MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 Hide or suspend a post
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr Pink

United Kingdom
387 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2003 :  17:58:05  Show Profile  Visit Mr Pink's Homepage  Send Mr Pink an AOL message
This would be a useful feature.

The ability to hide a posting when you are not sure if it should be deleted or not. Moderators could hide a message if they think that it breaks forum guidlines and Admins could decide whether to delete it or reinstate it.

It's a bit like approving a posting before it is allowed onto the boards, but in reverse.

I don't know how difficult this would be but to apply but would like to hear any comments.

Martin
Leyland Forum Leyland Lancashire UK

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2003 :  18:14:52  Show Profile
This is what moderation does, isn´t it?
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2003 :  18:17:08  Show Profile
We created a forum that is hidden to everyone except moderators specifically for holding topics that we wanted to remove from general view before we decided whether to delete them (you can't move just a post, only the entire topic).

--Jördan
It's a wasted day if you don't spend at least part of it flying upside down.
Go to Top of Page

Mr Pink

United Kingdom
387 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2003 :  18:38:29  Show Profile  Visit Mr Pink's Homepage  Send Mr Pink an AOL message
As far as I know, moderators cannot suspend a posting. I have a private area that I can move whole topics to if I wanted. But I cannot move or hide one message out of a topic, I would have to delete it or edit it.

Martin
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2003 :  21:08:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Pink

As far as I know, moderators cannot suspend a posting. I have a private area that I can move whole topics to if I wanted. But I cannot move or hide one message out of a topic, I would have to delete it or edit it.

That is correct. I don't know if it's possible to edit the data base and force a specific reply back into requiring moderation, but there is a DB field in the REPLY table (R_STATUS) that might be used for that purpose. If so, it would be fairly straightforward to create a simple SQL command to change the R_STATUS value for a specific reply. THAT might do the trick for you.

--Jördan
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2003 :  21:14:29  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
Yeah, a simple "Hide Post" link would work.

BTW the R_STATUS field can hold the following values:
1 - Reply has been approved by an admin or moderator and can be viewed by all users
2 - Reply has been put on hold and can only be viewed by an admin or moderator
3 - Reply was rejected by an admin or moderator and will be deleted

Hope that helps.

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz

Edited by - OneWayMule on 20 August 2003 21:14:42
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2003 :  21:18:21  Show Profile
So setting the R_STATUS value to 2 would do the trick. All you need to know is the reply id. You can either add a link in each post, or if it doesn't come up frequently, use a separate admin action to set the value. That's what I do in my USER PROBATION MOD. The code in that MOD could easily be altered to create a HOLD REPLY MOD by changing the SQL command just a bit.

--Jördan
Go to Top of Page

Faizan
Average Member

United Kingdom
592 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2003 :  21:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Faizan's Homepage  Send Faizan an AOL message  Send Faizan an ICQ Message  Send Faizan a Yahoo! Message
quote:

When you have to hide a post, why not use the HTML comment tag rather than deleting it? That would work fine.

»Snitz Graphics
Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2003 :  00:18:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Faizan

quote:

When you have to hide a post, why not use the HTML comment tag rather than deleting it? That would work fine.

View source would show the code...Wouldn't work at all.
Go to Top of Page

Mr Pink

United Kingdom
387 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2003 :  08:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Mr Pink's Homepage  Send Mr Pink an AOL message
Thanks for the advice, I will have a look tonight. I like the probation mod, very good idea.

Martin
Go to Top of Page

volition
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2003 :  21:32:56  Show Profile  Visit volition's Homepage
I also created an "On Hold" forum where mods could move posts.

For details, see:

stopping moderators being heavy handed w/ deletehttp://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=44634

Volition® - The Net's Oldest Free-Stuff Site

Snitz Forum at http://forum.volition.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07