Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

redfox
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2003 :  12:51:30  Show Profile
hey folks

is there any way of having two or more URL pages running off the same Snitz server-install?

I have one forum up and running and now i want another one that is not related and has different graphics. the standard configuration points to only ONE url, but presumably if you know what you are doing (ie you go into the code by hand) you could set up a second forum at another URL?

if not - any other ideas?

thanks

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2003 :  18:04:03  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
This second forum will have different contents?

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

redfox
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2003 :  19:05:56  Show Profile
Yes - two completely different forums, hosted on the same server, using the same snitz-install.
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2003 :  19:42:44  Show Profile
if they are to have two different member bases, then just upload a second copy of the database and copies of the files to your second forum folder.

if you want to have the same member database, then you can copy the all of the forum tables except the member related ones and give them a different prefix from the other tables. then, copy the files to your second forum folder, making sure to change the table prefix in config.asp.

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

redfox
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  08:54:13  Show Profile
OK thanks. However, could you be more detailed/explicit ie step-by-step about this, because I don't have the experience to fully understand your reply. And would I need administrative access to the server to do this?
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  09:01:03  Show Profile
you just need the same access to the server as you have to set up one forum. which solution do you need instructions on? for two separate membership bases or one?

Go to Top of Page

redfox
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  10:07:46  Show Profile
OK - I only have ftp access to one area of the server; I can't change read/write permissions etc; I don't have access to the admistrative part of my snitz install ie the files and where they are. But I could take relevant files from the software and ftp them elsewhere in a new folder.

What I want to do is create an *entirely* new forum, with new membership and everything else.
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  10:20:34  Show Profile
can you just upload a new copy of the database to the same location as the first one (change the name to something other that what your first one is)

upload a copy of other files to the new folder, making sure to change your connection string in config.asp to reflect the name of the second database. then run setup.asp under the new folder.

Go to Top of Page

redfox
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  11:40:11  Show Profile
<<can you just upload a new copy of the database to the same location as the first one (change the name to something other that what your first one is) >>

What is the datbase file called/what extension does it have/how can I recognise it?

<<<upload a copy of other files to the new folder, making sure to change your connection string in config.asp to reflect the name of the second database. then run setup.asp under the new folder.>>

Which "other files" do I need?

Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  11:41:33  Show Profile
it is the file with the .mdb extension

you need all the other files, except tool.zip

Go to Top of Page

redfox
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  12:19:35  Show Profile
so i place all those files in another folder, then presumably get the configuration page again, where i can point it to a *new* page which i will create, run seup, and it should work?
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  12:25:15  Show Profile
i'm not sure what you mean by configuration page. just put the files there, making sure to edit config.asp for the new database. Then run setup.asp under the new folder.

For instance, let's say you have two brand-spanking-new snitz databases:
snitz_forums_2000.mdb
snitz_forums_2000_2.mdb

And let's say you have two forum folders on your website:
www.yoursite.com/forum
www.yoursite.com/forum2

the config.asp file will have a connection string pointing the appropriate database:
www.yoursite.com/forum 's config.asp --> snitz_forums_2000.mdb
www.yoursite.com/forum2 's config.asp --> snitz_forums_2000_2.mdb

then to setup each of the forums, you will simply type the following in your browser's address bar:
for forum1 --> www.yoursite.com/forum/setup.asp
for forum2 --> www.yoursite.com/forum2/setup.asp

Go to Top of Page

redfox
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  13:00:24  Show Profile
ok so you don't need any read/write administration, access to asp on the server or whatever, so long as you can ftp these files and follow these intructions?

(configuration page: in the Admim Options section)
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  13:16:58  Show Profile
yes, and as long as the folder where you put the databases has write permissions on it. If it doesn't or you don't know if it does, then you need to contact your host.

Go to Top of Page

redfox
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  13:51:47  Show Profile
i didn't realise it was this simple - i thought you had to mess with asp script on the server. seems straightforward. but maybe even more simple would be to ftp a complete new snitz download to a new folder, and take it from there?

Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  15:00:00  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
You can do that. Since you're the one who will do it, maybe you should decide what is more simple :).

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07