New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rgrund

Austria
206 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2003 :  13:18:37  Show Profile
Hi,

As you might know I have written the Sitestat Version 1.1 and I am now getting ready for Version 2 release. I have some questions and would like to get some feedback so that I know in what direct i should go.

1. Would you be willing to pay 5$ for an update? The MOD will be set up that it needs to have a license code and the code will only be working if the license code is correct.

2. What addiational information will you be looking for? i have many suggestions but I ask you to give me some feedback!

3. What graphic display are you looking for? I can incorporate graphs but these will be slowing down the processor

4. Will you want to use this code outside the Snitz forum as well?

5. Will you be accepting that you have to set up a new db? Every viewed page will be logged as one entry into this new db. But wait, the db table will be cleaned out after the data has been analysed and the output has been stored as html codes.

I am thankful for any feedback and I hope to get alot.

Best regards,

Bob

Internet should be OPENSOURCEd!

Reinsnitz
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2003 :  11:16:19  Show Profile  Visit Reinsnitz's Homepage  Send Reinsnitz an AOL message  Send Reinsnitz an ICQ Message  Send Reinsnitz a Yahoo! Message
For license and leagal reasons though, make sure your not using any Snitz Forums code in your MOD in any way. (Shouldn't be too hard, but wanted to remind you that if you incorporate any Snitz code in the MOD you will have to put it under the license that the forum is under).

Reinsnitz (Mike)
Go to Top of Page

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2003 :  11:41:13  Show Profile
rgrund, I would make it free.

what if other MOD developers all did this, then the only the base forum would be free !?
Go to Top of Page

Reinsnitz
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2003 :  12:14:21  Show Profile  Visit Reinsnitz's Homepage  Send Reinsnitz an AOL message  Send Reinsnitz an ICQ Message  Send Reinsnitz a Yahoo! Message
wii, sadly there are many other forums like this... the other thing to keep in mind is that there are a lot of people out there that will make mods for free and distribute them for free... and will duplicate other people's mods in function...

Some people though will like exactly what some people will put out and will pay a few bucks for the work done...

There are good and bad sides to this for both the consumer and the developer. The big questions have to be answered by the developer though... how much and what he or she is willing to deal with.

Reinsnitz (Mike)
Go to Top of Page

wizard

208 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2003 :  23:46:15  Show Profile  Visit wizard's Homepage
I think that it is the free MODs here and the ability to do whatever you want with regard to your own forum is what makes snitz so popular.
Go to Top of Page

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 01 July 2003 :  12:55:41  Show Profile
I know that was the single biggest selling point for me - I have modified many of the MODs I've downloaded to do something just slightly different than originally intended, but perfectly suited for my needs. Someone may later take my twist and take it in a direction I never thought of, yet one which opens a whole new set of capabilities.

If we can't build off each other, then the team collaborative environment is choked and the rapid advance of features and options will slow. When you think about it, that is a fundamentally key part of what makes Snitz great - the depth and breath of the knowledge and skill represented by this group of users. With this group backing you, you can do practically anything. Leave it free.

* The optimist says the cup is half full. The pessimist says it's half empty. But the engineer knows the truth - the cup's design is incorrectly sized.
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 01 July 2003 :  15:02:11  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
I'd never neither pay nor demand money for a Snitz MOD.

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 01 July 2003 :  22:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

Hi Bob,

This is a tough one to talk about, I think. Well, when it comes to money, that is.

It seems that the community has a long standing reputation for sharing code based on good will and the desire to share and share alike. I think it "may seem encroaching" on others as interpretted by others (as well) to ask for a fee for services. For those not familiar with the word encroach, please go to this link at Meriam-Webster's Dictionary Online:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=encroach

Frankly, for your work $5 is not much to ask at all. And I understand how hard it is to do something that is extensive (with support) for free.

Could there be an alternative approach? Perhaps by including a banner advertising graphic in with your MOD and making a request to those who use your MOD ... something to the effect of, "If you find my work useful for your site, please promote my services by using my banner in your advertising program."

I like your work, Bob. It's just the tempo of the site isn't set up for fee-based code.

Sincerely yours,

Etymon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07