Changing the Default Topic Display Order
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NetArchitect
Starting Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2003 :  16:41:08  Show Profile  Visit NetArchitect's Homepage  Send NetArchitect an AOL message  Send NetArchitect an ICQ Message  Send NetArchitect a Yahoo! Message
Hey Ya'll,

I ran in to a bit of a Snag as I began the Topic Population Process of one of my Sites. Heres what I am seeking an Answer to.

How do I change the Order the Topics are Displayed in at the Forum view level by default - Per Forum.
Here is the Scenereo:

I have one Community which deals with American Founding Documents, the Constitution, Declaration of Independence ect. I am running access 2000 DB setup on a Privately hosted Win 2k Adv Svr environment on the Snitz 3.4.xx Modified Hybrid Version. (Has mods and beta type code changes as I am headed for On the Fly Translations) (I stand corrected from the next post so I edited this one toreflect that)

At the Forum level I have 3 kinds of Topic Displays:

1. The Document as a whole. And many docs will appear in a Locked/Sticky Format for Viewing only. These are so far displaying in the Order I Stick them and in an Ascending from creation fashion. Thats what I want.

2. The Document Sections. I have broken the Documents into Sections for easier Study and Discussion but they are still in a Locked - Sticky Format for viewing only, with a link to the Discussion forum/topic about that particular Section. I am also Implementing that at the Document level. These are displaying in a Descending Fashion from the Last Topic Added by default. That is Not what I want.

3. The Discussions on the Docs and Sections of Docs. These are displaying in the order of the last poster which makes following the discussion difficult unless you know to change the Order at the bottom of the page.

Can this be set in an Administrative way per Forum? Can I reset the Code somewhere or in the database, toDisplay Specific Forums in a Specific Default Display Order?

-We don't need Alien Races to come from other planets to Steal Our Children - We have CPS for that and they wouldn't take too kindly to some Outsider cutting in on their Action-

Edited by - ruirib on 31 January 2003 22:24:36

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2003 :  17:29:21  Show Profile
I'm a little tired right now, so I won't go into your questions if you don't mind. Someone else will surely handle them.
What I am interested in is why on earth you're installing version 4 beta updates on a version 3.4.3 forum? Those versions are not compatible at all. Either you're using a version 4 beta forum, or you're using a version 3.4.3, but you can't combine one with the other because their codes are completely different.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2003 :  22:24:17  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Ok, Roland addressed an important issue and you should follow his advice.

Now regarding forum topic display order customization, I would say that it is possible to customize the order, since you have access to the code. Probably the easier way to do this would be add a field to the FORUM_FORUM table, to save the sorting order for that specific forum, and the add some code to sort the forum according to the value in this field. This looks like a mod request to me, so I'll move this to the MOD W/O code forum.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

tenable
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 22 April 2003 :  17:53:17  Show Profile
Hi,I would like to know how to make the post list up with the first post last and the last post first or at the top. I hope that is clear.( the opposite to the norm!)to take effect throughout the forum. I hope this is different to the above request.

Edited by - tenable on 22 April 2003 17:58:11
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2003 :  05:25:20  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44326

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07