DEV Discussions (General)
 Request for MOD on Snitz forums
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NorwegianViking

Denmark
119 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  00:06:47  Show Profile  Visit NorwegianViking's Homepage
Hello administrators!

After installing Davio's Referer Mod on my own forum, I now beg you to install this in this forum also.
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50559

It is so annoying to end up on a blank screen (in 3.4.03, at least one ended up at default.asp).

I know that you view this as a stupid feature in NIS (blocking the HTTP Referer), but as so many use NIS noadays, it would be very useful to have this MOD installed here at Snitz. (Until you decide to include it in the code

To support my view, I quote Rurib:

quote:

Rurib wrote:
I guess the mod was created precisely to address one of the most common issues in the Help forums. Recognisedly this is a NIS issue and NIS 2004 even has a way to allow you to avoid it, but the simple addtion suggested by the mod can avoid a lot of user trouble and admin headaches.

I don't know whether this will make the base code, that's someone else's call, but as long as the code uses the referer info as it does now, it will be easy to provide a similar way around.

Please!
I'll buy you a bear next time you come to Denmark!
It's just a few lines of code. I'm sure you ASP genius people can fix that?

( when I hit "Post New Topic" I will end up at a blank page again )

kind regards
NorwegianViking

Mod installation for beginners | User registration problems?

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  05:02:23  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

( when I hit "Post New Topic" I will end up at a blank page again )

good.
Go to Top of Page

NorwegianViking

Denmark
119 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  08:51:04  Show Profile  Visit NorwegianViking's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

good.

Oh, thanks for your extensive answer.
Guess that means no?

kind regards
NorwegianViking

Mod installation for beginners | User registration problems?
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  16:25:28  Show Profile
That means it's an NIS problem as previously stated. You said it yourself :

quote:
I know that you view this as a stupid feature in NIS (blocking the HTTP Referer),

It's like saying "I have Unix on my server, can you make Snitz work on that ?" .. same response.
Go to Top of Page

zeth

United Kingdom
117 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  16:39:46  Show Profile  Visit zeth's Homepage
For many of us there is not really a choice, when we are at home we can choose what we put on our computers. For many companies and universities, putting NIS on all computers is policy, so when we are on somebody's else's time we have to use it.

I think that Snitz should work around this major piece of software, and it should also support Mozilla by including the Mozilla fix into the main code.

But then I think you should be making the best ASP forum system available. Those in charge probably have other motives.

THEOLOGY.ME.UK CROSSRING.COM
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  16:53:50  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Guys, let's not start this discussion all over again. We have provided a mod you all can use that, AFAIK, fixes the issue. You can install it and fix your own forums.
Here this has been discussed extensively and, believe me, it's just counter productive to have to discuss it over and over again.
NorwegianViking, your request has been made, now please let's get over this subject.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  17:47:32  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
quote:
and it should also support Mozilla by including the Mozilla fix into the main code.

What's that? I've never had any problems using Snitz with Mozilla.

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  18:06:39  Show Profile
I was going to include the Mozilla fix (it's for the insertion of code tags and such in a textarea), but I couldn't find the completed code.
Go to Top of Page

zeth

United Kingdom
117 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  18:52:50  Show Profile  Visit zeth's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by RichardKinser

I was going to include the Mozilla fix (it's for the insertion of code tags and such in a textarea), but I couldn't find the completed code.

Perhaps what I said came out a little too mean, anyway please do add it as soon as possible, this worked for me:

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49230

Go to Top of Page

zeth

United Kingdom
117 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2004 :  07:39:48  Show Profile  Visit zeth's Homepage
I have noticed you have added Mozilla support to this site also. Cheers Mate, it has made posting to the site ten times quicker.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07