mr. copyright and asked him about his discrepancies?

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

xyzzy
Starting Member

Italy
17 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2005 :  12:28:55  Show Profile  Send xyzzy an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Davio

No: they prefer to insult me hoping that the problem will go away (it won't, of course).
It is childish, I know.
Cheers,

xyzzy
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2005 :  12:30:51  Show Profile
I don't see anybody insulting you, all I see is the copyright holders presenting you with the chioces available to you. If anybody's doing the insulting, it's you by refusing to credit people for their work.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2005 :  12:40:57  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Shaggy

I don't see anybody insulting you, all I see is the copyright holders presenting you with the chioces available to you. If anybody's doing the insulting, it's you by refusing to credit people for their work.

And (might I add) pretending all is well since it is supposed to be legal!

Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2005 :  13:13:08  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
I've emailed gnu as well. Waiting for the reply.

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2005 :  13:30:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by xyzzy

quote:
Originally posted by Davio

No: they prefer to insult me hoping that the problem will go away (it won't, of course).
It is childish, I know.
Cheers,

xyzzy

No one has insulted you. All you are doing now is trying to stir up (even more) trouble. Keep it up and you won't be posting here anymore.

Continuing this thread really isn't even necessary. You agreed to our license when you downloaded our software. You can either abide by our license (which you already agreed to), or not use our forum. Those are your only choices. I'm through discussing this. I'm tired of stating the same thing over and over again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07