Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Announcements
 Announcements: Community
 WindowsXP SP2 available for download now...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2004 :  07:17:27  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, still got problems trying to open and view network connections.
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2004 :  04:24:44  Show Profile
I installed it on two computers, and startup does seem to be slower. My main concern at this time is that Norton AV's LiveUpdate doesn't seem to be working on my computer anymore, so I'll hold off installing SP2 on the other computers until I've fixed it.

Haven't really come across any other problems yet, though I am considering turning off the new pop-up blocker.
Go to Top of Page

Panhandler
Average Member

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2004 :  09:59:43  Show Profile  Visit Panhandler's Homepage
Auto-update is set to "on". Windows asks if it can download the SP2 files each time I start up the computer.
This has been going on for two weeks and I keep postponing it.

On my laptop (a different machine) I let it install.
I turned off the firewall and pop-up ad blocker.
Norton plus a router already accomplishes these things.
So far, I can't even tell its there.

"5-in-1 Snitz Common Expansion Pack" - five popular mods packaged for easy install
". . .on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam. . ."
HarborClassifieds
Support Snitz Forums

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2004 :  19:39:12  Show Profile
Windows Auto-Update hasn't said a word to me yet. Heard that the update is delivered on a phased basis and depends on where you are in the world and how often you are on the net.

So i guess the "phase" hasn't reached me yet. But I don't mind the wait. Gives me time to see other users experiences with the update and any problems they encounter.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

sy
Average Member

United Kingdom
638 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2004 :  16:30:35  Show Profile  Visit sy's Homepage  Send sy a Yahoo! Message
If anyone is to install SP2, run antivirus and spy/adware removers before doing so (security.kolla.de).

Whilst SP2 no doubt prevents lots of nasties, it doesn't do anything about ones already living in the installation and can stop Windows starting entirely. (Fix this by starting the last known good config and crossing fingers.)

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails

Go to Top of Page

chumbawumba

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2004 :  12:01:46  Show Profile
I've just installed SP2, I got a friend to download the full hit for me because I'm on a dialup. Not had any problems at all except 1 really weird one ... windows messenger will no longer report if i have new email waiting in my hotmail account. Clicking "My Email Inbox" from the messenger context menu opens outlook express rather than IE with hotmail. Thats weird. Anyone experiencing the same ? There is no option to change this that i can find anyway.
Go to Top of Page

redbrad0
Advanced Member

USA
3725 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2004 :  13:18:08  Show Profile  Visit redbrad0's Homepage  Send redbrad0 an AOL message
I have also installed SP2 and the Windows Security Alerts and it tells me that "Symantec AntiVirus reports that it is installed, but its status is unknown"

Chumbawumba
The only thing I can think of the top of my head is that the firewall blocked that part of msn. Try turning off the firewall and see if that helps.

Brad
Oklahoma City Online Entertainment Guide
Oklahoma Event Tickets
Go to Top of Page

masterao

Sweden
1678 Posts

Posted - 07 September 2004 :  14:12:29  Show Profile  Visit masterao's Homepage
redbrad0, Symantec has answered that question in their faq of the Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Information Center.

quote:

Q: Why does the Windows Security Center say that the status of my Norton security product is "unknown."
A: Your Norton security products contain tamper protection features that prevent malicious code from determining their status. This tamper protection also prevents the Windows Security Center from determining the status of your Norton security products. Shortly after Microsoft releases Service Pack 2, Symantec will make a correction available through LiveUpdate. This correction will allow the Windows Security Center to correctly identify the status of your Norton security products.

Jan
===========
FR Portal Forums | Active Users 4.0.20 Mod
Go to Top of Page

chumbawumba

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 07 September 2004 :  17:59:32  Show Profile
thanks for the suggestion Brad, but it didnt work. I've simply removed windows messenger and installed MSN messenger 6.2 . Thats fixed it !
Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2004 :  15:38:45  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
I have removed SP2 from my computer, too much trouble. Several folders froze up my computer completely (viewing "My Music" locked it up, when I tried closing the folder via ctrl-alt-delete, I ended up closing everything)

Media files were acting wierd, Limewire didnt work right, and I was having problems with my anti-virus software (Trend Micro)...

I removed it and everythign is working fine... I'll re-install it later when its worth a ***t

-Stim
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2004 :  18:16:57  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
Da_Stimulator, with the media files what was acting strange? I've got a few video clips i've compressed into both Divx and WMP9 Format and it's almost like the thing will play through and end but it doesn't go through the whole clip. If you start it back in the middle you will start in the middle and play a small section then it ends. It's strange.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2004 :  18:44:24  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
I was having that problem with video, and with audio, some mp3's wouldnt play at all... I removed sp2 and those same ones that wouldnt work, work.

sp2 seemed to operate fine with streaming media, but local media screws up.

-Stim
Go to Top of Page

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2005 :  08:42:33  Show Profile
I just installed a fresh XP with SP2 - no problems at all !
Go to Top of Page

pmallen4
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2005 :  00:57:37  Show Profile
No problems with XP or SP2, but I still wish I'd stuck with NT 4.0. I knew I'd be sorry
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2005 :  01:57:38  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by pmallen4

No problems with XP or SP2, but I still wish I'd stuck with NT 4.0. I knew I'd be sorry

Considering XP is a workstation OS and NT 4 is a server OS, I'm not sure that makes sense, and besides... NT 4 had tons of problems.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07