Looking for 2 mods....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Comicozzi
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2004 :  12:18:31  Show Profile
I am looking for a mod that will allow me to define how much of a thread a casual surfer can see without registering. Perhaps first 250 characters of a post and the only way they would be able to see the rest is by registering / becoming a member. Maybe a "topics" mod that has already been written so that the entire forum can be viewed if you are a member and a link explaining to see the rest of the discussion to be come a member ">>click here>>"

a second mod would be to take the current table version of the mod and make it more of a heirachial / threaded type discussion... like this one....

http://www.dcscripts.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=expand_topics&forum=57&page=

Any thoughts on these two possibilities or mods already available?

thanks, it is appreciated....

Edited by - Comicozzi on 28 September 2004 12:22:01

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2004 :  12:37:49  Show Profile
The first MOD isn't available as far as I know, but with a few tweaks to topic.asp it should work easily.
Go to Top of Page

-gary
Development Team Member

406 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2004 :  14:58:09  Show Profile
The first is as simple as setting the strPageSize to something smaller when MemberID = -1 and exiting the DropDownPaging function when MemberID = -1. A line or two to make sure that they couldn't enter the &whichpage= variable greater than 1, display the message and you're done.

KawiForums.com

Go to Top of Page

Comicozzi
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2004 :  14:24:01  Show Profile
gary, could you write the mod for me? I will gladly pay you for your time and trouble.
Go to Top of Page

-gary
Development Team Member

406 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2004 :  16:35:50  Show Profile
Here's a link to a zip file containing the topic.asp file you need to use. This is a mod of the base file in 3.4.04. If you're using Speedball or some other modded forum, this won't help you, but maybe someone else would apply the mod to them.

If you're using the base code, then just replace your topic.asp file with this one. The number of replies show is configurable at line #69. It's currently set to 4, which gives you the original post and 4 replies.

I don't think I missed anything offhand, but I didn't try every variation, so if you have a problem let me know. The one bug I didn't take the time to fix, is that it will say "there are 1 more replies" instead of "there is 1 more reply", but a little grammar isn't going to hurt.

http://kawiforums.com/files/topic.zip

KawiForums.com

Go to Top of Page

Comicozzi
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2004 :  09:20:57  Show Profile
thank you sir, do I owe you anything for your time and trouble?
Go to Top of Page

Comicozzi
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2004 :  09:22:58  Show Profile
So, I guess the way this works, if someone it NOT a member, they see the limited thread but if they are a full member, they see it all?
Go to Top of Page

-gary
Development Team Member

406 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2004 :  14:54:54  Show Profile
It took all of five minutes to do, so even if I charged $200 an hour, it wouldn't cost anything.

If they are not a member, or are a member that is not logged in, they will see the restricted replies. If they see the login box in the upper right, instead of a "You are logged on as" line, then they're going to get this. Logged in members will never even know it's there.

KawiForums.com

Go to Top of Page

Comicozzi
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2004 :  08:38:40  Show Profile
I see line #69 changed, what are the other changes, I have a fairly modded topics.asp and do not want to screw any more up! what other lines were added to the topics.asp you supplied? thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07