Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

redbrad0
Advanced Member

USA
3725 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2005 :  22:54:41  Show Profile  Visit redbrad0's Homepage  Send redbrad0 an AOL message
Gary,

I was looking to change the memory that mssearch use's on my sql server but can't seem to figure out where to change it. I looked at http://www.sql-server-performance.com/full_text_search.asp and can't seem to get to a "performance" tab. Any pointers? I also have a very large database and it does take the CPU to 100% at first and then settles out and just spikes to 100% but then goes right back down to go back up to 100%. It appears that it averages out around 65% while it is running.

One thing I did find out while reading is about Full popuplation or Incremental population. The article I read that as most people should be able to tell that Incremental only updates information that has been changed. Full population erases all information and starts from scratch. The advantage of doing a Full population is that search's are faster ran against a full vrs incremental.

Now my guess is that you should normally use Incremental on a regular schedule (every couple hours) and Full population once or twice a week.

Any comments on any of this?

Brad
Oklahoma City Online Entertainment Guide
Oklahoma Event Tickets
Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  02:10:19  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Am I to understand that if you install this mod you would need to get your webhost to schedule the indexing daily/hourly? Is this possible?
Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  17:33:35  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Huwr?
Go to Top of Page

-gary
Development Team Member

406 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  23:02:31  Show Profile
You will. The more often the updates, the more up to date your index will be. The best option is to use change tracking with a background update. That will update the index on every insert and keep it updated in real time. It will also spread out your processing time instead of lumping it into a few large updates.

KawiForums.com

Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  23:33:43  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
-gary, how can I put that into something acceptable for my web host?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07