New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thehardskinnedrhino
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2003 :  08:05:15  Show Profile
Hi My web is www.rhinoshomepage.co.uk

My forum is having some problems mainly to do with files not being found, having checked I have found they are there. Checking some files there seems to be a problem defining the root directory within the .asp files so they're not being pointed in the right direction.

If my .asp file is lets say in the a folder called forum in the root directory of my web what would the corresponding line in the file be.
I have tried the ./Forum/?.asp but wont work
I have tried just Forum/?.asp still wont work.

Anyone can help please, would be appreciated.

RebelTech
Average Member

USA
613 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2003 :  09:53:50  Show Profile  Visit RebelTech's Homepage  Send RebelTech an ICQ Message
I just went through and added:

../forum/
to all my links.
I have several pages that are outside of my forum and this fixed it so that no matter where the link is called from it can find the requested file.
Go to Top of Page

thehardskinnedrhino
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2003 :  13:01:24  Show Profile
Sorry I didnt explain very well.
The links etc I am talking about are in fact the buttons on the forum itself, not anything Ive added.
If i open admin for instance and the click on the forums part of the tree it will try finding a folder on my web that doesnt exist. When I originally uploaded the files, I found that many didnt get uploaded at all. SO i created a folder, uploaded the files to it then copied them across to the Forum folder once I was satisfied I had them all. I then deleted the original files.
Now parts of the forum are looking for files in the original location, which I wasnt installing to just saving them to for convenience.
I cant use either of the chat parts of the forum because of this and several other parts are just mad.
Go to Top of Page

RebelTech
Average Member

USA
613 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2003 :  13:24:04  Show Profile  Visit RebelTech's Homepage  Send RebelTech an ICQ Message
I would start with default.asp, inc_header.asp, config.asp, topic.asp, post.asp etc... Open them up one by one in your favorite text editor, search for "href" (no quotations) and make sure each path was correct. Those files will take care of the bulk. Then as various errors occured track those down. Even though my correcting paths started because of an external page, I still found several that had bad paths, I just had not hit the right spot to cause an error yet. Sorry if the this sounds too simplistic. I don't know of anyother way. I know it is a real pain!

Edited by - RebelTech on 18 October 2003 13:25:08
Go to Top of Page

thehardskinnedrhino
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2003 :  14:05:25  Show Profile
I will give it a try thankyou.

There is a rather odd thing though, the asp files tend to use the ../ in the file to denote the root directory, yet I always get an error that this can't be used to signify a root directory. Lets say i want to point to a file in ../Forum/ how would i get the asp file to see it. I have tried ./ ( doesnt work ) /Forum/ (Doesnt work ) Forum/ (Doesnt work ) nothing seems to work. This is my biggest problem because has you said ive tracked the errors but always come back to this particular problem. Where the asp file is in a folder and not in the root directory, i cant seem to get the text right to get it to point where i want it too. Hope that makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

RebelTech
Average Member

USA
613 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2003 :  16:09:01  Show Profile  Visit RebelTech's Homepage  Send RebelTech an ICQ Message
People a lot smarter than me will correct me if I tell you wrong (I Hope).

These forum files are a collection of .asp and html. I think most of the original Snitz are mostly .asp. But with mods, just about anything goes. The two "languages" are often mixed in the same file. I often (to my shame) create tables and such in straight html within my .asp pages. Just because I am alot more familiar with html. Having laid that foundation, if I am thinking correctly, use "./" inside of straight html and within .asp coded sections use "../"

Edited by - RebelTech on 18 October 2003 16:12:02
Go to Top of Page

thehardskinnedrhino
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2003 :  18:12:17  Show Profile
Thanks Rebel, I have checked all 1600+ files in my forum for errors within the script and whilst it took about 4 hours it has sorted out most of the problems. I am now testing my forum out and have found that even though in portal config i get options for various things on the left and right sides of the portal. Whatever options I choose it doesnt seem to matter. I cant use the visio or postcards etc they just wont appear even when i select them in both the portal config and personal page options. Nothing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07