Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Announcements
 Announcements: Community
 WindowsXP SP2 available for download now...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2004 :  20:00:33  Show Profile
Microsoft has made WindowsXP SP2 available for download:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2004 :  20:22:34  Show Profile
So I have to wait until they release it via windows update and let the automatic update download it over a period of weeks, months? This sucks!

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2004 :  20:25:13  Show Profile
Davio, you don't have to wait. You can download the network install and use it. The only reason they are suggesting that people wait, if you have only 1 computer, is the Express install will probably be smaller.

The date that it's supposed to be up on Windows Update is around August 25th.
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2004 :  20:27:42  Show Profile
The Express is smaller? I thought sp2 was much larger than 266mb. Oh well.
Thanks Richard.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2004 :  02:19:35  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Thanks for the download link!!!

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2004 :  04:28:50  Show Profile
Makes you wonder what the point of automatic update is, though, if we have to wait weekd for important updates like this. The reason we run AU is so we don't have to jump on the MS website every other day to check updates.

Luckily, there's always someone here keeping an eye on things and alerting the community to important updates. Thanks for the link, Richard.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

seven

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2004 :  18:52:08  Show Profile  Visit seven's Homepage
Everywhere I look people are saying don't install it yet... wait for the bugs to be worked out. What's Snitzy's input on this?

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2004 :  19:31:58  Show Profile
I installed it last night on my main computer, no problems yet. I did disable the security center (set the service to "disabled"). The popup blocker in IE is pretty nice. I had been using the MSN toolbar, but it kept causing IE to lockup and then crash. The Google toolbar was letting too many popups through. It's nice to not have to have an addon toolbar to block popups.

I also like that it removes all of the previous updates from the add/remove list. I'll be glad when we start using it at work. My script to install all of the critical/recommended updates has grown quite large. We'll be slipstreaming SP2 into our RIS install so setting up computers will be a little quicker for awhile.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2004 :  00:04:36  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
I installed it today, as well. No problems, so far, either. Contrary to what I expected, the firewall was not on and I kept it that way (use ZoneAlarm and will keep doing it). You don't see that many differences from what you had before. There are some nice small variations in IE. A nice one is the possibility to list and disable add-ons to IE.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2004 :  00:16:53  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
I installed it on one of my pcs a couple of weeks ago and can't browse or view network connections or get into connection properties. No big deal at the moment.... hoping MS will fix it...
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2004 :  08:17:09  Show Profile
Microsoft released a list of programmes that SP2 will not be compatible with which can be viewed here.

You gotta love the amount of Microsoft applications on the list!

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2004 :  08:48:49  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Saying the apps are incompatible is probably not correct. In many, you will need to tweak the Windows Firewall, if you plan to use it at all. I don't and I'm yet to find a problem with SP2, except for a very weird message from the firewall this morning, in spite of having turned it off in the new Security Panel.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

sy
Average Member

United Kingdom
638 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2004 :  15:06:42  Show Profile  Visit sy's Homepage  Send sy a Yahoo! Message
I have read some information that SP2 will install itself silently if win update is automatic (after installing BITS), anyone confirm this?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2004 :  16:40:24  Show Profile
Yes sy. Microsoft recommends that all users turn on the windows automatic update so it will download the SP2 in the background over a period of time. After it is finished downloading, you will be asked to install it.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

seven

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2004 :  21:30:50  Show Profile  Visit seven's Homepage
Well I installed SP2 for XP pro and all seems well... just a little slower at login. Anyone else experience this?

Now I am waiting for the slew of SP2 security updates to hit.

Go to Top of Page

redbrad0
Advanced Member

USA
3725 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2004 :  00:24:23  Show Profile  Visit redbrad0's Homepage  Send redbrad0 an AOL message
Anyone having any network problems with SP2? We have held off on installing it everywhere because of the questionable network problems (browsing networks etc.)

Brad
Oklahoma City Online Entertainment Guide
Oklahoma Event Tickets
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07