Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Most busy snitz forum on the net
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

VodkaFish
Average Member

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 07 October 2003 :  19:22:22  Show Profile  Send VodkaFish an AOL message  Send VodkaFish an ICQ Message  Send VodkaFish a Yahoo! Message
I only have ~1600 of ~2600 members making posts (much account cleaning). However despite that low number, they've made 200k+ posts that I've kept (I've probably deleted another 75-100k). There are usually 50+ people in the forums. My season is about to start, so it'll probably get very heavy soon (around 75-150 people commonly on during peak hours).

However, I'll openly admit I'm thinking of switching (as work mule brought up). To add features and keep performance (which is just ok right now) sane is not possible right now. I'd like to add many things, some little, some big; and Snitz does not seem capable of handling that right now. I still recommend it to people looking for a medium-size site, but it may be time for my site to move on.

v ø d k â f ï § h
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 07 October 2003 :  19:30:25  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
VodkaFish, what is the URL to your site? The forum setup I got going is just getting going for the winter as well. It will be interesting as I just moved the site to a dual cpu server and a pretty dedicated SQL server for the database. From what I have seen, so far average members online is about 15 - 20 at a time this fall, I expect it to go up for winer. I still say, whatever the bigger sites of my kind can do, I can do with snitz, and better to boot.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 07 October 2003 :  22:12:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by VodkaFish
To add features and keep performance (which is just ok right now) sane is not possible right now. I'd like to add many things, some little, some big; and Snitz does not seem capable of handling that right now. I still recommend it to people looking for a medium-size site, but it may be time for my site to move on.

I totally understand what you're saying.

Snitz is a great application for what it was built for (which is being a forum) and the scope / limitations set by the development staff (no dlls required, supports multiple databases, etc.).

So of course if you try to compare performance between Snitz and a forum built and optimized for SQL Server 2000 -- well it's not really a "fair" comparison. The latter will most likely perform better on SQL Server, but on the other hand will not be an option for someone using MySQL.

To get Snitz to where I was comfortable putting it on two of our sites which both had 100+K registered users, I spent a lot of time making changes to the code. I have a couple of stored procedures, modified indexes, disabled a couple of things, coded in some new stuff, etc. There's still some things I would like to add, but haven't had time: Usergroups, subcategories, expanded member options, expanded moderator and admin tools, and more. Many are things I've seen working in other boards like phpBB, vBulletin and Invision (funny how they're all PHP). However even any of those solutions would still require work to integrate into our existing website infrastructure.

Keep in mind that my list of wanted features should not be construed as negative or as disatisfaction with Snitz. Quite the opposite. However, the problem is that we are constantly looking for this code to do more stuff outside of it's original scope.

Maybe the problem is that Snitz works so well that people are able to expand upon it and build in things like private messages, polls, photo galleries, news, article, and more. As concepts like community matures and applications like Snitz evolve, expectations continue to grow. What used to be considered a cutting edge mod is now considered a must have feature today.

Shoot, there I go again....rambling on....

One last thing. I too forsee a day we'll move on. Since we're primarily ASP/ASP.NET and MSSQL (and management prefers Microsoft technology), things like vBulletin and Invisionboard will not likely be an option. From Snitz, the next evolution will be something in .NET but most likely not anytime soon. In the meantime I'll keep tweaking Snitz.
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 07 October 2003 :  23:08:00  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
I like Snitz, period. It is a wonderful starting point for a site. Since installing a basic forum a few years back, it has expanded and I have used a lot of the architecture of Snitz to build the rest of my site. Sure, I am experimenting more and more with the code, changing things as I see fit but the base of it is still there. It is a wonderful learning experience. I have learned SO much just by using the product and forcing myself to modify it the way I want. I am sure some day, if things start to get really busy and big for me I will do like work mule, optimize a lot of the things, change some things around or I will build an entirely new forum and site from the ground up with just the features and things that I need. Either way, I don't see myself switching anytime soon.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

Reinsnitz
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2003 :  14:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Reinsnitz's Homepage  Send Reinsnitz an AOL message  Send Reinsnitz an ICQ Message  Send Reinsnitz a Yahoo! Message
after several years... and thanks to this thread... and the one it references... http://forum.snitz.com/customers.asp has been updated a bit :)

Congrats to the listed folks :)

Reinsnitz (Mike)
Go to Top of Page

Faizan
Average Member

United Kingdom
592 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2003 :  14:32:57  Show Profile  Visit Faizan's Homepage  Send Faizan an AOL message  Send Faizan an ICQ Message  Send Faizan a Yahoo! Message
YAY.... My favourite Snitz, BigBlueBall is there...

»Snitz Graphics
Go to Top of Page

brujo
Average Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2003 :  14:47:41  Show Profile  Visit brujo's Homepage
Mike,

now I am confused.... I thought the HuntingNet.com site you have listed on the customers page - does not use Snitz ??

brujo
Go to Top of Page

Reinsnitz
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2003 :  14:52:19  Show Profile  Visit Reinsnitz's Homepage  Send Reinsnitz an AOL message  Send Reinsnitz an ICQ Message  Send Reinsnitz a Yahoo! Message
<blush> thought i took that off... fixed :) Thank you!

Drop me a line if you see any Forum sites that are just stand out and a good example of a large scale Snitz Forum! :)

Reinsnitz (Mike)
Go to Top of Page

brujo
Average Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2003 :  14:58:01  Show Profile  Visit brujo's Homepage
lol.... beat me to it

I already did via email - but it may not be considered large scale since I keep on doing housekeeping with members and posts.

brujo

Edited by - brujo on 08 October 2003 15:10:15
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2003 :  14:59:40  Show Profile
HuntingNet.com is using ASP Playground forum:

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/copyright.htm

They just have the copyright part commented out in the source files so it doesn't show up.
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2003 :  15:47:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Reinsnitz

after several years... and thanks to this thread... and the one it references... http://forum.snitz.com/customers.asp has been updated a bit :)

Congrats to the listed folks :)

Wow...very cool.

BTW...minor spelling correction "Snowmobile Finatics"
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2003 :  15:51:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by work mule

BTW...minor spelling correction "Snowmobile Finatics"
<fixed>
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2003 :  20:45:28  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
Wow, thanks for putting up my link! Didn't see that coming.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

Cailean

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2003 :  23:09:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Reinsnitz

Drop me a line if you see any Forum sites that are just stand out and a good example of a large scale Snitz Forum! :)

My favourite Snitz forum is the StarWarsBoard: 349 of 398 Members have made 109767 posts in 8 forums. There are currently 4556 topics.

It was this through forum that I learned that Snitz existed!
Go to Top of Page

ROB

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 10 October 2003 :  18:59:12  Show Profile  Visit ROB's Homepage  Send ROB an AOL message  Send ROB an ICQ Message  Send ROB a Yahoo! Message
I'm honored to see BigBlueBall on the list. I should note that it's on a shared host and I'm using SQL Server.

Regarding the topic of switching to a different platform (.NET or PHP), I agree that the further down the path you go, the harder and more costly it is to switch. Unfortunately, this is also true for forum upgrades, especially if you've done a lot of customization.

I love Snitz forums, and I'm still using them for new projects, mainly because I'm most comfortable with ASP. But I do have a couple of projects that I'm going to be using IPB on, so I might be able to provide a more balanced perspective in another month or two.

Jeff (ROB) Hester
BigBlueNetwork | BigBlueBall | Christian Church Today
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07