tracking message content
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 14 November 2003 :  03:35:08  Show Profile
Hi all i'm trying to work out how i can track certain words in a message my forum is located http://www.castlehills.lincs.sch.uk/wwwroot/default.aspits only a test at the moment but i want to be able to track the severity of a message so that if a student with has a level 3 severity referall then a message is sent to an email address.

Edited by - ruirib on 18 November 2003 07:04:56

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 14 November 2003 :  03:37:15  Show Profile
just in case that made no sense to anyone is there a piece of code that says
" if message content = 'word' then send email to 'user/moderator'
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2003 :  06:53:29  Show Profile
can anyone help with this topic?
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2003 :  08:05:37  Show Profile
Honestly, I don't understand exactly what you want...
Am I correct when I say that you want to have posts checked for certain words when they're posted, and if one or more of those words are found, a moderator will receive an email to alert him/her of that post?

Better get things 100% straight before any suggestions are made
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2003 :  15:13:34  Show Profile
yes thats exactly right Roland. On my post.asp i have various drop down menus the contents of these drop menus are populated to the finished message i want to be able to alert moderators of a certain message content.
Go to Top of Page

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2003 :  15:23:26  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
Your best bet uraken is in post_info.asp. Find the piece of code that posts the message (I'm assuming this would be a new "topic". Here you would have make a check for the severity level and perhaps call another function to send an email.
For example:

if Request.Form("severity_level") >= 3 then
   Call emailModerators(severitylevel, topicid, membername)
end if

The emailModerators sub would have the necessary code to email a list of people the relevant information. You could olace the code inline as well if you chose:

// email code
end if
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2003 :  15:46:57  Show Profile
snaayk thanks, i sort of understand the code although have limited asp knowledge so i put in red what i don't understand i assume this will call an email modeartors list mod? also waht is a sub?

Call emailModerators(severitylevel, topicid, membername)
end if

thanks again
Go to Top of Page

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2003 :  16:10:28  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
What is sub short for? The sub is a function that will run when called. in this case the sub was named emailModerators(). All the stuff within the parathesis are variavle that can be used within the sub. In other words:

sub emailModerators(severitylevel, topicid, membername)
   //email code
   email.body = "Hello moderators, there is a severity level "& severitylevel &" ticket pending.
Theticket was created by "& membername &". You can view the topic here: http://forum/topic.asp?topicid="&topicid&"
email.send
end sub

The code above is fictional, and will not work, but hopefully you get the gist of what the sub will do. Yo can then call it from anywhere in the page/site depending on your setup.
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2003 :  16:17:58  Show Profile
ok now i understand the concept but where does the script pull its email addresses from? or can that be aded to the code. Also i want the code to call itself on the event of the severity being a certain level and email the moderators in stealth mode without the poster of the message seeing it.Like i said i know very little ASP
thanks again for your time (patience)
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2003 :  20:11:10  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
In fact, sub is shorthand for SubProcedure, meaning a subprogram that won't return a value. A function is a subprogram that does return a value, after execution is completed .

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 18 November 2003 :  03:33:42  Show Profile
Thank you for all your comments and information can Can any body help me any further with the correct code that i need.
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 18 November 2003 :  16:35:32  Show Profile
can anyone help out with this code?
Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 18 November 2003 :  16:44:53  Show Profile
Take a look at how pop_mail.asp works, that should get you started.
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 19 November 2003 :  10:42:26  Show Profile
Thanks dave i have a had a look at but with limited asp knowledge it makes little sense.
Its a a real shame as thats the last thing i wanted to do on my forum and its complete. I'll keep asking hopefully someone will have the knowledge thanks again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07