New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neonlys
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  14:55:04  Show Profile
Hi,

Not to bother, or ask stupid questions, BUT Why is it taking so extremely long time to make a multilanguage version of Snitz? I think I have been very patience on this next version.

I know of other Messageboard Systems which has done this process fast. And they are also using their sparetime! Isn't all the text that this forum holds, just going to be "moved" to language files instead? That couldn't take that long time?

I'm just courious.. 'Cause this is taking a Loooong time. Much more than a year since the first post on this topic!

Why can't you say when it's coming? You have to know how much of the forum which you have finished up? Can't you at least give us a clue on when to expect it? Like e.g spring or summer next year?

People here are "'Dyin" to know it.

But hey, It's a great product which is worth waiting on!

Regards
Chris

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  15:11:11  Show Profile
Part of the reason is that one of the main developers left this community. Therefore, others have had to take up the slack. That's about all I know about it though.

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2003 :  15:22:46  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
quote:
Why can't you say when it's coming? You have to know how much of the forum which you have finished up? Can't you at least give us a clue on when to expect it? Like e.g spring or summer next year?

It's probably too early to name a release date, especoally for the reason Nikkol posted.
Also, posting an estimated release date only increases the pressure on development, which only increases the number of bugs IMO.

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Dynamix

Germany
205 Posts

Posted - 06 December 2003 :  08:58:24  Show Profile
I donīt think itīs too early to give a date.
The real reason seem to me that no one is in reality working at it. If this would real open source other people could take the project over and do those little steps to complete the project. Bozden, the developer who has left the community was really near at the finalisation. But only some developers have their hands on the code and talk about this since the beginning of this year (exactly since the iraq-war when bozden left).
In fact the project of internationalisation is beiing discussed since more than 2(!!) years and if Bozden would not have done anything the internationalisation project would not do exist today.
The other developers seem not to have the power at the moment to complete this or they donīt WANT it.
I think there will be NEVER a multilanguage version! This is what I already said one year ago and the time tells me, that Iīm right.
Snitz is a great product, but I miss the power of developement from the early days. In other countries which doesnīt speak completly english (and that are the most on this little planet!) you canīt use Snitz as it is.
Donīt missunderstand me; I donīt throw stones at all the developers. Theyīve done good work, but this is some kind of "Manöverkritik" (I donīt know the translation for that german word) and a good constructive result could be a better way to complete those open tasks...
Maybe Iīm doing some persons wrong, but if the developers donīt tell the community whatīs the EXACT status (and not something like "it will be released asap!) like Bozden did (in percent or better in time), itīs a normal reaction that many persons are thinking after such a long time that nothing is happening. Maybe the developers only tell us, that there will be a new version because they donīt want to split today the community. If most people would know that there never will be such a version, I guess that many would leave this project finnaly. Maybe they are playing for time...
Why there isnīt also a test-forum or some places where other developers could do something for the project? Why donīt you leave the internationalised source for other developers?
I know that this are many questions and I also now that these are many times asked, but everytime someone asked something like this, the answers where something like "sometime", "somehow", "somehing", eg..
So pleasssse, dear developers, give us a REAL answer for making a decision to change to other projects or stay a little while more at snitz...
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 06 December 2003 :  09:13:16  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

BUT Why is it taking so extremely long time to make a multilanguage version of Snitz? I think I have been very patience on this next version.

You may not have a life, but some of us do.

try using the search facility, you will find the questions you asked have already been answered, and the more times you ask it the more time we have to spend answerring it
Go to Top of Page

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 06 December 2003 :  09:36:44  Show Profile
For those who canīt wait for multilanguage, why donīt you use: http://www.forums2001.com/ - he has an excellent multilanguage forum running the latest code. I use the danish version myself, works fine.

http://www.forums2001.com/file/
http://www.forums2001.com/skin/

Edited by - wii on 06 December 2003 09:48:00
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 06 December 2003 :  19:16:26  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
<Nathan:Post tact=Off runat=server >

quote:
Originally posted by Dynamix

If this would real open source other people could take the project over and do those little steps to complete the project.

Who said snitz was open source.

</Nathan:Post>

Nathan Bales
CoreBoard | Active Users Download
Go to Top of Page

cladon

Belgium
110 Posts

Posted - 07 December 2003 :  05:29:24  Show Profile
Dynamix

Is there still a futher for an asp-forum - is it not better to work on a dotnet version. It is just a thought but you (we) have to face it.
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 07 December 2003 :  06:03:47  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Cladon, follow the first link in my siggy.

Nathan Bales
CoreBoard | Active Users Download
Go to Top of Page

cladon

Belgium
110 Posts

Posted - 07 December 2003 :  10:50:35  Show Profile
hihi - Yes i know already done ... Therefore i mentioned it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07