Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Microsoft Suing MikeRoweSoft.com
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  16:20:15  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by zeth

quote:
Originally posted by Davio

or to make fun of them, and to voice thier opinion on these companies.

You have both a right to review and a right to parody in America and Britain as far as I'm aware.

I agree, look at http://f**kmicrosoft.com , how come Microsoft hasn't gone after them?

Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  18:19:24  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
Looks like they are softening up. http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/01/20/rowe.fight/

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  18:47:11  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
Legal right or no, someone at MS should be fired. This has cost the company far more in money and PR than it was ever worth in the first place.

Ken
===============
Worldwide Partner Group
Microsoft
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  20:31:01  Show Profile
Hasn't changed my view of them, and I'm sure I am not alone. Microsoft isn't "suing" this kid, it's not like they are taking this kid to court. They filed their dispute with WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization). You can find out more information on Domain Name Dispute Resolution Service here: http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/index.html

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, it could set a precedent on how phonetically similar domain names are handled in the future.
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  20:32:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sr_erick

Looks like they are softening up. http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/01/20/rowe.fight/

and again, this Mike Rowe character shows his true self:
quote:
"Most of them have no idea how big it's gotten," he said Monday. "I went to school today, and only a couple of people stopped me to ask what's going on. I do think it'll be very good for me in the long run. Getting into university might be easier for me after this."
Go to Top of Page

zeth

United Kingdom
117 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  20:38:08  Show Profile  Visit zeth's Homepage
I think it is fun how a teenager can pull off a stunt like this, he has made himself into a media event! This reminds me of the really good book 'leaving reality behind: the battle for the soul of the internet', has anyone else read this?

THEOLOGY.ME.UK CROSSRING.COM
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2004 :  21:29:19  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by RichardKinser

and again, this Mike Rowe character shows his true self

Don't start nothin, won't be nothin. Will Smith, Agent J, MiB

True colors or not, MS didn't have to take the bait. Sometimes just doing nothing is the better move.

Ken
===============
Worldwide Partner Group
Microsoft

Edited by - seahorse on 20 January 2004 21:30:29
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 21 January 2004 :  22:05:11  Show Profile
I am starting to see some bad stuff happening to Mike Rowe. There are stories coming off his front page. I seen an update yesterday, and it was removed then in less than 24 hours.

Look I support someone who beleives they are being hard done by, but when things start to change on a site that removes information that lets the true information out, you need to question why. Is due to the fact that it is a scam, or is it that they know that the information could be bad for their defence in keeping the domain name??

If Microsoft do win the case, then that would simply mean that they can take any site they so choose to do so with. There is something in each site that refers to them in one way or another..

So where does it end? snitz.com as Microsoft is mentioned on the site in a way that Microsoft may not want to know about it. So they sue snitz.com for using their name brand on their site.

Just my 20 cents worth.

Cheers,

David Greening
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2004 :  02:05:00  Show Profile
have y'all seen this:

Mike Rowe Official WIPO Book As Seen On TV (link to eBay Auction)

If this auction was really started by this Mike Rowe kid, then this is getting quite ridiculous now...
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2004 :  02:26:44  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
Yep, I seen it when he first posted it and hit counter said 2. And yes, it was him because I have been following some discussions in the forum and he was asking if he should or not. I agree, this is way overboard and completely rediculous.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

weeweeslap

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2004 :  03:02:52  Show Profile  Visit weeweeslap's Homepage  Send weeweeslap an AOL message  Send weeweeslap a Yahoo! Message
well, he is doing what he wanted to do all along, make money out of the domain name. Just my opinion, but I do believe that this kid registered the domain with the intent to come to what it has come to now, that is make like $50,000 out of $10.

coaster crazy
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2004 :  05:55:24  Show Profile
From the Star Telegram:
quote:
Teen agrees to change name of his Web site

SEATTLE -- A Canadian teen-ager whose Web site address bothered a certain giant software company will find a new home on the Web, Microsoft Corp. said Friday.

Mike Rowe, a 17-year-old resident of Victoria, British Columbia, has agreed to pick a new name for his Web site, www.mikerowesoft.com, Microsoft spokesman Jim Desler said.

Mike's father, Kim Rowe, confirmed that his son had struck an agreement with Microsoft. Rowe said his son could not be interviewed Friday because he had to study for final exams.

Desler said Microsoft would cover Mike's costs of changing to a new Web site, and help the teen get Microsoft certification training and other gifts, hoping to nuture "his interest in technology.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”

Edited by - Shaggy on 28 January 2004 05:56:15
Go to Top of Page

Doug Joseph
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2004 :  11:05:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RichardKinser

have y'all seen this:

Mike Rowe Official WIPO Book As Seen On TV (link to eBay Auction)

If this auction was really started by this Mike Rowe kid, then this is getting quite ridiculous now...

Richard

I tend to agree with you on this. Someone early in the thread said something about voice activated interfaces, which was my early thought before reading the thread, and I also was anxious to see how long it would take someone to use the precedent.

The guys at MS don't live in the now. They live in the hereafter. And "hereafter" this, "they be" voice activated interfaces on everything. MS doesn't seem to go in much for the pre-millennial prophetic viewpoint (the Book of Revelation, the second coming of the Lord, and the elements melting with fervent heat). They seem to be more into making sure that if Star Trek ever becomes a reality, it won't be the fictional L.C.A.R.S. OS running those ships; it'll be Microsoft.

Now granted, somebody already pointed out that mechanical confusion over the two names would send people to M$ instead of the kid, nine times out of ten. I would agree that would be true of a voice activated interface. But, again, it ain't about the piddling $10K or even the (increased but still piddling $) amount of the legal effort. It's about the hereafter... their hereafter. It's all about precedent.

They both (M$ and the MikeRowe$oft KID) are cut from the same cloth; the mindset that the best way to predict the future is to make it happen. Seems are both doing a little future making. It's just interesting to watch because "the future" that the kid is looking toward is so shallow and nearsighted, when compared with how far out in front the vision of M$'s legal team is. It seems they're both going to get what they wanted.

Sincerely,
Doug Joseph

Edited by - Doug Joseph on 28 January 2004 11:18:03
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2004 :  12:16:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
As far as eschatology goes (study of end times), I'm not sure the 17 year old has future events in mind other than fattening his wallet, buying cool stuff, and scoring with the ladies. I would imagine that M$ would follow a more Postmillennial theology with the idea that mankind is advancing himself and society is getting better and better with time and, therefore, bringing in the Kingdom of God. Although, I don't think they have that spelled out in any of their corporate documents. I'm also sure they don't have any conditions or clauses in their licensing agreements or warranties that protect them in the event of the earth being purged.

Participate in my nonsense
Go to Top of Page

zeth

United Kingdom
117 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2004 :  07:48:09  Show Profile  Visit zeth's Homepage
I was a bit confused for a moment, I thought I was on one of my theology websites. Talking about the MikeRowansoft kid and eschatology reminds me of the old joke about Matthew 5:5:

Blessed are the geeks,
for they will inherit the earth.

THEOLOGY.ME.UK CROSSRING.COM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07