MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 Poll MOD - include Active Polls in Active Topics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NorwegianViking

Denmark
119 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2004 :  22:34:19  Show Profile  Visit NorwegianViking's Homepage
Hi

Poll MOD is great.

Would it be possible to have the output of Active_polls.asp included on the Active.asp page?

As most of my users go directly to Active Topics, I would like them to see the active Polls, even if no new posts is made in any of them.

With Active Users MOD this only requires an include line, but that did not work with Poll MOD.

Is there anybody who could give a hint (or two )?

kind regards
NorwegianViking

Mod installation for beginners | User registration problems?

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2004 :  04:24:05  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage
This is not exactly what you want, but the hint may be there - or, an alternative, anyway. Try this topic: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49038#265296

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2004 :  17:21:56  Show Profile
It probably can be done, but you sure you want poll topics that has had no new replies keep showing up on the active topics page? I mean, do your users need to know, when each time someone votes in a poll?

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

NorwegianViking

Denmark
119 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  04:10:37  Show Profile  Visit NorwegianViking's Homepage
The problem is that my users, like any other modern human beeing, is capable of remembering past events from no more than two days. Therefore polls disappear if no-one replies to them for a while (more than two days).

I use Polls to let people have a say on the developement of the Forum, and as long as the Poll is open, I would like it to be visible from Active Topics.
As an example, a Poll that was recently "bumped" suddenly got 10% more votes, just because it was visible again.

Maybe it could be configurable, when setting up a Poll you could decided if it should be shown in Active Topics or not.
- always
- only if new vote.

kind regards
NorwegianViking

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  06:51:16  Show Profile
I'll see what I can do.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

NorwegianViking

Denmark
119 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  07:04:08  Show Profile  Visit NorwegianViking's Homepage
Great!!!!!!!!

kind regards
NorwegianViking

Go to Top of Page

adslonline
Starting Member

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2004 :  14:38:23  Show Profile  Visit adslonline's Homepage
If you don´t want a poll to get out of viewing range so fast, would it be an option to make it ´sticky´ somehow?

www.adslforum.nl
Go to Top of Page

NorwegianViking

Denmark
119 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  10:03:28  Show Profile  Visit NorwegianViking's Homepage
Yes, but Sticky topics is only shown on Active Topics when there has been activity in the topic...

kind regards
NorwegianViking

Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  10:13:10  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
I'd suggest updating the T_LAST_POST value every time a user votes.

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  10:15:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OneWayMule

I'd suggest updating the T_LAST_POST value every time a user votes.

That would be the easiest way. If he doesn't mind the last post date reflecting a user who last voted in a poll.

Support Snitz Forums

Edited by - Davio on 13 February 2004 10:15:55
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  10:20:41  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
quote:
If he doesn't mind the last post date reflecting a user who last voted in a poll

I think this is how it should work with polls, since it should not only handle replies as activity, but also votes.
If a poll with 0 replies shows up on active.asp every day you'd know that people are voting.

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

NorwegianViking

Denmark
119 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  12:21:47  Show Profile  Visit NorwegianViking's Homepage
Thanks guys for doing some thinking on this.

But I still think it should be possible to see the Poll on the Active Topics, even if no replies or Votes is made, especially if it is an important Poll.

But the option to require either a vote or a reply before it is shown is also nice.

As I said before, this could be made configurable when setting up the Poll.
"Always show this Poll in Active Topics?" Yes/No
"Vote causes Poll to show in Active Topics?" Yes/No
Both could default to NO, to keep backward compability for those upgrading.

Another nice feature would be like in the Announcement MOD, to set a timespan for the Poll. So it would close itself after a set periode.

Thanks guy. Hope to see this in the next update!

kind regards
NorwegianViking

Edited by - NorwegianViking on 13 February 2004 12:27:58
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  18:02:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OneWayMule
I think this is how it should work with polls, since it should not only handle replies as activity, but also votes.
If a poll with 0 replies shows up on active.asp every day you'd know that people are voting.

I disagree. That is how the poll mod was orignally, back when it was just starting out. It updated the last post date. Users complained about the poll topic showing up as if a new reply was made and when they viewed it, now new replies were made to the poll. They got frustrated.

Hence why I created a new field to hold when a user last voted in the poll.

I have active polls running on my forum and I check my forum everyday. I notice that users are voting in the poll but I don't have a clue which answer they voted for. So unless users are keep track of how many users voted for what, the last time they viewed the poll, then compare that to the next time they view the poll, then maybe that would make sense to show the poll up everytime someone voted.

For me personally, I would check in on a poll after a number of users have voted, to see which way the results are going. But checking the poll after a user voted is just too much.

So Viking, unless I hear more poll mod users requesting this feature, this won't be implemented in the poll mod. But it can be done for you for your forum.

The Time Set Poll feature is something I am considering to add the poll mod. A lot of users have requested that.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  18:04:27  Show Profile
In fact, that was why I moved the polls from the active topics page and into a page of it's own. So users can check on any active polls when they feel like, without them keep showing up on the active topics.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07