Page: of 2

Astralis

USA
1218 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2004 :  15:25:16  Show Profile  Send Astralis a Yahoo! Message
quote:

It's so easy to add Mods

??

Have you seen how many pages the Active Users mod topic is? And adding any mod has a high potential to interefere with everything else. Then, at every upgrade you need to start from scratch.
Go to Top of Page

MasterOfTheCats

103 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2004 :  17:40:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RichardKinser

The internationalization project, at least what I looked at when Bozden was working on it, affected the performance of the forum pretty significantly.

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere (couldn't locate it now) that the version you (or was it Huw?) tested was running 5 different languages at the same time. On the other hand I saw it running very well on a shared free web server (it was the site of Taku).

When you look at the internationalized code, you see that all strings are collected in one ASP include page and the actual strings in the code are replaced by variables. String concat is a costly (processor time) process but not avoidable in this case. There are additional application variables, but not excessive at all as they are kept once, not per user.

The problem with *multiple* simultaneous languages is with the server memory, basically the pre-compiling/caching system of IIS. In the 5 language case, you include 5 different language files INTO EVERY FILE, they get precompiled, so the memory resources needed increase 5 times. This is probably what you saw...

In single language case, this does not happen. Of course there will be some unavoidable overhead (say 5-10%), but if you compare it with the possibilities you get it is not that important.

In their development/test forum I read (when he was working on that project) that he devided the language files into three (admin/help/common strings) to decrease the performance hit. He also worked on CSS to save about 20-25% from file size and make it more adaptable. The time-zone mod was also implemented on that version. I also saw the ability to make member fields mandatory.

What he was working last when he left was the bi-di languages, such as Arabic. He also had plans for additions for people with disabilities.

Also, for a English only community, the upgrade work will be transparent, without any difference.

So far from my memory, it was over a year ago... I'd suggest a re-examination of that work. I did not see the code, but the results were promising...
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2004 :  17:49:38  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
Things I'd really like to see is first off WE MUST get CSS implimented. I think this is the most important. It will improve speed, especially for those on dial up. It will also reduce bandwidth usage.

A very short list of mods I'd like to see in the base version is:
Time Zone
Active Users
PM Mod
Uploading would be alright, but it's not something I need.

Another thing, I think some minor interface changes would be nice to keep up with the times. These mostly include topic.asp

However, if I could wish for anything, it would be CSS. We could then use templates and themes a lot more easily.

P.S. Hint* MSSQL Only version with SP's....hehe. Ok, might be pushing my luck there.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Edited by - sr_erick on 12 June 2004 17:51:20
Go to Top of Page

Gato

Brazil
92 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2004 :  18:21:30  Show Profile  Visit Gato's Homepage
Hey guys, look, I had been working on crashsite code and now he shut down the site but we keep with it on jag24.com/crashsite (we will put that online tomorrow, sunday!) That site isnt in ML yet but I already developed a code like crash's with tons of mods (crash's + some made by me). I had to stop the dev of it but I will restart soon... Just a few bugs left but nothing major... It works perfectly, the online but is the ML not being static, everytime you enter it goes to the default language, but that's a minor thing that can be fixed having a look in the cookies setup, I can fix in a minute but I plan to fix together with the New Release of it, with even mroe stuff and bugfixes...

So, I guess you will like it, if you want just test it and soon I will be releasing the bugfix for this minor thing! And if you can, help us with the translation into new languages!

Here is a list of all the mods deveoped/implemented by me and you have to add the crash's site MODs (the 2 separations mean the code 1.0 and the code 2.0):

All Mods have the possibility, if necessary, of Enable/Disable through the Admin Area
Mods already developed before the repack
-Users Can Choose a Default Language
-Recent Topics with GoTo Addition
-A member can be rated and also the admin can reset it (Rate Members Mod)
-Announcements can be shown with message or not in Portal, Header or both set by the Admin Pages
-Everything on Portal Page can be configured by the members to stay closed, maximized, minimized or all minimized (sub itens also). You can select which of the mods on portal page will have this option. The user has a special page to do it and make a customizable portal page. Then he can minimize, close or maximize the mods when they are chosen to stay open. (Min/Max Mod)
-The option to select the language number in the Admin Languages Config, so the users can see the calendar and dates in the way his date system works and also translated.
-You can choose who is able to select the languages and change them.
-Warn mod with some security stuff implemented.
-Extra userfields with some new stuff implemented into it, which makes of it a very nice and useful mod.
-Restrict downloads mod in file library, where you select a minimum number of posts for the user to be able to download and according to his level how many downloads per day an user can make. Useful to avoid not users who only register to download
-Rules Mod with the Admin Area.
-Quotes Mod in Portal Page and with the Min/Max Feature.
-Slash Mod modified to look just as Crash's.
-Members page modified to looks just as Crash's.
-inc_poll_portal modified to fits as forte's suggested.
-Top members modified to looks like as Crash's.
-Recent articles added in the front page with the Min/Max Option.

New Stuff
-Crash Yellow Mod with the option to edit the note in the Admin page.
-Birthdays on calendar with Enable/Disable Feature.
-Announcements delay set through the Admin Config Portal.
-Recent topics have been rewritten based on active topics, so it only shows the topics you have access, preventing the unmoderated and not allowed forums, also with this you have more options in the panel, good for the moderators and forums with subscribe functions...
-Active Topics Count fixed, working as a charm and redone to avoid the same problem above.
-Warn Members with edit options and an Admin Page where you can list all warned members, delete the warnings or edit them.
-Custom Policy with Format buttons.
-Moderators Page with the enable disable option of all special pages that mods can access...
-The Moderator Tasks Mod which I've rewritten the whole mod and it's very useful for the Admins to assign tasks for the Moderators or specific ones making the forum better.
-Moderator Area, with 3 pages: Complaint Manager, Warn Members & Moderator Tasks... The last 2 can be disabled or enabled through an admin page made specially to Config the Moderator's Area, the other one is showed or not depending if the alert moderator mod is enabled or not...
-Page waiter Mod created by forte.
-All Resources pages can use image tags without the old problems.
-New Upload System created by forte and a little modified by me to fit in some needs and in MultiLanguage.
-Upload Stuff with many modifications, so you can choose between the old system or the new one.
-Send Email to All Users Admin Page.
-Category and Header Cell Image Mod.
-Image Resize Feature.
-AntiSpam Registration Mod.
-User Fields with an option to set its order and also I converted all the files of userfields to response.write code instead of plain HTML and also fixed some little stuff related to the layout of it.
-Innactive Users Mod Add-On developed by forte.
-FAQ page converted to Multilanguage by Myrosy
-Added the Format buttons where I find necessary.
-Member Registration mail reminder. In Accounts pending you have a link to send an email to the member you want to remind to activate his account or send if you had problems with the Mail server...
-Banner Mod completly different. Now you can select through the Admin Area: Use 2 different banner window at the same time or just one; Choose the banner type (random at each page reload or random like the quotes mod); Setup the banner delay if selected the random as quotes; Choose to show the Banner's Window on ALL pages or just the First Page. A new page was created to configure the other banner window.
-pop_download.asp reformulated so you don't need to click so much, it will automatically check if you are able to download or not. If so it will automatically redirect you to the file otherwise a message will be shown.
-Classifieds Mod. This has been rewritten to response.write code, a new layout like crash's has been implemented, so it looks very nice and much more integrated with the Site. Also the Recente Classifieds has been added to the Portal Page with the Min/Max Mod ready.
-The option to set the recent articles and recent classifieds items number was added in the Admin Portal Config as well as the currency symbol of the classifieds and if you want to show the Classifieds Categories on All pages or not.
-A reformulated WebSearch Mod. With this one you can add the search engines you want, edit, delete, disable and enable them... Also you have a special page to make the search and the small window in the First Page with the Min/Max Mod integrated.
-Option to disable/enable the Difficulty and Forum Version in the Library. Useful to non snitz forums or libraries that doesn't use files related to this type of topic.
-HeadLine with the Link Possibility, edition, deletion and expiration time, just like the announcements.
-Option to upload the file to the library, place a link to the file or use both in the file library. Also the editing is good and for both, but if you didn't upload a file you cannot upload anymore whenn editing, just edit the link. That was my choice. Very useful if you want to link the file if it's a big one or if you use another host or many other possibilities.
-Convertion of many, many files from plain HTML to response.write code, what avoids some problems and makes the Site more uniform...
-Pallete Mod in the Admin Colors Config, to make it easier to setup the colors.
-Minor modifications in MANY files but that will make a huge difference.
-Unoticed bugs fixed as well as some convertions missing.

It was almost 200 files modifies and created!
It includes now almost 50 New MODS and Add-Ons(without the existing Crash Mods and the others I have already developed)

Get the new Gato's MultiLanguage Portal Code with 6 Languages Included and more than 70 MODs & 30 New Features
Get more information here
Go to Top of Page

MarkJH

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2004 :  19:09:43  Show Profile  Visit MarkJH's Homepage
But no Timezone MOD, Gato?

Bandlink.net - http://www.bandlink.net/
Bandlink Music Forums - http://www.bandlink.net/forum/
Go to Top of Page

Gato

Brazil
92 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2004 :  22:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Gato's Homepage
I am afraid not, but its something that we could implement, dont think its difficult...

Get the new Gato's MultiLanguage Portal Code with 6 Languages Included and more than 70 MODs & 30 New Features
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2004 :  05:58:38  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
The Timezone mod is pretty difficult and with the advent of windows 2003 may not even work on most servers because of the java engine differences (the mod uses server side javascript to ascertain the timezone of the server).

Master of Cate.
Even with one language the Internationalised version has serious performance issues over the current code. We have many complaints from users whose hosts complain about resourse usage on shared servers, so we are not about to release something which massively increases the usage of an average forum.
Go to Top of Page

Gato

Brazil
92 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2004 :  08:42:05  Show Profile  Visit Gato's Homepage
But how come HuwR, the way I used it cant be so much more usage, the only difference is a quite big number of variables, does it consumes so much from the host that it slows down??? In the sites I implemented the performance was the opposite, it was faster...

See you

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2004 :  11:00:08  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I am just reporting what I found and it consumed at least 50% more Ram and 30% more processor than the existing code, running on the same server and the same database.
Go to Top of Page

Gato

Brazil
92 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2004 :  11:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Gato's Homepage
Oh, really, the same version I posted in Crash Site?! Did you try it out?

see you

Go to Top of Page

MarkJH

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2004 :  14:44:56  Show Profile  Visit MarkJH's Homepage
Couldn't it be as simple as having an additionial field in the Profile that gives you a drop-down with +/- 12 hours either side of GMT, that the member can select then whenever a time is displayed on the forum, it displays it taking into account the value chosen in the Profile?

I've seen similar in other forums and if the clocks go forward or back, the member just alters the field via their Profile. I don't know, perhaps I'm missing something here.

Bandlink.net - http://www.bandlink.net/
Bandlink Music Forums - http://www.bandlink.net/forum/
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2004 :  17:09:47  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Well, yeah...that's exactly what I was thinking. But...I'm no programmer...so I might be completely wrong.

mmm..this reply didn't really help, dit it ?

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07