MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 Tables in posts?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goldfish

82 Posts

Posted - 14 October 2003 :  06:50:25  Show Profile
I have a lot of users who need to put table data into their posts (usually just numerical data as below):-

Year       1991    1992    1993
Quantity1    2       3       4
Quantity2    4       5       6

Anyone have any idea how you can do this? I'm assuming that a MOD is required, but not altogether sure how to go about it... as an alternative, from an admin's perspective, is there anyway I can enable use of <table>...</table> HTML within my forum (it's on an intranet, and there is no security threat)....

Any ideas gratefully received...

Simon

The Impact

Australia
398 Posts

Posted - 14 October 2003 :  07:49:41  Show Profile
I think the Rich Text Editor MOD was going to have this feature but it's still in development. Dave could give you most info about that.

Try doing a search, wasn't someone talking about tables in forums not long ago. My mind has gone blank !
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 14 October 2003 :  07:56:38  Show Profile
code tags are the only way to do it at the moment. I get a lot of tabular data as well (copied from other sites), and a code tag usually does the trick
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 14 October 2003 :  10:29:37  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
I've thought about incorporating table tags but then came to a realization that an improperly used table can really throw your forum out of whack.

Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 14 October 2003 :  10:39:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dayve

I've thought about incorporating table tags but then came to a realization that an improperly used table can really throw your forum out of whack.

Absolutely right, but some people are willing to take that risk.
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=43110&SearchTerms=,table,tags,forum,code will show you how to add forum code tags for adding tables to your posts, though basic HTML knowledge on how to nest the tags is necessary.
Go to Top of Page

goldfish

82 Posts

Posted - 15 October 2003 :  13:11:32  Show Profile
Thanks for that. I think I will give it a go on a dummy site and see what happens. It's probably doable for people to save a table from word as HTML, and then find/replace on <> with [] and then cut and paste, and I think that's the only way I can do it.

The current 'print screen', crop, save to a server, include link, is a but complex, though I might see if I can recommend the 'code' route too.

Thanks for your time!

Simon

[EDIT]Frutzle, on the link you provided, someone asked whether the table command could be restricted to moderators or admins.... presumably that would be possible by sticking the code that detects user level around the new code added to inc_func_common? Or am I looking at this over simplistically....?

Edited by - goldfish on 15 October 2003 13:13:38
Go to Top of Page

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 22 October 2003 :  13:17:55  Show Profile
Regarding the potential havoc the table tags could create - you could create a function which simply enforces the pairing of the table tags. For example, it searches to find if a [table] tag exists and, if so, searches to find if a [/table] tag exists. If not found, it could insert the [/table] after the last table-related tags it does find. Likewise, it could step through the string between these two tags to insert missing [/tr] and [/td] tags where necessary. That ought to help make it more fool-proof and shouldn't be that hard to code... just a bunch of nested loops I would think... then just run this function on the message string prior to the tags being converted.

* The optimist says the cup is half full. The pessimist says it's half empty. But the engineer knows the truth - the cup's design is incorrectly sized.
Go to Top of Page

cladon

Belgium
110 Posts

Posted - 22 October 2003 :  17:06:40  Show Profile
I have not checked if it works with snitz at this moment but i will do it. There is a nice an free WYSIWYG editor http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07