New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

taropatch
Average Member

USA
741 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2003 :  01:54:38  Show Profile
Wasn't sure where this belongs. A couple members at my board asked my if they can sort topics in descending order (last reply at the top)?

I read this: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=35869&SearchTerms=sort,order

Seems to be a forum wide change though. Is there a mod for this so that maybe there is a drop down menu where the person could choose how they view it? Thanks.

AKW

Edited by - Roland on 13 March 2003 11:30:31

DoraMoon
Average Member

Taiwan
661 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2003 :  13:22:55  Show Profile
hi~ taropatch,

the Modified Topic Sorting just add a feature to set default sorting method of the "topics list" on forum.asp page. i'm afraid that it's not what you wanted.

i think what you need is a mod to topic.asp page. and i know there was a old mod called Post Sort Mod do this job. (i have this mod installed on my old 3.3 forum. )

but i can't find where this mod & related posts now.(i've tried search many times, still failed~) also i can't remember who is original author of this small addon to posts sorting....

anyway, i extract the modified code from my 3.3 topic.asp, and try upgraded it to fit v3.4. i think the modified code is easy understanding.
get the topic.asp modified example here: PostSortMod_topic.zip
base on a clean v3.4.03 topic.asp file, and just search...
'##### Post Sort Mod
to know where the code modified, total 7 places.

and what it look like this...

let me know if this helpful for you.

~......~.~~
Go to Top of Page

DavidRhodes

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2003 :  20:49:57  Show Profile
Good mod, i'll try it tomorrow, ASP.NET forums does the same thing

The UK MkIVs Forum
Go to Top of Page

taropatch
Average Member

USA
741 Posts

Posted - 16 March 2003 :  11:20:22  Show Profile
DoraMoon,

Thanks for the info and email!

AKW

Edited by - taropatch on 26 March 2003 00:18:36
Go to Top of Page

taropatch
Average Member

USA
741 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2003 :  03:06:30  Show Profile
DoraMoon,

I finally experimented with your topic.asp and it's great. How would I have the setting stored so that once users set their preferred sort, it stays that way?
Go to Top of Page

DoraMoon
Average Member

Taiwan
661 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2003 :  10:07:52  Show Profile
hi~ taropatch,

i think the easiest way to implement this, just similar to the nDays setting on forum.asp page (show all topics or 30 days topics by default...), stored the user defined value as Cookie.
but i'm not sure is this doing a right way, or any other better method can do this job more easily.

you know, someone users may dislike or disable these Cookie stuff. and the cookie value will affect to ALL topics after user've set it. not sure is this just what you want.

anyway, here is another version with Cookie feature.... PostSortMod_topic2.zip
simple instruction:
1. remove the added code 1-1 and 1-7 on previous version.
2. add new modifed code 2-1 and 2-2.
3. insert a new line "<input type=""hidden"" name=""Cookie"" value=""1"">" & vbNewLine & _ within 1-4 section.

i still can't find the original author of this Post Sort Mod, if someone know, please inform him/her about those modification for me. thanks!

and on more thing reminded, i can't test that new modified code very well (i only work on a local test forum now..), so not sure it can work for else. if any problem found, just let me know again.
(i'm really afraid that something missing... especially related to the feature of jumping pages or jump to last post.....)

hope this helpful for you.

p.s.
i've added FORUM_ID value to the cookie value too. so the posts sort setting will only affect to all topics on individual forum one by one.
if you want it affect to "all forums/whole board"... just change this line in 2-1
strCookiePostSort = strCookieURL & Forum_ID & "PostSort"
to
strCookiePostSort = strCookieURL & "PostSort"

Edited by - DoraMoon on 30 March 2003 10:09:45
Go to Top of Page

taropatch
Average Member

USA
741 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2003 :  12:35:30  Show Profile
Wow, that was fast! Thank you - I'll give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

DoraMoon
Average Member

Taiwan
661 Posts

Posted - 05 April 2003 :  03:51:55  Show Profile
hi~ taropatch,

just found a small bug and fixed it.
(sometimes it will return to default.asp page after user select the Post Sorting setting..)
and also a little change the Cookie setting to make it more reasonable.

the fixed code only in 2-1 and 2-3 section.
please re-download it (PostSortMod_topic2.zip) and check the modified code again. thx!
Go to Top of Page

taropatch
Average Member

USA
741 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2003 :  15:49:17  Show Profile
Thanks DoraMoon for all the help!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.37 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07