Modified Quote Layout
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidRhodes

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  06:59:34  Show Profile
I'd like to change the display/looks when someone uses the quote tag in a post. Rather than display a <HR> at the top and bottom, i'd like a thin border all the way around and a different colour inside, like phpBB uses. Has anyone done this before or know where i'd need to make changes?

The UK MkIVs Forum

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  07:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
You would have to get very familiar with the code in atleast the following files:

inc_func_posting.asp - function CleanCode(fString)
inc_func_common.asp - function chkString(pString,fField_Type)

Do a text search for quote: in both files.

Look at the HTML and be aware of the conversion of HTML to forum code.

Back up everything before you do this.

The border you are looking for is probably done with a table nested within a table like you see here at Snitz. The nice little border that is around all the tables on this forum is done with nested tables.

You might want to place before the <blockquote> a <table><tr><td bgcolor=red> and after the </blockquote> a </td></tr></table> just to see if that is what you are after. That is not a nested table, but atleast it will get you started and if you see a red area around your quote, then you know you are on the right track.

I forget if you have to do this to just one or the other or to both of the files. It's been a while. Someone else may have more recent experience.

Also, the id=quote is important. If you run into trouble without it just remember that you probably need it.

Back up your files.

Cheers,

Etymon

Edited by - Etymon on 21 May 2003 07:36:27
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  07:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Also,

When you read the code like what is below:

fString = replace(fString, "<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=" & strDefaultFontSize & " id=quote>","[/quote]", 1, -1, 1)

It means this:

fString = replace

replaces this:

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=" & strDefaultFontSize & " id=quote>

with this:

[/quote]

and that is partly how the HTML is converted to Forum Code.

This part:

</font id=quote><font face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=" & strDefaultFontSize & " id=quote>

is where your message font size is returned to the default font size so you should actually place your </td></tr></table> right about here:

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote></td></tr></table><font face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=" & strDefaultFontSize & " id=quote>

Again, someone else may have more recent experience than I.

Have fun,

Etymon

Edited by - Etymon on 21 May 2003 07:47:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.4 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07