New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

DJBBIZ

214 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2003 :  15:50:56  Show Profile  Visit DJBBIZ's Homepage
If you use the SQL db download and then update it with the new db which is in the subsequent patch you can't attach the database because the log db does not matchup and creates an LSN transaction Log Sequence Number error. I think you would need to include both the .mdf and .ldf files in the patch. Even better a SQL script would be helpful. Since 80-90%+ users/developers host their SQL Server database with an outside third party they cannot use the attach command and must have a runtime SQL Server version like the Desktop developer version of SQL Server 2000, and attach this to their local server and then use DTS to upload through Enterprise Manager or create a script to run on the SQl db.

"The difference between good ideas and good results is performance"
the management institute | tmiFinance | tmiCreative | ProfileOnDemand
Go to Top of Page

DJBBIZ

214 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2003 :  16:15:35  Show Profile  Visit DJBBIZ's Homepage
I used EM DTS procedure to export the most recent Access download to SQL Server. The original SQL Server db was missing two tables that are in the Access db:

Files and VirtFolders

Is this the reason for the new SQL Server db file in the last patch?

Go to Top of Page

beso

Finland
63 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2003 :  17:20:15  Show Profile  Visit beso's Homepage
DJBBIZ, first of all thank you for detailed and objective review of "Smart Publish" and for your time you have spent to do this – all this would give me good help for future design and enhancements.

Yes, Smart Publish as application is totally independent from Snitz Forums including databases – may be some end users would like to use it as stand alone application (I have plan to port it also with other popular Portals and Forums; even to port it simultaneously with more then one Portal/Forum)

1. I only have done brief test MS SQL Server database to have information how much ASP/VB code would be to change for it - appeared that code changes are required but minimal – real MS SQL Server version would be not Light but Pro version of Smart Publish.

2. Example of rich edit article can be
http://qseli.net/sp/journal/article_view.asp?InfoID=141&iabspos=1&vjob=vsub,40
where is –
a. Inline form (for search)
b. Inline JavaScript (skin choosing),
c. Inline global CSS use (all article)

3. Columns – typical 2 column layout of Smart Publish can be changed to 3 column with no problems (and is a job and choice of end user – I have no predefined information for 3rd column – if some Portal application is used this can be any includes or any advertisements)

4. More flex CSS management is now added (dynamic skins) – end user can make some skins look like ported Image or other Portal (actually I like approach of MegaBBS color schemes/skins – and would do the same for Smart Publish ).

5. “Files” and “VirtFolders” tables are from Images/Files separate database which was not considered to be MS SQL Server database - this one is to be Access database – it can be very big and does not have hard work (as I know on most servers MS SQL Server database space is expensive)

I am carefully studying other yours notes...

Thank you to wish my tiny/small "Smart Publish" be some kind like "Business Week" or "Wall Street Journal" = pure men's "Wall Street Journal"

P.S. May be some effect can be added using "Listing Settings" link on the bottom of "Home" page

Edited by - beso on 19 April 2003 18:04:09
Go to Top of Page

DJBBIZ

214 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2003 :  19:07:35  Show Profile  Visit DJBBIZ's Homepage
The access version is indeed giving me SQL Server errors, I have not tried yet to go back and reload the SQL db code to see if this works better. Indeed it will likely need some serious beta testing to get it running well. From what I can see it is a good product with solid backend, and I don't think giving it more of a rich look will be that hard. Here is an example of a beta mod here which is a typical, rich looking article with pictures, diagrams, author, printer friendly, rate this article, bookmark...this is beta but fully integrated into Snitz:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/showquestion.asp?faq=5&fldAuto=108

Go to Top of Page

DJBBIZ

214 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2003 :  19:42:12  Show Profile  Visit DJBBIZ's Homepage
By the way, the SQL code patch/update contains two files that are found in the original SQL download in both the admin folder and the journal folder:

articles_list.asp
article_view.asp

which is the correct folder and which one is redundant?

Go to Top of Page

DJBBIZ

214 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2003 :  20:00:55  Show Profile  Visit DJBBIZ's Homepage
I have gotten about as far as I can get without correct db's and SQl Server code. I tried using the SQL Server download and patch but the field names don't match up with the table fields in much of the code. This may be because I could not use the SQL db's due to the issues above and the most recent access db's may be updated with new names. An example seems to be many fields in the table with the prefix of "FirstOF..." but the code does not have this prefix in front of the field queries...After about 6-7 changes from 2-3 files, I figured it probable runs all through the code. Let me know when you have a clean SQL script and code to test. It appears like you are on a good path with a feature rich product but with continued work, as always...

Go to Top of Page

beso

Finland
63 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2003 :  16:05:53  Show Profile  Visit beso's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJBBIZ

I tried using the SQL Server download and patch but the field names don't match up with the table fields in much of the code. This may be because I could not use the SQL db's due to the issues above and the most recent access db's may be updated with new names. An example seems to be many fields in the table with the prefix of "FirstOF..." but the code does not have this prefix in front of the field queries...

DJBBIZ,
SQL and Access versions are not equal - Access version uses "queries" (where from "FirstOF..." like things come). And SQL version is of beta.1.2 version... Appeared that Access database upsizing is not upsizing queries (or I have done mistake) - after I build Views instead of Queries. Generally MS SQL Server version is stopped till beta tests of Access version finished. Sorry...

From the other side - I have finished "A'la Image Portal" skin for "Smart Publish"

Go to Top of Page

beso

Finland
63 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2003 :  16:12:21  Show Profile  Visit beso's Homepage
quote:
Here is an example of a beta mod here which is a typical, rich looking article with pictures, diagrams, author, printer friendly, rate this article, bookmark...this is beta but fully integrated into Snitz:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/showquestion.asp?faq=5&fldAuto=108

This MOD seams is very good - and absolutely enough for small eJournal

Go to Top of Page

DJBBIZ

214 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2003 :  16:21:01  Show Profile  Visit DJBBIZ's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by beso

quote:

I tried using the SQL Server download and patch but the field names don't match up with the table fields in much of the code. This may be because I could not use the SQL db's due to the issues above and the most recent access db's may be updated with new names. An example seems to be many fields in the table with the prefix of "FirstOF..." but the code does not have this prefix in front of the field queries...

DJBBIZ,
SQL and Access versions are not equal - Access version uses "queries" (where from "FirstOF..." like things come). And SQL version is of beta.1.2 version... Appeared that Access database upsizing is not upsizing queries (or I have done mistake) - after I build Views instead of Queries. Generally MS SQL Server version is stopped till beta tests of Access version finished. Sorry...

From the other side - I have finished "A'la Image Portal" skin for "Smart Publish"

I am aware of this and had problems with both databases anyway. I even converted the queries to tables but it did not work properly. The Access version was runnning fine and as I said its a solid product with lots of good options. I also noted it was very fast, and I assume from what I have seen of the code, its very efficient. The issue with the SQL Server version is that the old SQL database does not match the new patched files. As I stated above, you cannot attach the new revised SQL db without the log file to go with it. Try downloading a new set of SQL files with both the database and the log files with the most recent patched code and I will give it another try. Thanks

Edited by - DJBBIZ on 20 April 2003 16:22:36
Go to Top of Page

beso

Finland
63 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2003 :  08:32:29  Show Profile  Visit beso's Homepage
Virtual Annotation/Resime option is added.

Now you can mark/margine staring part of article's body text with "[annot]" and this part of the text would be used instead of Annotation(Resume).

Examlpe:
http://qseli.net/sp/journal/articles_list.asp?vjob=vsub,61

Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2003 :  11:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

Hi beso,

Thank you for the MOD. I am getting close to wanting to implement sometype of content management system for my site. I'll take a closer look at your MOD pretty soon. I may be upgrading my site to SQL soon as well. How is your development for SQL coming along? Thank you so much for offering this MOD for us to enjoy!!

Sincerely,

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2003 :  11:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Also, I read a Hacker's note at this address:

http://qseli.net/sp/journal/article_view.asp?InfoID=141&iabspos=1&vjob=vdocid,141

It is one of the example sites you listed earlier in this discussion.

Is the hacker's notice in reference to your MOD or just the site in general?

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

beso

Finland
63 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2003 :  14:53:55  Show Profile  Visit beso's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Etymon

Hi beso,

Thank you for the MOD. I am getting close to wanting to implement sometype of content management system for my site. I'll take a closer look at your MOD pretty soon. I may be upgrading my site to SQL soon as well. How is your development for SQL coming along? Thank you so much for offering this MOD for us to enjoy!!
Sincerely,
Etymon

Etymon,
Thank you for looking on my Smart Publish - I have tested SQL version of application and plan to develop full SQL version after beta tests finished

Go to Top of Page

beso

Finland
63 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2003 :  15:04:22  Show Profile  Visit beso's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Etymon

Also, I read a Hacker's note at this address:
http://qseli.net/sp/journal/article_view.asp?InfoID=141&iabspos=1&vjob=vdocid,141
It is one of the example sites you listed earlier in this discussion.
Is the hacker's notice in reference to your MOD or just the site in general?
Etymon

Unfortunally hacker (probably from Turkey):

2003-04-21 14:09:41 217.131.5.153 - W3SVC846 213.171.193.4 80 POST /sp/admin/login.asp - 302 0 89 791 78 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+98;+Win+9x+4.90;+Hotbar+4.0;+TUCOWS) ASPSESSIONIDQCQSBDDB=ACEPNKPDPNHBJBEEFGFONPNI;+Snitz00User=Pword=%27+OR+%27%27%3D+%27&Name=%27+OR+%27%27%3D+%27 http://qseli.net/sp/admin/login.asp

Destroyed database of one of the sites - I have checked and corrected ' simbol checking in logon script -- corrected login page is for download...

Edited by - beso on 21 April 2003 15:05:27
Go to Top of Page

beso

Finland
63 Posts

Posted - 30 April 2003 :  12:26:45  Show Profile  Visit beso's Homepage
31.03.03 - "New Articles" option [days 1,2,3; weeks 1,2] added

01.04.03 - Rating On/Off feature added - Global and per Article

07.04.03 - Dynamic skins "A'la Image Portal"

21.04.03 - Virtual Annotation/Resime option is added. Now you can mark/margine staring part of article's body text with "[ annot ]" and this part of the text would be used instead of Annotation(Resume)

25.04.03 - Printer friendly added

25.04.03 - Email to friend added

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07