Recurring & Multi Day Events with New Calendar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve D.
Average Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12 March 2003 :  16:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Steve D.'s Homepage  Send Steve D. a Yahoo! Message
OK, after reading a post in the MOD Implemtation forum about this, and after looking at some different calendar programs for ideas i had a couple of thoughts on how this might be done.

Now I don't have the time or the skill set to do this, but would be willing to help.

the way I think it can be handled is:
-MaKe a seperate table in the DB similar to the Polls mod.
-Move the T_EVENT_DATE field from the FORUM_TOPICS table and place it in the FORUM_EVENTS table.
-I would rename that field to EVENT_START_DATE
-Add a field for EVENT_END-DATE (Now you can use that for multi day events, set to equal for single day events)
-Add a filed for EVENT_RECURRENCE_TYPE (values could be none, daily, weekly, biweekly, monthly, yearly, others, but you get what I'm saying)
-I would also add other customizable fields for extra information that can be configured stuff like URL, Cost, Location, etc.. will vary for different types of events.

That's how I would handle it, but again don't necessarily have any free time to do it right now.

Any thoughts?

Swing Dancing Video Clips - It's All Swing! Forum

Yodabutt1
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2003 :  17:11:10  Show Profile
I would LOVE to see recurring dates and multiday events added. It would save me a ton of time!
Please somebody....
Go to Top of Page

DavidRhodes

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2003 :  17:16:49  Show Profile
I agree this could be relatively simple to do, don't think you would need a seperate table though IMO. Taking the new Events calendar, why not just change the date to START_DATE and add END_DATE, then obviously ammend a few queries to display the new data appropriately.

The UK MkIVs Forum
Go to Top of Page

Steve D.
Average Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2003 :  18:19:47  Show Profile  Visit Steve D.'s Homepage  Send Steve D. a Yahoo! Message
My thinking was (not sure its correct) if you want to add the extra info besides start_date & end_date such as location, cost, url, etc... then each new topic would be carrying a holder for info it doesn't use.

I was sort of patterning this off of Davio's Poll Mod, that's how he handled it there.

Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2003 :  18:56:08  Show Profile
Yes an events table in the database is a good direction, but instead of EVENT_START_DATE, EVENT_END_DATE and EVENT_RECURRENCE_TYPE, I was thinking of adding each date entry individually. That way you could edit a single date if necessary. I already have a pretty good idea how this should be executed, but right now I'm searching for something better to replace the recordset filter because it doesn't work the same for all users.

My Mods:
New Events Calendar
New Non-database Active Users
Go to Top of Page

Steve D.
Average Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2003 :  23:19:32  Show Profile  Visit Steve D.'s Homepage  Send Steve D. a Yahoo! Message
OK, so on the form there would be an EVENT_START_DATE and EVENT_END_DATE and EVENT_RECURRENCE_TYPE and then all of the events would be added to the events table.

I like that, because like you said you can go and edit individual events.

What I use the current mod for is to list upcoming Swing Dances & Events. We have 1 dance every Monday, we have 1 dance every Wednesday, 1 dance every Friday, and then Saturday is weird, the first Saturday of the month there is 1 dance, the second Saturday of the month is a different dance, and the third Saturday of the month yet another different dance. Also sometimes the Monday night dance is cancelled, due to holidays so it's important to be able to edit the title or delete it all together.

So those are the requirements that I want to address with the new functionality.

Go to Top of Page

Yodabutt1
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - 05 April 2003 :  09:40:01  Show Profile
Is anyone brave enough to undertake this?! I would be eternally grateful!
Go to Top of Page

n8pbm

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 05 April 2003 :  09:56:38  Show Profile  Visit n8pbm's Homepage
I was going to try to do this but so far work and life is getting in the way. . Actually I was just going to make a multi-day addition. I have no need for the recurring events. I still plan on trying it but just need to fit it in. It is low on my list.

So if someone else creates this mod you would save me the time.

Mike
Great Lakes Pop Up Club Camping
Go to Top of Page

Yodabutt1
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - 05 April 2003 :  14:44:17  Show Profile
IF someone does attempt it..PLEASE oh PLEASE do the recurring events. That would save me at least an hour a week of repetative entry.
Gratefully yours,
Yody
Go to Top of Page

wizard

208 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  05:00:18  Show Profile  Visit wizard's Homepage
Yes, after all not all events take place in a single day. I don't think there is a need to add a brand new table, just add the column for end date is enough.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07