RTE for Snitz 3.4
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2004 :  12:25:13  Show Profile
I've been away from the forums for a (long) while. I'm hoping to be back more frequently now. Anyway, back then Dave. was creating a RTE mod for Snitz 3.4 that would only require forum code to function. Things were coming along nicely but weren't complete. I dug out the archived topics where this was worked on/discussed:

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=45001
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=47227

What's the current status on this mod? Has any more progress been made since those topics? I'd like to see this effort revived! Dave., if you've gotten into other things and can't pick back up with this mod would you be willing to share your files as-is and let me have a look at what is left? I really think this mod was a great idea. TIA

cladon

Belgium
110 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2004 :  18:11:01  Show Profile
Yes i agree - While testing the GML code whe had included HTMLArea - There were some problems with the different browsers there are
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2004 :  21:08:26  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Thanks homeacademy for bringing this up again. I'd too like to see it come about!

Cheers,

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2004 :  23:16:24  Show Profile
After working on it for quite a while, I realized that the only way to sure-fire parse it correctly would be to implement a [font face="..." color="..."][/font] tags. I'll see if I can find the files, I have gone through so many reinstalls I don't know if they exist anymore.
Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2004 :  10:47:10  Show Profile
It would certainly make it easier for the mod to add that new forum code as you suggested. It probably wouldn't be that hard either. We could leave the current [ red] [/red] method of doing font colors etc for the non-rte mode and add the above style [font] tags for the rte editor. I sure hope you can find the files, it would be a royal shame to have to start from ground zero...
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2004 :  21:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
At one time were there security issues regarding an older RTE Mod that was released?

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2004 :  13:50:17  Show Profile
Yes, the original mod required HTML to be left on, which was the security risk. Nathan's Snitz Exchange was hacked and therefore closed because HTML was allowed so the old RTE mod could function. This new RTE mod was being designed to output forum code so HTML didn't have to be enabled. This eliminated the security risk, AFAIK.
Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 05 November 2004 :  07:44:46  Show Profile
Dave.: Any luck?
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 05 November 2004 :  23:12:35  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Thanks for the explanation, homeacademy!

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2004 :  21:11:04  Show Profile
No problem, Etymon!

Have you been able to find the files yet Dave?
Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 11 November 2004 :  22:10:54  Show Profile
Dave: It's been 10 days since your last post in this topic. Have you been able to find the files? Have you had a chance to look? Do you intend to pick this MOD back up or do you not have the time/inclination at this point? If not, would you mind sharing what code you have? I've seen you around the forums but not at this topic. I don't mean to push but am curious as to your status/feeling with this. This MOD was coming along great and I'd hate to loose the ground you covered. TIA
Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 12 November 2004 :  15:25:57  Show Profile
I can't find anything, I've been through too many re-installs and new computers to have it now. It really doesn't matter, it was SF3.4.03 and HTMLArea3.0a, both now outdated. There wasn't much to getting that to work either... Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 12 November 2004 :  16:21:18  Show Profile
That's really too bad And it does matter... the HTMLArea3.0 codebase, tho now in Beta, could have easily been updated by replacing the .js files without messing up the code you had modified. And, Snitz is now 3.4.05, but (at least AFAIK) that didn't change much and wouldn't have affected the way the mod was implemented or used. I'm still running 3.4.03, for that matter, and won't be upgrading anytime soon due to all my modifications. I stay current with the security patches etc.

If there wasn't all that much to getting it to work, could you detail how you went about it? I'm assuming you replaced the snitz format toolbar with the HTMLArea one. How did you handle the smilies table? The 'Preview Post' function? HTMLArea outputs XHTML (ie using tags like <br />, which I hate and never use). How did you code to handle all that and begin converting to forum code? Etc?

I'm real sorry I had to kinda drop out of these forums for awhile and consequently let this MOD fall flat. I'd like to pick back up with it, but I'm not sure I can start from ground zero. I could work on HTML to forum code conversion functions, etc, but I don't have the time to figure out all the simple but time-consuming beginning. Do you have a backup of this stuff on any of your servers? Or advice you can offer? TIA
Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 12 November 2004 :  17:24:38  Show Profile
Actually, there is a chance it's on one of my desktops downstairs, I'll go boot it up and check it out.
Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 12 November 2004 :  17:42:14  Show Profile
http://davux.com/download/snitz/rte.rar

I don't really even remember if it's 'rte' or 'RTE2', and I don't know what works or not, but that's what I used. =)

There should be a big replace section of post_info.asp (or maybe inc_func_common.asp) where I did all the HTML conversions, they they were passed to the ConvertToForumCode function.
Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 12 November 2004 :  18:21:31  Show Profile
Thanks Dave! My Winzip didn't didn't understand .rar but I found an unpacker and have a directory full of files. I'll sort through what is there over the weekend and let you/others know what I find. I really appreciate you getting these, thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07