The Poultry Link - "Serving the best of the fancy with the best of the web"
Forum Setup Help
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 28 October 2003 :  21:18:56  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
looks like someone learned how to use bevels and shadows.

Go to Top of Page

Ryan
Average Member

USA
858 Posts

Posted - 28 October 2003 :  21:37:50  Show Profile  Visit Ryan's Homepage
lol. Yeah I used Paint Shop Pro. Do you like it?

Forum Setup Help
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2003 :  06:34:36  Show Profile
Let's see... the color scheme is kind of color-less, but I won't complain about that.
The powered by logo is WAY too big IMO, not to mention that it's quite hard to read what it says (black on dark blue).
The "rules" page doesn't work... maybe you forgot to upload it?
Go to Top of Page

Ryan
Average Member

USA
858 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2003 :  07:42:34  Show Profile  Visit Ryan's Homepage
My, my arent we critical. Just kidding. I appreciate your help Roland. Little things like that help me out. Thanks alot.
quote:
Let's see... the color scheme is kind of color-less, but I won't complain about that.
Least it matches unlike the the last look I had.
quote:
The powered by logo is WAY too big IMO, not to mention that it's quite hard to read what it says (black on dark blue).

That is easy enough to change. I will make it easier to read because Snitz put way to much work into this to let them feel cheated or to abuse the privelege of being able to design my own powered by logo.
quote:
The "rules" page doesn't work... maybe you forgot to upload it?
I used a header from my other site and I guess I forgot to remove that

Forum Setup Help
Go to Top of Page

Cliff
Average Member

United States
501 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2003 :  09:55:58  Show Profile  Visit Cliff's Homepage
I know not everyone wants to try and install a forum on their own, or add mods, I do and have learned a lot from it. But if I didn't there are a lot of people here who will offer help for free. I doubt you have or will earn a lot of money trying to do this.

This statement does not give me a lot of confidence in your ability to install a mod:
quote:
Notes:
Please be aware that there is a risk of your forum messing up as a result of MOD implementation done by you, me, or any Snitz community member. I have never messed up a forum but I am making you aware of the small risk involved.
The only MOD I currently am aware that I cannot install is the avatar MOD. I have only attempted this one once and it did not work. If you would like me to try it on your forum I am willing to but I will make no guarentees. If I do not install it I will not charge you.

Also, you might want to run a spell check on that statement.

I know this wasn't helpful, but I like being honest.
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2003 :  10:07:15  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
let me chime in on this as well Ryan.

I don't think you are at a decent level of understanding to be charging for installation of Snitz Mods. I also think it is unecessary to add a disclaimer that the forum might get messed up and that you are not to be held responsible. A professioinal would ensure that everything is backed up, source code and database, before making any modifications to someone's production model, and no matter what you say, clients will always hold you responsible.

Don't take offense to this, but I think it is a bit premature for you to be advertising for installations of mods at cost.

Edited by - dayve on 29 October 2003 10:08:19
Go to Top of Page

Ryan
Average Member

USA
858 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2003 :  11:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Ryan's Homepage
Each person can have their own opinion but I think you guys are being a bit critical about my own abilities. I don't walk around here telling people that I install mods, forums, etc... whenever they want some help. If I can help them I do. I have done it before and I dont have problems continuing to do it. I simply have it in my sig and if and when people want to pay I am available.
Besides it is my own reputation. If I cant install them it wont hurt you.
I have already done work for people anyway. It costs me money to run my sites and I want to make money back or break even if I can.

Forum Setup Help
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2003 :  11:50:31  Show Profile
I just want to add that someone who knows what he/she is doing will not mess up anyone's forums by installing a MOD. That person will test everything at least once before uploading the new/changed files. If something should indeed go wrong, that person will have made backups (as Dayve said) and will restore everything to the way it was before he/she did anything.

But then again, I appreciate your honesty in the "disclaimer".
Go to Top of Page

DavidRhodes

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2003 :  11:51:50  Show Profile
Looks okay
Just a couple of things:
Web Search and Rules links don't work
Why don't you set up moderation on the Announcements forum so topics posted by others aren't visible?

The UK MkIVs Forum
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2003 :  11:54:27  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan

Besides it is my own reputation. If I cant install them it wont hurt you.

I obviously second Dayve's opinion. And we're not critical, maybe we are just a bit surprised that someone who admits (openly, I must recognize) that may mess things up, offers to get paid to install mods. That is certainly something I wouldn't do, cause I would be obviously ashamed if I ever had to admit to a user that I had messed up his/her forum and couldn't fix it. Of course, that wouldn't happen because I would never offer to get paid to help on something I would need help with too.

Also, your disclaimer is obviously wrong, when you say that any other Snitz community member could mess up someone's forum, as well. Some people here are professional developers, others are just plain good programmers with a lot of experience. There is no way anyone of these members would mess people's forums and not be able to fix it, understand?! There is a universe of difference in having 20 years programming experience or having a couple months, you know?!

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

redbrad0
Advanced Member

USA
3725 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2003 :  11:58:43  Show Profile  Visit redbrad0's Homepage  Send redbrad0 an AOL message
About your site
It is very colorless and needs some help. Look at the forums that win the awards and see what all of them have in common as far as looks and they are not plain sites. Don't have your main home page go right to a page where you have to click on a link to goto the portal page. Either have a redirect in the ASP code or have the page refresh after 5 seconds to the portal page. If you have it redirect after 5 seconds even if your portal page takes 10 seconds to load (since its loading very slow) the user will never know because it will be refreshing without them knowing about it.

About offering coding
I can understand you wanting to get into the ASP world and want to make money off development, but you have to have something to show you know what you are doing and be confident in what you do. Dayve is correct about making backups before doing any work. Here is a helpful hint on what I do. Before I start working on any website I create some folders like this...

Websites/domainname.com/date

So for your site I would do
websites/ryanssitecom/031029

I save all files into that folder before I start working on them. After everything is downloaded onto my local PC I create another folder for the previous day..
websites/ryanssitecom/031028

and copy all the files from the 031029 directory into the 031028 directory. I work on the 031029 directory so then I always have the customers original files. Then every new day I create a new folder (Example 031030) and just download the files I am working on as needed. This way If something happens and the customer says, "I like the site like it was on 8/27/03 can you make it back to that" I have a backup of each day on my computer. I then every month burn all the files for websites onto CD's and then start all over. This might seem like alot of work, but it makes sure I have plenty of backups so nothing every gets so messed up I can start back to where I was at any given time.

Hopefully this helps you a small bit on being more organized so you don't have to worry about a disclaimer on "Sorry if I mess of you forum, but I will try for $XXX" I know I am not trying to make you feel bad about trying to get money for installing MOD's and I am sure nobody else is, but there are professional developers here at Snitz that either do the Mod's for free or small fee. Do Mods for free until you can feel more comfortable and more confident in yourself where you do not have to offer a disclaimar.

Brad
Oklahoma City Online Entertainment Guide
Oklahoma Event Tickets
Go to Top of Page

Ryan
Average Member

USA
858 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2003 :  13:42:14  Show Profile  Visit Ryan's Homepage
You all are assuming that I dont make backups. That I dont know when to make a backup database and when not to.
Fact is I do.
I make backup files because I never would want to leave a customer stranded with a messed up forum. I simply include that because what if (in a worst case scenario) my computer crashes (which it shouldnt because it is new)?
All I am asking for is advice/compliments/suggestion/critisicm on the design of my site. Not what my site is about. What if someone had a political forum and you started popping your opinions over here in the Show Off Your Forums forum? That is not what this is available for. Besides if you have a problem with my site's content and you all becoming hurt because I say it is possible to mess a forum up e-mail me.

BTW I am not saying that any of you would make a mistake because of lack of responsibility on your side. I am simply saying we are all human.
Sorry if I am sounding angry. You all are saying "dont mean to make you mad" but you arent exactly making it sound like you mean that:
quote:
There is a universe of difference in having 20 years programming experience or having a couple months, you know?!

Forum Setup Help
Go to Top of Page

Cliff
Average Member

United States
501 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2003 :  14:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Cliff's Homepage
Ryan,
I feel partly responsible for starting this. You are correct that you posted this in the "Show-Off Your Forums" section and not slam the person who set it up forum; however, I needed to comment on the disclaimer you posted on your services, firstly and most important because I think it is completely inappropriate to apologize up front for not doing it correctly, this will scare away any potential customer - I know I would never agree to that. Secondly, there is a typo. We all make them, but I'd spell check the pages.

I read all of the comments people posted here and find them all appropriate. These are highly regarded and immensely experienced moderators. Most program full-time for a living. I have a lot of respect for them. I think they were only trying to help. I understand you are trying to offset the cost of your sites, possibly this isn't the best mechanism to accomplish that at this point in your career.

I try to never offer anything other than generic help on this site, I fear I would make something worse. I have over 200 posts, mostly because I ask for a lot of help. I learn from everyone here and read most posts. This is a fantastic community that you are a part of. Don't take what others said too hard, they are trying to help.

As for your site, it looks OK.

Cliff
Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2003 :  15:14:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan

You all are assuming that I dont make backups. That I dont know when to make a backup database and when not to.
Fact is I do.
I make backup files because I never would want to leave a customer stranded with a messed up forum. I simply include that because what if (in a worst case scenario) my computer crashes (which it shouldnt because it is new)?

Hi Ryan;

About backups... There should NEVER be a time when you work directly with the database without a backup copy. You should always have a backup, no matter if the code appears to not do anything to the DB or not. I'm not sure if you've ever been in a jam where you think "crap, I should've made a backup!", I think many of us have been in that position.

I wanted to say something about the disclaimer, but I'm no expert programmer, I've been at this for about a year now, and have learned loads. The moderators here are some of the best programmers round.

quote:
There is a universe of difference in having 20 years programming experience or having a couple months, you know?!

This quote holds a lot of truth.

I think until you can understand and debug complex script, it'd be better to not charge for MOD installs. I've helped a few people here - free of charge, and after modifying the forum files and developing (not releasing) a few MODs of my own, I think I have a good understanding of the code. Would I install MODs and forums for a fee? No. I'd be glad to help where I can, but not for money.

Edited by - Dave. on 29 October 2003 15:15:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07