New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2001 :  04:12:17  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
this is a change to the private messages so that you can send to multiple recipients instead of just only 1 person at a time.

For example, suppose I want to send the same private message to Richard, Gor, and Huwr. I would just put "Richard, Gor, Huwr" in the send To input box and the message would get sent to all 3.

Just copy and past the text to replace privatesend_info.asp from the private messages MOD.

txt file: http://www.calvsa.net/snitz31sr4/privatesend_info.txt

you can try testing sending multiple recipients before you use this mod, at: http://www.calvsa.net/snitz31sr4/

- Alan

KXS

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2001 :  05:25:06  Show Profile  Send KXS an ICQ Message
That's a nice idea, can't wait to implement this one...

------------------
"keeping it real"
Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2001 :  05:31:23  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Works on HuwR's and Richard's Forums. Not sure which PM they are using.

Rick

My Demo Site
www.eastpasco.com
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2001 :  06:24:25  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

Works on HuwR's and Richard's Forums. Not sure which PM they are using.

Rick

My Demo Site
www.eastpasco.com

Hey rick, use this newer privatesend_info.asp page...since along the way of testing this add-on...Richard and I fixed a bug in the private messages MOD.

- Alan
Go to Top of Page

tteal

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2001 :  20:13:42  Show Profile  Visit tteal's Homepage  Send tteal an AOL message  Send tteal an ICQ Message
Anyone possibly added the feature to send a private message to "ALL" members?

Cheers,
Tim

http://www.free-guestbook.com
Go to Top of Page

jlaw

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2001 :  21:17:30  Show Profile  Send jlaw an ICQ Message
Wouldn't it be easier if the Memberlist was checkboxes...you can click on the people you want to send a PM too and then click on a submit button and it would add the people to the send column. Then you could add a select all check box so you could send it to everyone.

Just a though.

Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2001 :  21:30:25  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
quote:

I'd hesitate to make that anything but an administrative option, though.
Imagine a board with 1000 members and one person registers 3x and "spams"
ALL with 5 messages from each Username -
your db instantly grew by 45,000 entries

...I haven't worked with the PM mod yet, but
is there any way to have a "common message"
and tag each account as though a message
were there? -Maybe tie it in with
announcements? Just an idea.

-Kerry

Edited by - kerry on 26 January 2001 21:35:25
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  00:46:05  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

Cheers,
Tim

http://www.free-guestbook.com

Hey Tim, This would be a separate add-on.
I guess this multiple recipients add-on can be stretched to do that
but it's probably more efficient to create a separate add-on for sending pm's to "all" members
since this would be an admin only function.

- Alan

Edited by - aznknight on 27 January 2001 01:01:12
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  00:54:10  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

Wouldn't it be easier if the Memberlist was checkboxes...you can click on the people you want to send a PM too and then click on a submit button and it would add the people to the send column. Then you could add a select all check box so you could send it to everyone.

Just a though.

Hmm I don't think check boxes idea would pan out.
What if you have 1000+ members?
That would correlate to 1000+ checkboxes.
Plus the issue would be forcing the users to hunt for member names next to checkboxes.

- Alan

Edited by - aznknight on 27 January 2001 01:02:12
Go to Top of Page

DewyattStanfield
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2001 :  01:02:56  Show Profile
I have written the functionality to PM all users of the board. I have written this into the files privatesend_info.asp and privatesend.asp. Basically, if you are Admin you have a checkbox that will allow you to send a message to all board users.

Keep in mind this was a quick thing so

• It's Admin only, not moderators (but that could probably be written in)

• It's all or nothing, you can send to all members with this checkbox, or you can use it the way AznKnight has written it to send to multiple users (name, name, name)

• I had to disable the functionality of the e-mailing to users who wanted to be notified of a PM ONLY when the checkbox is checked. In other words, if you send to all members an e-mail will not send to those who want it sent. The lines are easily taken out so that you can enable this, I just ran into a display problem where everyone would get the PM but it would stop showing who it was sent to at the name where they chose to receive e-mail was and would disply the e-mail you were sending them, kind of strange but I didn't have time to look at it.

• Because of the way I put the names from the database into the array, the last name on the list has a comma after it, so in actuality the program thinks it's another name to send to, but will tell you that there was no user with this name of (blank). Eneryone still receives the PM.

• If you still want this code to add to your board even though it's not perfect let me know here and I will post the changes. I may or may not put more time into this because it does what I want it to do now.

Dewyatt

Edited by - dewyattstanfield on 28 January 2001 01:03:25
    Go to Top of Page

jlaw

USA
    120 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2001 :  01:39:30  Show Profile  Send jlaw an ICQ Message
    I see what you mean AznKnight, but there is a little post it note thingy next to each name now. I thought it would be easier if you replace that image with checkboxes, and click all the people you want to send it too, and then click a submit button at the bottom of the page, but that is just my thought. It can stay the way it is.

Also, when you are clicking on name off the memberslist...and you are sending it to more than one person, it would be nice if it placed commas between the names, and if it does I didn't see it, sorry. but it was just a thought.

Go to Top of Page

StockholmStudent

Sweden
    329 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2001 :  08:26:44  Show Profile  Visit StockholmStudent's Homepage  Send StockholmStudent an ICQ Message
    quote:

this is a change to the private messages so that you can send to multiple recipients instead of just only 1 person at a time.

For example, suppose I want to send the same private message to Richard, Gor, and Huwr. I would just put "Richard, Gor, Huwr" in the send To input box and the message would get sent to all 3.

Just copy and past the text to replace privatesend_info.asp from the private messages MOD.

txt file: http://www.calvsa.net/snitz31sr4/privatesend_info.txt

you can try testing sending multiple recipients before you use this mod, at: http://www.calvsa.net/snitz31sr4/

- Alan

I just visited your site.I have some questions:

1) How have you done the automatic letter that comes with the private messages?
    2) How have you done the buddy list!?

cheers
    /CHEETAH
    Go to Top of Page

wii
    Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
    2632 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2001 :  15:33:30  Show Profile
    do you have the code for this for us to use ?

quote:

I have written the functionality to PM all users of the board. I have written this into the files privatesend_info.asp and privatesend.asp. Basically, if you are Admin you have a checkbox that will allow you to send a message to all board users.

Keep in mind this was a quick thing so

• It's Admin only, not moderators (but that could probably be written in)

• It's all or nothing, you can send to all members with this checkbox, or you can use it the way AznKnight has written it to send to multiple users (name, name, name)

• I had to disable the functionality of the e-mailing to users who wanted to be notified of a PM ONLY when the checkbox is checked. In other words, if you send to all members an e-mail will not send to those who want it sent. The lines are easily taken out so that you can enable this, I just ran into a display problem where everyone would get the PM but it would stop showing who it was sent to at the name where they chose to receive e-mail was and would disply the e-mail you were sending them, kind of strange but I didn't have time to look at it.

• Because of the way I put the names from the database into the array, the last name on the list has a comma after it, so in actuality the program thinks it's another name to send to, but will tell you that there was no user with this name of (blank). Eneryone still receives the PM.

• If you still want this code to add to your board even though it's not perfect let me know here and I will post the changes. I may or may not put more time into this because it does what I want it to do now.

Dewyatt

Edited by - dewyattstanfield on 28 January 2001 01:03:25

Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
    DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
    3373 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2001 :  15:55:50  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
    Yes I'd like the code for that also.

Nice addon Aznknight!

----
    Da_Stimulator
    Snitz Forums Dev Team Member
    http://stimmy.cfm-resources.com/forum - my testing forums.
    Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
    1373 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2001 :  16:55:12  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
    hey dewattstanfield,

release your code that sends pm to all members, it'll go well with this mod of sending to multiple recipients. I'll combine the two and release it as a new mod with both of us as authors.

- Alan
    www.iamviet.com
    Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
    Average Member

Canada
    515 Posts

Posted - 20 February 2001 :  22:23:57  Show Profile
    Hey Aznknight ...

I downloaded your privatesend_info.asp and it works great except if I want to Forward a message to multiple recipients I get this error.

error '80020009'
    Exception occurred.

/techcare/forum/privatesend_info.asp, line 286

Is there a fix for this? I was at your site and noticed you do not have any Forward button, so if this Mod does not work with Forwarding, then I'll lose the forward button to maybe. Small sacrifice to pay when you can always just copy and paste the message into a new message and then send to multiple recpients instead of forwarding it

Intrepidone
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Next Page
     New Topic  Topic Locked
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
    This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07