New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xenocryst
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2003 :  02:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Xenocryst's Homepage
Anyone hear of this...i remember dayve or someone saying that they had a panic button but i am wondering if there is a mod that would let you know either by sms or just calling you lol but notifying you over the phone when someone posts or as a subcription lets you know when someone posts in a certain part of the forum

rgrund

Austria
206 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2003 :  12:16:27  Show Profile
hi xenocyst,

not that i know of! I would be interest to get this as well.
As you are from the USA, check the site www.shnforum.com and you will see that there is a mod to send sms for the usa. this could easily we adapted for sending notifications! One just needs to add a new field in the profile and then some other scriplets!

If this would be possible in Europe then I would really do this mod. The problem is that not all gsm phones in europe also have a corresponding email address. this will take some time collect! if people know how the european gsm phone email address from a provider looks like, please post here.

I can supply the Austrian ones!

lets see if we can do something about this mod!

Robert

Internet should be OPENSOURCEd!

Edited by - rgrund on 10 March 2003 12:17:52
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2003 :  12:27:00  Show Profile
my phone offers text messaging via email, so all I would have to do is change my email address on the forum to the email address of my phone. however, i would get charge $0.25 for each message.

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2003 :  15:12:12  Show Profile
They charge you when someone sends you a text message??
That doesn't sound fair. Where I am, sending a text message via email is free. Only when sending an email from your phone they charge me. Costs the same as sending a text message from one cell phone to another.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2003 :  16:00:11  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
if your phone has an email address, this feature is really easy to implement.

Go to Top of Page

rgrund

Austria
206 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2003 :  16:39:14  Show Profile
I fully agree!! But we here in Austria have currently 5 Gsm provider. One of them is requiring a Code which you have to place in the Subject line and the sms per day are limited to 10. The code is supplied for free by the provider.

As we have so many providers in europe, thats the difficult part to combine into a good working mod.

Robert

Internet should be OPENSOURCEd!
Go to Top of Page

TheException
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2003 :  03:25:16  Show Profile
From my experience with Cell phone companies, it depends on your plan whether or not text messaging is included with no extra charges. The plan I had allowed me to receive an unlimited number for free, but it cost me 10 cents to send one....
Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2003 :  04:00:55  Show Profile
Here in China the two major mobile phone companies offer API for website to send sms but no email address for your phone number. sms builds up more than 1/3 of the income of the major portals. youngsters here download rings, screensavers, and select and send pre-written sms to friends.

fyi, sms is rather popular here. it costs about 0.012 us cents/piece sending, free receiving, unlimited. a phone call costs about 0.047 us cents/minute receiving/calling. there're other packages with different prices but you got the idea. rings/pix downloading cost more, about 0.13-0.24 US cents/piece.

And it's much easier to write a sms on the pc than on a cell phone, esp in Chinese.

many services offer option to bill on your cell phone. so if you don't have a credit card, just submit your cell phone number and it's done.

Go to Top of Page

jaydee_z

85 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2003 :  08:14:48  Show Profile
You can just basically rig something up. Like if new post then do this. I don't think i know the code of the top of my head. But, i think this mod would be simple

www.audiounix.tk

Go to Top of Page

Ienaris
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2003 :  05:13:24  Show Profile  Send Ienaris an ICQ Message
I am kind of keen on adding sms function to my forum. Based on the discussion here, there is not much info about it. It seems everyone is talking about the price of the sms rather than configuring the sms service. Can anyone share a thought about this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07