Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  09:39:52  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I have now disabled Full-text indexing for this database, it was using >50% of my dual hyperthreaded Xeons, so I would not advise anybody to use full-text searching on a forum the size of Snitz, it just swamps the server.
Go to Top of Page

-gary
Development Team Member

406 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  10:37:29  Show Profile
I run it on a 250,000 post 9,000 member site on 1 Athlon 2600 with absolutely no ill effects. Sounds like a server configuration problem to me.

KawiForums.com

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  10:43:02  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
there is nothing wrong with the config of the server, just mssearch when populating the catalog.
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  11:03:18  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message
quote:
forum the size of Snitz

Roughly how large is it?

Podge.

The Hunger Site - Click to donate free food | My Blog | Snitz 3.4.05 AutoInstall (Beta!)

My Mods: CAPTCHA Mod | GateKeeper Mod
Tutorial: Enable subscriptions on your board

Warning: The post above or below may contain nuts.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  11:07:16  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
currently about 400Mb, I discovered you can set it to background process the FTS,which I will try, but to be honest with the new SQL server it doesn't look like it will be necesary, I haven't managed to get it to time out yet, even searching the archives
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  11:34:16  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
I've had nothing but good luck and fast searches with full text searching. I don't see the results you are reporting HuwR. The initial population is probably the most CPU intensive. I populate the catalog about every 8 hours or so. If I don't have full text enabled the CPU will simply max out while someone does a search via the forum. I think my database is around 250 MB. Honesly, 400 MB is not that big. There are a lot of databases out there which are gigs to terabytes in size and they all use full text indexing just fine and dandy. Just my thoughts.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  11:49:35  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
sr_erick, there is a huge difference in performance with the search now. I've tried several searches (in the archived topcis) with known results, and they never completed before. Now they complete successfully.

I have to agree with Huw - the new server performs hugely better searching. Full text may be needed in the future, but for now the performance is way better than before, even with Full Text Indexing.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  11:56:31  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
populating the catalog every 8 hrs on this forum means we get inundated by posts saying they can't find stuff they have just posted, so it was set to poulate every two hours, but that maxes out the cpu for 10mins every 2 hrs, not a very good idea when you have 30 or 40 other databases on the server
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  14:27:44  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR
so it was set to poulate every two hours, but that maxes out the cpu for 10mins every 2 hrs

That would explain the seemingly intermittent delays I sometimes found when posting. Sometimes it would have taken 40 seconds from the time I clicked submit to when I was redirected back to the thread.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Podge.

The Hunger Site - Click to donate free food | My Blog | Snitz 3.4.05 AutoInstall (Beta!)

My Mods: CAPTCHA Mod | GateKeeper Mod
Tutorial: Enable subscriptions on your board

Warning: The post above or below may contain nuts.
Go to Top of Page

-gary
Development Team Member

406 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  15:44:05  Show Profile
Interesting, since I just did an incrmental on mine and it ran for 15 minutes on 6 hours of posts and never peaked over 20% on the processer above and most of the 15 hovered between 0 and 6%. The msssearch process is also run in low priority while SQL is run high, so any time the server needs the processer, it's available. I've never been much for paying for a server that just sits idle in case I need it either.

Saying that you wouldn't advise it for use on Snitz and that it "swamps the server" is quite misleading and over generalized IMO. If you have a better solution for those of us out there that can't afford a dedicated Dual Xeon box with 6GB of RAM to get our searches to stop timming out, then I'm sure everyone is all ears.

KawiForums.com

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  16:20:34  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
you have to remember I have about 40 snitz databases running on my server not just this one. I am only reporting what I found, and from the searches I've done on google it is fairly common for mssearch to swamp the cpu.
Go to Top of Page

-gary
Development Team Member

406 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  17:24:55  Show Profile
I wouldn't call saying "I would not advise anybody to use full-text searching on a forum the size of Snitz, it just swamps the server" far more than reporting what you found.

You can construe this as an attack I guess, but as the resident founder of Snitz, people take everything you say as gospel. In this case, I believe you're being overly general and condemning a perfectly functioning process outright by recommending to anyone that uses Snitz to use not full text indexing because it doesn't fit your specific situation.

KawiForums.com

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  17:50:39  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I am not one of the founders of Snitz, so perhaps you should get your facts right before launching an attack against me.
Go to Top of Page

-gary
Development Team Member

406 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  22:44:18  Show Profile
I wasn't attacking but I knew with your short temper that it would be construed that way. I do know the facts but I don't know what you prefer to title yourself as.

Either way, it's still an extreme generalization.

KawiForums.com

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 02 February 2005 :  00:50:18  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by -gary

I wasn't attacking but I knew with your short temper that it would be construed that way.

uh ??? what does this mean then, or are you in the habit of saying what you don't mean
quote:
You can construe this as an attack I guess
I hadn't considered it one till you mentioned it, you also have no idea how short or long my temper is, or whether I am actually angry at all when I wrote these, so I suggest you shut up.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07