editing the login page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 10 October 2003 :  16:49:43  Show Profile
am i allowed to edit the login page to include some links and general help for my users.
If so how can i do this, ie which application front page ? notepad perhaps? will it effect the log on?
thanks in advance

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 10 October 2003 :  17:05:04  Show Profile
To edit the login page you open login.asp in a text editor. Notepad will be fine, but personally I'd advise use of an editor that also shows line numbers (also for future use in case you need help since we give line numbers). SourceEdit is a free and very good text editor, not just for ASP files.

Editing the file shouldn't affect the login, but if you're not sure what you should do, it'd probably be best to give some more information, such as where you want the extra text/links to appear. Someone can then give you some line numbers to get you on your way
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 10 October 2003 :  17:28:17  Show Profile
Thanks for swift response.
I have tried in notepad to make just a subtle change to default.asp see how it all works, but even after the smallest change when i then save it the login will not work on the default.asp page although works ok at the login.asp page. it seems like it freezes that link.
sorry if i'm being dumb and again thanks for your help
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 10 October 2003 :  17:41:35  Show Profile
i can log on now as admin and it says log on successfull however it then goes straight back to the default.asp with no admin options and it still shows the login box as if it hasn't logged on?
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 10 October 2003 :  17:46:21  Show Profile
if it won't let you log on, you should check a few things:
- the date on your computer and on the server has to be correct
- your browser is set to accept cookies

If both are correct, then you should delete your cookies, close all browser windows and try again. If that doesn't solve it either you should post again, this time including a link to your forums.
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 10 October 2003 :  18:31:05  Show Profile
i'm testing locally so can't get help unfortunatly directly, but i have tried what you said with no luck everytime i edit the login page it completely upsets login, i want to change where it says topics for the word 'students'as i want to use the forum as an online referall form for teachers in my college to report on students behaviour.
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 10 October 2003 :  19:32:43  Show Profile
without making the change, you can login?

what change did you make exactly? (paste original the line you modified and then the modified version)

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 13 October 2003 :  04:31:53  Show Profile
i think i know where i'm going wrong i'm editing the page by viewing the source in a web browser then saving it when i think i probally should be editing the page before its processed by the web server and browser?
if this is the case i will need to do some Asp homework unless there is an application that allos for limited asp code knowledge?
thanks again for your time and efforts.
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 13 October 2003 :  06:55:34  Show Profile
ok, i managed to make the change where i needed to and thank everyone for there time and efforts i know how time consuming for moderators and resident experts replying to messages can be.
i do have a slight query though my message was moved did i post in the wrong place to begin with?
The only reason i ask is because i now would like to edit the post.asp file to include prearranged words in the message box and want to be sure to post in the right area both now and in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 13 October 2003 :  07:30:54  Show Profile
There seems to have been a change in the (unwritten) moderator guide when it comes to moving topics. Now when a topic is about making changes to the codes, it should be in this forum (if it's posted in the Help: General/Current Version forum, it'll be moved to this one). Only when the topic is a general question about the forums it can stay in the Help: General/Current Version forum... assuming the topic's about the current version
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 13 October 2003 :  10:51:21  Show Profile
thanks roland
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07