New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LR777
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  17:45:04  Show Profile
Hello Everyone,

First of all I hope this is the right place to put my first post.

I realise there is a lot of hard work that has gone in to producing the Snitz Forum Board & I feel it is greatly appreciated by everyone that uses them.

My only gripe is the add ons or 'Mods'.

For all who like messing about changing strings etc the mods must be a great challenge, but the idea of going through line after line of coding, hoping & praying at the end of it all that the particular mod is going to work, isn't for me & I guess for a lot of others, if they were brutally honest.

My Question.

Why aren't the 'Mods'. pre-packaged ? In otherwords, just coded into a file ready to upload .

Edited by - LR777 on 30 May 2004 17:45:59

Jezmeister

United Kingdom
1141 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  17:48:37  Show Profile  Visit Jezmeister's Homepage
quite a lot already do come with the modified file that you can use if you are using a clean install of Snitz. Alternatively Image forums and Crashs forums come with lots of mods already installed

Edited by - Jezmeister on 30 May 2004 17:49:35
Go to Top of Page

DavidRhodes

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  19:07:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LR777
Why aren't the 'Mods'. pre-packaged ? In otherwords, just coded into a file ready to upload .

It's because it simply wouldn't work, lets say you have a standard install, then install mod A which replaces existing files, when you want to install mod B how would it know you already have mod A installed?
There are surely over a hundred mods for Snitz, be they large or small, and most if not all at least modify the config.asp file.

The UK MkIVs Forum
Go to Top of Page

LR777
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  07:53:33  Show Profile
Hi David,

But what would work is a batch of mods available as a next step platform, so take the forum as it is provided in 3.4.04. provide four mod add ons as a variable board, another four mods as another alternative forum board.

or

Alternatively, find out which are the ten most popular Mod, add ons & take 3.4.04 to the next step.

only a thought.
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  07:58:05  Show Profile
That was very popular when 3.4 (I think) first came out. I did a package of PM, Active Users, Avatars and Events as a package deal. The beauty of mod's is people install what they want, and don't have to have the ones that they don't need.
Go to Top of Page

khayman
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2004 :  11:19:15  Show Profile
I'm new to the Snitz forums and I just recently got 3.4.05 up and running with one mod(avatar) installed. I realize this is an old thread, but I have to agree with LR777, it would be very nice to download Snitz with at least the most popular mods installed already. I'm not a coder by nature and while I had very little trouble getting the Avatar mod installed, the subsequent Poll mod I tried to install after that gave me serious headaches to the point I gave up. I have a serious new appreciation for programmers because I could not be one! I almost went nuts trying to make the necessary edits for the Poll mod.

So let me cut to the chase. What are the snitz mods/packages available that have common mods already I installed? I'm talking a snitz forum/mod I can install that has the avatar mod, poll mod and maybe some others? Is there a favorite among users? Are there some to avoid? I'm searching the forums, but I've yet to find anything.
Go to Top of Page

Panhandler
Average Member

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2004 :  16:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Panhandler's Homepage
I've considered putting my modded forum up for general usage.
It has poll mod, http referrer, spell check, Mike's/Proder's file attachment and Site Integration all working in harmony together.

However, there is another one or two minor modifications to suit my needs that other's might not understand.

If I make it available, there would be absolutely no support from me.
I don't remember how I did them, other than to follow directions and ask for help here at Snitz Forums. I have a few notes but you would be totally on your own.

That may be okay for now, but if later you wanted to make or add some modifications - who could help you?
Not me, and probably no one here - unless you hire their time.

The beauty of Snitz is its flexibility and customization.
However, it takes mental muscle and the feeble minded such as myself find the work-out quite challenging.

Perhaps you may find that paying someone to make the mods for you an easier and quicker way to get what you want?

"5-in-1 Snitz Common Expansion Pack" - five popular mods packaged for easy install
". . .on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam. . ."
HarborClassifieds
Support Snitz Forums

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07