Street Racer Online Forums......
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gargoyle

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2003 :  22:26:09  Show Profile  Visit Gargoyle's Homepage
Well I can't take all the credit for the site but I have customized it a lot from the base SHv8 forum code. Also I have added/changed/removed/and re-written a few things to better suit my needs. If you have the time check it out and let me know what you think of it.

Thanks!

(Click the signature image )

Here is a link to my Snitz powered Drag Racing site.

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2003 :  05:10:06  Show Profile
For those who have chosen not to show signatures: http://www.autoservltd.com/streetracer/
Go to Top of Page

chumbawumba

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2003 :  07:31:41  Show Profile
here is my opinion - information overload !

also why would 'joe bloggs' be interested in all the historical site stats / page views / etc..?? only you as webmaster would find that interesting surely?

Go to Top of Page

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2003 :  11:11:24  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
my opinion : I couldn't find the actual forum...at least not untill I scrolled down, and realized that the rotating SRO logo is a forum...
On a 1024x768 over 30% of the top of the page is used by just the logo and the loginbox.
Ask yourself the question : what would you want to make sure a visitor sees when he visits your site ? Not the site-statistics as chumbawumba already sais.
Also not a SRO banner in the middle of the screen.

I'd seriously consider a redesign...
sorry, it may be harsh, but that's my first impression (and that first impression is all you will be able to give to 99% of the visitors...)

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter

Edited by - MarcelG on 09 October 2003 11:12:16
Go to Top of Page

Reinsnitz
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2003 :  15:34:12  Show Profile  Visit Reinsnitz's Homepage  Send Reinsnitz an AOL message  Send Reinsnitz an ICQ Message  Send Reinsnitz a Yahoo! Message
Very nice :)

As a new visitor though I am a little intimidated by the extera data being shown, and lost at not knowing which forums have posts in them (i.e. the post counts are not on the list) but as your forums are quite active and have a large number of posts in it, it seems you have met your target audience well :)

Good job! :)

Reinsnitz (Mike)
Go to Top of Page

Gargoyle

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2003 :  18:44:30  Show Profile  Visit Gargoyle's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Reinsnitz

Very nice :)

As a new visitor though I am a little intimidated by the extera data being shown, and lost at not knowing which forums have posts in them (i.e. the post counts are not on the list) but as your forums are quite active and have a large number of posts in it, it seems you have met your target audience well :)

Good job! :)

I moved the topic and posts count to the forum description area as when I added the left column I really didn't have a lot of space. Also thanks for your opinion!

quote:
my opinion : I couldn't find the actual forum...at least not untill I scrolled down, and realized that the rotating SRO logo is a forum...

Sorry about that. I typed in to click my signature image.

quote:
On a 1024x768 over 30% of the top of the page is used by just the logo and the loginbox.

Hmmmm, my monitor must display things differently.

quote:
Ask yourself the question : what would you want to make sure a visitor sees when he visits your site ? Not the site-statistics as chumbawumba already sais.
Also not a SRO banner in the middle of the screen.

Well to help a little the site statistics were requested by a few of my users. And the SRO logo is supposed to be on the left not the middle. Hmmm. Did you use EI to view the forum or another browser?

quote:
I'd seriously consider a redesign...
sorry, it may be harsh, but that's my first impression (and that first impression is all you will be able to give to 99% of the visitors...)

Either way I appreciate your views and I appreciate your honest opinion.

quote:
also why would 'joe bloggs' be interested in all the historical site stats / page views / etc..?? only you as webmaster would find that interesting surely?

Actually a few of my members requested that info as they find it interesting. I am currently working on a way to let logged in users customize that page to only display the information they want to see.

Thank-you for all of your input!

Go to Top of Page

Faizan
Average Member

United Kingdom
592 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2003 :  20:10:58  Show Profile  Visit Faizan's Homepage  Send Faizan an AOL message  Send Faizan an ICQ Message  Send Faizan a Yahoo! Message
I like it. Looks like a lot of hard work has been put in, but as others said, you wouldn't need that much information on the side, perhaps this should be moved to the sitenews page. That would save a lot of space for the forum itself.

Honestly, I don't like the logo. It's too plain. I think you need a something else which would brighten it all up. :)

But a very nice try. The first impression I had was "WOW, thats a nice one"

»Snitz Graphics
Go to Top of Page

Gargoyle

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2003 :  23:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Gargoyle's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Faizan

I like it. Looks like a lot of hard work has been put in, but as others said, you wouldn't need that much information on the side, perhaps this should be moved to the sitenews page. That would save a lot of space for the forum itself.

Honestly, I don't like the logo. It's too plain. I think you need a something else which would brighten it all up. :)

But a very nice try. The first impression I had was "WOW, thats a nice one"

Thank-you

Your right the logo for the default color scheme is very plain (I have been working on a nicer one I just can't find what I like yet). If you log in there are about 19 or so themes that are a lot more colorful and lively to choose from.

I like the sitenews idea but I have been working on a user customizing feature that will allow them to make it any way they wish. So for now My "sitenews" page is integrated with the "my page" MOD.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Go to Top of Page

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 11 October 2003 :  12:13:09  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Gargoyle, I use IE 6 to view the page ; just so you know.
Here's a screenshot.
(clickable to full 191 kb zipped version)
What I mean to say is that the actual forum is not directly visible, because of two big images ; the SRO logo in the left upper corner and the SRO Gift Shop logo in the center.

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter

Edited by - MarcelG on 11 October 2003 12:23:48
Go to Top of Page

Gargoyle

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11 October 2003 :  16:28:21  Show Profile  Visit Gargoyle's Homepage
Oh I see.... Hmmm.. The SRO Logo is a bit large..... The SRO Gift Store is part of my banner set-up that I just got to work correctly.. I removed the "Stats" from the left side as well. I guess I could try to remove the banner from its current location and find it a new home...

I'll have to think on that a bit...

Thanks for your reply!!

Go to Top of Page

Faizan
Average Member

United Kingdom
592 Posts

Posted - 11 October 2003 :  19:06:15  Show Profile  Visit Faizan's Homepage  Send Faizan an AOL message  Send Faizan an ICQ Message  Send Faizan a Yahoo! Message
I think you should move the stuff you have on the side to the place after Active Users, this would look good and different. People dont usually put this stuff there, but I am a bit weird to suggest this.

»Snitz Graphics
Go to Top of Page

Gargoyle

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05 November 2003 :  22:04:36  Show Profile  Visit Gargoyle's Homepage
Faizan I will be adding the ability for logged in users to turn those includes on and off in the near future. Thanks for the suggestion though! Very nice idea.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07