MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 A different sort of user groups
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ROB

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 16 October 2003 :  04:58:26  Show Profile  Visit ROB's Homepage  Send ROB an AOL message  Send ROB an ICQ Message  Send ROB a Yahoo! Message
I'm working on something that would require a different kind of user groups. In this case, an administrator can create a group and assign "group admin" privileges to one or more members. The group has it's own "profile" with attributes (much like a member profile in some ways).

The group admins can invite members to join the group, or members can request an invite. Members can join any number of groups (or no groups at all).

The closest thing I've seen to this are the groups like this one at Listen-To.com

Has anyone attempted anything like this before? If not, I'll be starting something very soon.

ROB

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2003 :  01:00:32  Show Profile  Visit ROB's Homepage  Send ROB an AOL message  Send ROB an ICQ Message  Send ROB a Yahoo! Message
Am I the only one interested in such a thing?
Go to Top of Page

ajhvdb

Netherlands
392 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2003 :  14:11:42  Show Profile
You could add this func. to the new Usergroup Mod of Nikkol
Go to Top of Page

Faizan
Average Member

United Kingdom
592 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2003 :  17:02:39  Show Profile  Visit Faizan's Homepage  Send Faizan an AOL message  Send Faizan an ICQ Message  Send Faizan a Yahoo! Message
I am also interested, I have always liked this system on my Invison Forum, it's always cool to be used.

I have tried Nikkol's Usergroup MOD, but its not exactly what I was looking for.

»Snitz Graphics
Go to Top of Page

ROB

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2003 :  21:54:25  Show Profile  Visit ROB's Homepage  Send ROB an AOL message  Send ROB an ICQ Message  Send ROB a Yahoo! Message
If you read my intial post carefully, you'll see that it's nothing like either Nikkol's mod OR the group functionality in Invision.

There are two parts to what I envision:

First, the creation of a "group" entity that has properties much like a member. A "group" could be an organization or a club. Similar to a member, there would be a group "profile" with information such as admin contact, phone number, address, web site, or whatever.

Second, unlike the other group mods (including Invision), members could "belong" to multiple groups. Simply put, the groups are not created to define your permissions. So I could be a member of the RC Planes Club (or "group") in addition to the PC Club.

In the group's definition, the forum admin can assign permission for one or more members to edit the group profile.

What you end up with is a new Groups table and some additions to the members table. I'll also have to create a new class of member, maybe something like "Group Admin?" They get permission to edit the group(s) they're assigned.

Does that make it more clear?

Edited by - ROB on 19 October 2003 21:59:30
Go to Top of Page

TestMagic

USA
1568 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2003 :  22:13:15  Show Profile  Visit TestMagic's Homepage
Sounds very interesting--kind of like "clubs" for your members, right? It sounds great, and is something I myself have never seen (apart from the link you provided).

Snitz rocks! · Search 2
Go to Top of Page

ROB

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2003 :  13:07:15  Show Profile  Visit ROB's Homepage  Send ROB an AOL message  Send ROB an ICQ Message  Send ROB a Yahoo! Message
Yes, maybe it would be less confusing to use the term "clubs" instead of groups (given that "groups" is already used in a different context).

Here are the rules I have in mind:
  • "Clubs" could be created by an Admin, or a member could submit a "club registration." User-submitted clubs would require approval by the site Admin prior to public availability.
  • The Site Admin would define the types of clubs available (computer, car, social, business, etc.), and the fields available/required for the club registration (used in the club's profile).
  • The Site Admin can assign "Club Admin" rights to one or more members. These "Club Admins" can edit the club's profile, invite forum members to join their club and accept invitation requests.
  • Members can request club membership. Membership must be approved by a Club Admin.
  • Members can belong to multiple clubs.
  • Club membership is reflected in their member profile in a new "Club Affiliation" section.
  • From the club profile, people can also link to a membership directory.
  • Optionally, there could be "badges" available to clubs that would appear below the member's name in their forum posts.
  • There could conceivably be a "club members-only" forum, but for what I'm designing, there would be too many clubs or organizations to make this practical. It could work for a smaller number of clubs or organizations.

Let me know if you have any other ideas for this.

Edited by - ROB on 20 October 2003 13:10:13
Go to Top of Page

jeffery

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2003 :  10:55:40  Show Profile
This sounds pretty similar to what I did with Nikkols group mod. I mad it so members can Join/Unjoin groups at will. I also created a "primary" group which allows me to allow content based on these groups and/or the primary group. The profile shows whichs groups they belong to. I am working on creating group admins. I think this is pretty much what you are talking about. It's a way to divide the forum up into "club" type memberships with admins for each section. Niikols mod works becasue you can assign forums to these "clubs" be allowing or disallowing membership. But having icons which denote a particular club would be cool for both members and forums.

www.thomasforum.com
Go to Top of Page

ROB

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 22 October 2003 :  13:26:24  Show Profile  Visit ROB's Homepage  Send ROB an AOL message  Send ROB an ICQ Message  Send ROB a Yahoo! Message
Jeff, do you have a link where I can see what you've done?

Edited by - ROB on 22 October 2003 13:26:37
Go to Top of Page

jeffery

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 22 October 2003 :  13:33:37  Show Profile
Emailing it now

www.thomasforum.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07