MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 How to implement this neat feature
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Astralis

USA
1218 Posts

Posted - 24 October 2003 :  16:39:44  Show Profile  Send Astralis a Yahoo! Message
I don't know if this feature is unique to the referencing forum or if it's in VBulletin, but I really like it and would like to install something like it into Snitz.

The referenced forum is a music forum and it allows the poster to type in the song they were listening to before they post and it's displayed in a section of their post (sort of like in the section of the icons of Snitz, or the name, ranks, and stars section).

I would like to do the same thing but a little bit different.

I would like it to be a dynamic display and change in all the posts when it's changed (sort of like the dynamic signature or the number of posts). Also, it would save all these titles in their profile.

Also, I would like the user to select from a drop-down box what they want to include. So, a user can display what they're listening to at the moment, or the book they are reading, or the movie they last watched, and the list can go on - but I think it's best to limit it to three or four.

Look at the website and scroll down to the quick reply feature and you will see where the user can input the data. Then, look at the messages and you will see where it shows up in the posts (you may need to login but I don't think so):

http://www.radiomute.com/t2160-2.html

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 24 October 2003 :  16:53:44  Show Profile
it won't show anything or let you get to the posting page without being logged in. But I'm sure what you want is doable with two extra fields in the database for each topic and reply. Use one field to store the "item number" (book, song, movie) and one text field for the "item name" (title of the book, song or movie).
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 24 October 2003 :  18:01:07  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
Good News and Bad News.

Good News First, it is definately possible. I run a music forum and have integrated a pretty in depth set of controls to allow a person to post what they are listening to AND have it automatically and dynamically displayed by use of an image or a forum tag [winamp]

Bad News, there would be no possible way I could package all of this up because like I said, I really tweaked and hardcoded some things for my users.

Some screenshots:

The graphical version of my winamp dynamic signature can be seen in my Snitz Signature. It uses a combination of a Winamp Component, some XML parsing and .NET with GDI.

A live demo can be viewed here... as you return to this link you will see that the content changes based on what the user is listening to.

http://www.burningsoulsforum.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7637

Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 24 October 2003 :  18:04:55  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
Oh, here is the Winamp Plugin I am using. Based on your scripting knowledge, you may be able to make one yourself:

http://www.oddsock.org/tools/dosomething/

This plugin works with Winamp 2 and 5 (beta).

Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 24 October 2003 :  19:35:10  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
one additional feature I forgot to mention. on my Members listing, I have a music icon that you can click on that will display a members history of music they listened to while posting in a nice little popup window:

http://www.burningsoulsforum.com/members.asp

Sample: Dayve's List

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07