Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  15:08:12  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage
A user of my forums asked this:

Just an idea, but I wonder if it would ever be possible to create a drop down list of the..oh, say...5 most recent topics posted to in each forum. Sometimes I can't remember which forum a topic was in.

Sounds like a good idea. Do we have something like this?

If not, it would seem to me that it'd have to be on default.asp - which could get congested. I was thinking maybe a pop-up window would work better, much like the "Who has posted in a thread" mod, only it would show last xx posts made instead [live links, I guess].

Can anyone do this? Does something like it already exist? I use Access 2000 w/3.4.03.

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  05:13:08  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage
Ideas? Suggestions? Help?

In effect ... "bump".
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2003 :  05:16:32  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage
One last bump ...

Has this been done [doesn't seem so] or might anyone give it a shot?

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

masterao

Sweden
1678 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2003 :  05:53:55  Show Profile  Visit masterao's Homepage
I haven't seen anyone done exactly what you are asking for, but I think you could achieve what you want by modifying the recent topics mod.

Jan
===========
FR Portal Forums | Active Users 4.0.20 Mod
Go to Top of Page

DoraMoon
Average Member

Taiwan
661 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2003 :  10:52:45  Show Profile
hi~ Rich,

here is a simple demonstration to get the lastest xx topics in each forum.. top5_per_forum_TEST.zip
i just a small modify from that Syndicate MOD we've talked before.

i have no idea where you'd like to place these topics list in default page.
so just try my best to make it more easierly to implement as possible.
you can take it as a example, and modify some code to fit your need.

hope this helpful for you.
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2003 :  19:07:09  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage
Hey thanks, DM ... I think that might do the trick. Thank you, too, Jan ... I looked at the description of that MOD ... sounds similar to Active Topics ... yes? I think DoraMoon's idea would suit my purposes better.

So ... I was thinking an icon - of some sort - appearing in each forum on the default.asp page. Clicking would bring up a smallish pop-up listing the xx most recent posts within that specific forum.

So ... uh ... how is that done? I'm sorry to be an idiot at this, but I once tried to duplicate the call-up of the Archived Topics icon [which normally appears on default.asp] on the individual forum pages [forum.asp]. Couldn't ... :(

If someone knows a simple method, please pass it on.

Thanks to all of you!!

Rich
Go to Top of Page

masterao

Sweden
1678 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2003 :  05:49:47  Show Profile  Visit masterao's Homepage
Is it the code for the actual link, or the code to only display the icon if there are any posts in that specific forum you want help with?

Jan
===========
FR Portal Forums | Active Users 4.0.20 Mod
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2003 :  20:15:35  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage

I guess, once I start this, I'll need "help" with both phases you mention ...

Let's say the the icon is called: icon_top_posts.gif

I'd need it to appear in all forums that have any posts in them when a registered member logs in.

Then, a user could click on that icon to bring up a pop-up window listing the 5 most recent posts in that forum ...

Sometime over this weekend, I'll try out DoraMoon's file. Have you looked at that yet?

Rich
Go to Top of Page

DoraMoon
Average Member

Taiwan
661 Posts

Posted - 14 June 2003 :  02:08:30  Show Profile
hi~ Rich,

this idea is great!
i think i can do a pop-up version of the test page easily...

but the difficulty is...
in above test example, we did'nt consider the "Private Forum" issue yet..
you know, there are a lots different types of Private Forum in Snitz.. password, hidden, allowed member list.. ect.
if we want to make it as a independent pop-up page. we'll also need to do something extra code to prevent users seeing that topics they should'nt see.

i'll think about is it a simple way to solve this problem. if i got it, will try to make it as another example for you soon.
Go to Top of Page

DoraMoon
Average Member

Taiwan
661 Posts

Posted - 14 June 2003 :  08:09:53  Show Profile
ok, here is the pop-up page to show 5 most recent topics per forum - pop_top_posts.zip
a small modified example files to default.asp and inc_iconfiles.asp also including.
just search '##### Top 5 Posts per forum to know where the added code.

it's still just a example, you may need to change the pop-up window size, which topic infomation showing, page layout.. and a lots... by yourself.

i'm also did'nt test it very much. if any problem found, just let me know again.
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 14 June 2003 :  18:20:07  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage
As they say in the olde neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY, "Poifect"! Excellent job, DoraMoon!

Actually, it's better than I envisioned. Nice job. Here's the icon I used, if anyone would like to use this as a MOD: [grabbed this quickly - "hot files" - oh well - if someone has something better ...]

Briefly checking, it seems to work great. Will report back here if I discover anything that needs fixin'.

Thank you for your time & effort, DM!

Rich
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07