Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  05:58:38  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

Hey OWM,

I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded your button_search.gif file from your site. It wasn't included in the .zip, and it didn't come with the Snitz 3.3.05 .zip.

I want to encourage prospects to join to become members, and I am also anticipating your "My Searches" MOD to either be added or created as a stand alone MOD. So since I don't want to record the activity of guests and their searches (because I want to tease guests to death) I modified search.asp to include the following:

if mlev > 0 then
			if CInt(strSLDoLog) = 1 then
			  Call AddSearchToDB()
			  Call AddKeywordsToDB()
			  Call AddQueriesToDB()
			end if
	end if

This way when a guest does a search, the keywords aren't recorded. Actually nothing is recorded. When a guest looks at the Search Log, they can still click on the Search button, and perform the same search as the member. However, their search is still unrecorded.

This will also reduce the temptation of some weird guests to spam my forum with key phrases that may be phrases none of us appreciate. Like some sales pitch set up as a mock query. If only a member can have his searches saved, then I think fewer will dare such publicity stunts. Some people are like that. They'll do anything for attention, you know.

On the cheerful side of things, I think by omitting guest searches, this will help members who are searching to get better acquainted with other members who have similar needs and interests as shown in their own searches.

Will post more when I can do more.

Cheers,

Etymon

Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  14:54:20  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
quote:
I am using Snitz 3.3.05, so perhaps for Snitz 3.4.03 the SLS_METHOD could work fine with the Data Type as int. I'm not sure how the search.asp is setup for 3.4.03.

In v3.4 the search form posts an integer value; if you would like me to provide a Snitz v3.3 version of this MOD, let me know.

quote:
I want to encourage prospects to join to become members, and I am also anticipating your "My Searches" MOD to either be added or created as a stand alone MOD. So since I don't want to record the activity of guests and their searches (because I want to tease guests to death)

Very good idea, Etymon.
What about a admin option whether to log guest searches or not? And as another addition a option to display "last x searches" and/or my "recent x searches"

Let me know what you think about that.

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  16:36:04  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Oh, I'm fine on the Snitz 3.3.05 version though I never know what bump I'll run over, so thank you for the offer. I may just need it sometime.

You may view what I have at http://www.carolinaequine.com/searchlog.asp

quote:
Very good idea, Etymon.

Thank you!

quote:
What about a admin option whether to log guest searches or not? And as another addition a option to display "last x searches" and/or my "recent x searches"

Any admin options would be greatly appreciated and useful.

Also, I thought about the anomynous (spelling? LOL!) users. Perhaps, on the search.asp page there could be the option for them to NOT have their searches viewable to the public in order to protect their privacy. However, if the admin could still see it (not sure for what reason really), it might still be useful for things ... internal stats perhaps.

Thanks for working with me,

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  00:02:21  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
quote:
Also, I thought about the anomynous (spelling? LOL!) users.

If you're talking about this MOD, then I'm afraid I can't include that since i've never used this MOD.

quote:
Perhaps, on the search.asp page there could be the option for them to NOT have their searches viewable to the public in order to protect their privacy. However, if the admin could still see it (not sure for what reason really), it might still be useful for things ... internal stats perhaps.

Hmm... I'm not sure if this is really useful;
BTW you just discovered a bug - as Admin you should be able to always see all statistics; the display options should affect other users only.

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  19:57:21  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Actually, I am thinking of converting the Guest feature on your MOD to acting like the Active Users MOD where a person can choose to be invisible. Where ever it says Guest on your Search log, I'll see if I can have it say, Anomynous or something to that effect.

For example, when an anomynous user is logged in and viewing the search log, she will see her own searches with her name on them, and the searches of non-anomynous members will have their names on them, and the searches of other anomynous members will still say say "Anomynous". This way, it will integrate with the usefulness of the Active Users' anomynous feature.

I am thinking about having an option on the search.asp page where a person can choose to not have their search viewable or not, like a checkbox. This way if it doesn't matter to the anomynous user that their search is viewable, then that will work (by default for them it will be checked for invisible). If someone is doing a really stupid sounding search, they can protect their integrity also, by placing a check in the box (by defaul for them the box will be unchecked).

I know it's alot to think about. Just a wish list I suppose. Thanks again for the MOD work though! And, if I needed the guest feature for my needs, I would definitely keep it.

Bug? I discovered a bug! Cool!

Etymon

Edited by - Etymon on 26 May 2003 20:08:57
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  20:11:47  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

By the way, I need to know how to fix something on your MOD.

I notice if a member does a redundant search that instead of that search being tallied as in the number of times it was searched, it is added to the list which makes the list longer. I'm just trying to make the list shorter with fewer pages to look through. That's all.
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  23:27:19  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
Thanks a lot for your detailed suggestions, Etymon!
Will try to incorporate them all, seems like the next version will have a lot more features...

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2003 :  04:45:06  Show Profile
Thanks for this mod, OneWayMule; sure bits the snot out of my pitiful attempt at text file log.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

Heynow

374 Posts

Posted - 02 June 2003 :  19:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Heynow's Homepage  Send Heynow an AOL message  Send Heynow a Yahoo! Message
When doing a search with the word he's I get this error:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e14'

Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'SLK_KEYWORD='he's''.

/forum/inc_searchlog.asp, line 47

Political Forums
:::Stay n Chat
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2003 :  05:14:14  Show Profile
Also, if you're not using the dropdown members list on search.asp you'll get a type mimatch error, which can be avoided as follows:

On line 17 of in_searclog.asp:
Replace
strSLByMember = CInt(Request.Form("SearchMember"))
With
if strUseMemberDropDownBox = 1 then
    strSLByMember = CLng(Request.Form("SearchMember"))
else
    strSLByMember = getMemberID(chkString(Request.Form("SearchMember"),"SQLString"))
end if

Beginning on line 30 of inc_searchlog.asp:
Replace
  strsql = strsql & "SLS_SEARCHDATE, "
  strsql = strsql & "SLS_BYMEMBER)"
With
  strsql = strsql & "SLS_SEARCHDATE"
if strSLByMember <> 0 then
    strsql = strsql & ", SLS_BYMEMBER"
end if
  strsql = strsql & ")"

Beginning on line 43 of inc_searchlog.asp:
Replace
  strsql = strsql & strSLSearchDate & "', '"
  strsql = strsql & strSLByMember & "')"
With
  strsql = strsql & strSLSearchDate & "'"
if strSLByMember <> 0 then
    strsql = strsql & ", " & strSLByMember
end if
  strsql = strsql & ")"

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

The Impact

Australia
398 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2003 :  06:15:36  Show Profile
Sounds like a good MOD. I will install it some time this weekend.

I'll let you know how I get on installing the MOD !

Great Job !

Edited by - The Impact on 03 June 2003 06:48:20
Go to Top of Page

The Impact

Australia
398 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2003 :  06:47:51  Show Profile
I've had time to start installing it tonight !

Only thing to maybe change is in the changes to search.asp

When you add some code under
if Request.QueryString("mode") = "DoIt" then
	if Request.Form("Search") <> "" or Request.QueryString("MEMBER_ID") <> "" then
		if Request.Form("Search") <> "" then

It says that the line is approximately 339. I'm installing it on a blank never used Snitz 3.4.03 and I found that code on line 220... Might need to be changed. Up to you.
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2003 :  17:54:09  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
I'll fix that, thanks

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07