New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stuF
Average Member

United Kingdom
561 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2004 :  05:16:49  Show Profile  Visit stuF's Homepage
Im currenty going through the forum code and making the changes which my rudimentary coding skills will allow me to perform. I was wondering if it was possible to add the following feature to the topic.asp page.

Instead of having the quick reply box sat there all the time, why not have a 'quick rely' button next to the regular reply button, which when pressed will drop dwn the quick reply box below.

It would be a good way of tidying topic.asp for those forums which use the quick reply feature.

http://36-degrees.co.uk

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2004 :  05:27:14  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
The idea of the quick reply box is that it is there all the time and you don't have to press anything to use it, it wouldn't be a quick reply box if you did.
Go to Top of Page

stuF
Average Member

United Kingdom
561 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2004 :  07:16:29  Show Profile  Visit stuF's Homepage
i suppose, but wouldnt clicking one button, and the reply box appearing still be quicker than clicking and loading another page.

Its more of an aesthetic concern than a practical one. Plus, im limited by space due to having my sites ayout integrated into the forum pages, this would simply allow me to free up some more room.

Edit: i noticed this approach has been taken on a number of other forums, and having the option to do it with snitz would be good.

Edited by - stuF on 04 June 2004 07:17:20
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2004 :  07:47:55  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
Snitz is designed to to be as cross platform and browser compatible as possible, putting the quickreply in a container which can be hidden/shown using javascript will not work in all browsers, so to implement it to work in all browsers would require a submit and refresh of the page so you may just as well use the reply page.
Go to Top of Page

stuF
Average Member

United Kingdom
561 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2004 :  07:48:50  Show Profile  Visit stuF's Homepage
oh right, didnt realise that it would cause cross-comp. issues, fair enough :D

Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2004 :  07:59:24  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
quote:
Originally posted by stuF

i suppose, but wouldnt clicking one button, and the reply box appearing still be quicker than clicking and loading another page.

Its more of an aesthetic concern than a practical one. Plus, im limited by space due to having my sites ayout integrated into the forum pages, this would simply allow me to free up some more room.

Edit: i noticed this approach has been taken on a number of other forums, and having the option to do it with snitz would be good.

Can you give a link where this feature can be seen?
I only know of forums where you have to "enable" the quick reply.

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

altisdesign

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2004 :  08:29:24  Show Profile
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=126442&st=0#entry899925

Invision board has this feature

Altis Design offers all manner of web design services to a variety of commercial and personal clients
Go to Top of Page

stuF
Average Member

United Kingdom
561 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2004 :  08:31:41  Show Profile  Visit stuF's Homepage
i knew id seen it somwhere. Its a nice feature.

Go to Top of Page

daxl
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2004 :  06:21:18  Show Profile
can you help me get the quick reply to be visiable even to visitors and get the user name and password field to be blank so all what they have to do is fill in name & pass or have it by default set to guest\guest.
what needs to be changed in the code below:

if strShowQuickReply = "1" and strDBNTUserName <> "" and ((Cat_Status = 1) and (Forum_Status = 1) and (Topic_Status = 1)) and ArchiveView = "" then
		call QuickReply()
	end if

"<input name=""Refer"" type=""hidden"" value=""" & request.servervariables("SCRIPT_NAME") & "?" & chkString(Request.QueryString,"refer") & """>" & vbNewLine & _
			"              <input name=""UserName"" type=""hidden"" value=""" & strDBNTUserName & """>" & vbNewLine & _
			"              <input name=""Password"" type=""hidden"" value=""" & Request.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User")("Pword") & """>" & vbNewLine & _

Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2004 :  06:49:59  Show Profile
If you remove "and strDBNTUserName " the text area should appear to visitors.
Remove the part in red.
	if strShowQuickReply = "1" and strDBNTUserName <> "" and ((Cat_Status = 1) and (Forum_Status = 1) and (Topic_Status = 1)) and ArchiveView = "" then
		call QuickReply()
	end if

As for the inputs, this is done in post.asp. You can probably use the code from there .

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

daxl
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2004 :  09:46:54  Show Profile
thanks
just to make sure i got it rite,is this it around line 603 in post.asp:

around line 603 in post.asp
if mlev = 4 or _
mlev = 3 or _
mlev = 2 or _
mlev = 1 then 
	Response.Write	"              <input name=""UserName"" type=""hidden"" value=""" & strDBNTUserName & """>" & vbNewLine & _
			"              <input name=""Password"" type=""hidden"" value=""" & strCkPassWord & """>" & vbNewLine
else
	if (lcase(strNoCookies) = "1") or _
	(strDBNTUserName = "" or _
	strCkPassWord = "") then 
		Response.Write	"              <tr>" & vbNewLine & _
				"                <td bgColor=""" & strPopUpTableColor & """ noWrap vAlign=""top"" align=""right""><font face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=""" & strDefaultFontSize & """><b>UserName:</b></font></td>" & vbNewLine & _
				"                <td bgColor=""" & strPopUpTableColor & """><input name=""UserName"" maxLength=""25"" size=""25"" type=""text"" value=""" & Request.Form("UserName") & """></td>" & vbNewLine & _
				"              </tr>" & vbNewLine & _
				"              <tr>" & vbNewLine & _
				"                <td bgColor=""" & strPopUpTableColor & """ noWrap vAlign=""top"" align=""right""><font face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=""" & strDefaultFontSize & """><b>Password:</b></font></td>" & vbNewLine & _
				"                <td bgColor=""" & strPopUpTableColor & """ valign=""top""><input name=""Password"" maxLength=""25"" size=""25"" type=""password"" value=""" & Request.Form("password") & """></td>" & vbNewLine & _
				"              </tr>" & vbNewLine
	end if 
end if
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2004 :  11:04:22  Show Profile
You got it .

I think you need to leave this line in.
"<input name=""Refer"" type=""hidden"" value=""" & request.servervariables("SCRIPT_NAME") & "?" & chkString(Request.QueryString,"refer") & """>" & vbNewLine & _

That brings you back to the forum page after you post the message.

And you might have to replace this part
value=""" & strCkPassWord & """

With this
value=""" & Request.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User")("Pword") & """

_-/Cripto9t\-_

Edited by - cripto9t on 19 December 2004 11:13:39
Go to Top of Page

daxl
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2004 :  23:47:35  Show Profile
Thanks cripto9t for your help

now if only i can add another icon to topic.asp that will paste reply with quote to the quick reply it would be perfect
can the following code be modified to do that?

Response.Write	"<a href=""post.asp?" & ArchiveLink & 
"method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=" & Reply_ReplyID & "&TOPIC_ID=" & Topic_ID & "&FORUM_ID=" & Forum_ID & """>" & getCurrentIcon(strIconReplyTopicSmall,"Reply with Quote","align=""absmiddle"" hspace=""1""") & "</a>" & vbNewLine

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by - daxl on 20 December 2004 02:50:07
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 20 December 2004 :  08:08:22  Show Profile
No, that's for replys and it's a link to post.asp, which you are trying to avoid .
I don't think you can use quote methods here.
You can't quote replies because it has no way of knowing which reply.
You could give the text area the value of the topic message, like it's done in post.asp (search post.asp for TopicQuote to see how it's done).
But it will always be there whether you want it or not.

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

daxl
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 21 December 2004 :  01:49:32  Show Profile
quote:
cripto9t

No, that's for replys and it's a link to post.asp, which you are trying to avoid

lol ;) yes i know that ,what i meant was modifying that to be used in topic.asp.i was just thinking it might be done as they have it in php forums.
not a big deal any way.they can do it the old way or copy and paste to QR.
would you believe that it took developing a mod just for that.

Thanks cripto9t for your help

Edited by - daxl on 21 December 2004 01:56:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.37 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07