Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Layers in HTML ... ggrrrrrr !!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2004 :  02:06:45  Show Profile
OK, here's the spec :

One menu with a few links (horizontally) along the top. When you click on the links the content appears on the page, but the page format doesn't change - text just appears out of nowhere.

Answer :

Well, I thought it was a simple use of layers (DW-speak), but I just can't get it to work properly. Is there a better way to do this ?

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2004 :  17:56:23  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
All you have to do (if I understand you correctly) is show the layer that is hidden when the link is clicked.

Make sure you have the layer defaulting to hidden then onclick show it.
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2004 :  18:38:38  Show Profile
Yeah, I've done that. I have 7 layers - only ever one should be visible, and all are set to hidden by default. I just can't find the right settings to make them all have the same top/left. I've tried making them DIV and SPAN with positioning of ABSOLUTE (not good when you resize screen) and RELATIVE (the layers ssem to stack under each other).
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2004 :  18:58:29  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
why is absolute not good when you resize your screen?

Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2004 :  19:42:19  Show Profile
i have a table that is centered, the text has to "appear" as though it is in the table (maybe my anchoring is wrong ?). But when I make the window wider, the table centers and the (visible) layer stays in the same spot
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2004 :  19:47:14  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
that is because ABSOLUTE is exactly that... ABSOLUTE, doesn't matter that you surround it within a table cell. This means you have to define the top and left position of the layer with respect to the screen and/or another layer. Maybe if you showed us an example of what it is you're trying to do we can assist you better. I am very comfortable with layers as it related to DHTML/DOM and may be able to further assist.

Edited by - dayve on 08 January 2004 19:47:52
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2004 :  21:23:07  Show Profile
Link removed - went for the old 7 page design to make it work. The client needed it working.

Edited by - laser on 10 January 2004 16:59:17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07