Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)
 MOD: Email List & Message Manager (opt-in / out)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2001 :  17:51:08  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Kerry,

Well that was more work than I thought it would be... but here's what I have:

Two new tables -- very simple. Here is the Script from SQL ENterprise Manager...

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[FORUM_GROUPS] (
[GroupID] [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
[GroupName] [char] (45) NULL ,
[GroupDescription] [char] (90) NULL
) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[FORUM_GROUP_MEMBERS] (
[GROUPID] [int] NOT NULL ,
[MEMBERID] [int] NOT NULL
) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FORUM_GROUPS] WITH NOCHECK ADD
CONSTRAINT [PK_FORUM_GROUPS] PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED
(
[GroupID]
) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FORUM_GROUP_MEMBERS] WITH NOCHECK ADD
CONSTRAINT [PK_FORUM_GROUP_MEMBERS] PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED
(
[GROUPID],
[MEMBERID]
) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

There are 4 asp files involved with the mod: emailist.asp, admin_group_manager.asp, admin_Group_members.asp and post_group_members.asp

emailist.asp is my version of your "version 2" -- emaillist2.asp, with a new combo box that is populated with all the groups in the FORUM_GROUPS table. The group selected here is "ANDed" with your original user group. That way you can create a specific user group and refine it by the last post or if they are a moderator etc. There is also a link called "Manage Groups" which is similar to your "Manage Messages" link - it goes to admin_group_manager.asp (Group Manager) which allows one to create, edit and delete (using pop_delete.asp) groups that are stored in the FORUM_GROUPS table.

Each group listed in the admin_group_manager.asp has a link to another page called the admin_group_members.asp. This is where the administrator assigns forum members to a specific group. I used the post.asp (SR2) as a basis for admin_Group_members.asp, so it will be familiar. post_group_members.asp is a very scaled down version of post_info.asp which is used to update the table and confirm the posting.

It's going to take me at least until tomorrow to "extract" the code out of my modified version of the forum in order to actually post some files. Hopefully, I'll have an asp setup page to create the tables as well.

Bye for now!

Rob

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 22 February 2001 17:53:03
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2001 :  19:58:46  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Kerry,

I've got the files together, BUT... I'd feel better if you take a look at them and give it a thumbs up before other people try to implement them.

Here's the link to the files: E-Mail Manager With Groups

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 22 February 2001 20:00:16

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 22 February 2001 20:01:22
Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2001 :  21:16:50  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Can someone build a Access DB setup for this MOD?

Thanks,

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Running on HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2001 :  17:01:21  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi,

Well, I've never made an ASP script for Access that creates tables automatically, but what I've done is created an Access project that has the two tables that you need. Within that same Access project, I've also created 4 qry's that creates the tables, adds indexes, etc, and a Macro that you can run, that essentially automates the correct order of the queries and does all the work for you. If you're an Access user, you probably know what to do with all this stuff...

I run SNITZ on SQL server, so I have not tested the resultant tables with the ASP/ADO code in the various asp files that I've already posted. I have tested the Macro and it seems to create the tables/fields/indexes correctly.

Click here... to download this zipped mdb file.

Hope this helps...

If any pro Access guy might want to make make a set-up asp file from the above then, I'll look at it later and compare it with my files and be able to figure out what to do for the next time...

Cheers!

Rob

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 26 February 2001 17:02:30

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 26 February 2001 17:03:20
Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2001 :  18:07:15  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
I can't seem to add or remove anyone from the groups.

I'm logged in as Admin but get this message when trying to add.

There has been a problem!

Invalid Password or UserName

Go back to correct the problem.

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Running on HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.

Edited by - rick7165 on 26 February 2001 18:14:53
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2001 :  22:52:33  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Rick,

If you are referring to my enhancement of Kerry's mod it could be that this is cookie related... I'm using sr2 not sr4 as eastpasco forum is. I mentioned this earlier in the thread -- which is why I had hoped that Kerry might take a look at it before others tried to download it.

It works fine on my forum... at what point do you get the error message? Do you get to the group manager? Do you get to the "editgroupmembers" method of that page? Is it when you post the member selection?

I'm going to crash, but I'll look into it tomorrow...

Cheers!

Rob

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2001 :  23:17:34  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Something is strange about it... Can anyone rewrite this mod to work with SR4?

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 27 February 2001 :  08:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Rick,

If you tell me WHERE the problem is occuring I MIGHT be able to help. Authentication is performed in the inc_top.asp. If your problem is posting new members in post_group_member.asp then it might be because of this section (line 54):

if Request.Form("Method_Type") = "EditGroupMembers" then   ' Start here /////////////////////////////////
member = cint(ChkUser(STRdbntUserName, Request.Form("Password")))
Select Case Member

...etc

Line 55 is probably meant to work with the ChkUser function in the inc_functions.asp for my SR2... not your SR4. That's my guess... The Select Case that immediately follows, uses the returned parameter from this function to determine what arguements are sent to the Go Result function inside the post_group_member.asp. If Go Result gets passed a "0" (zero) for it's second parameter, you will get a message like the one you are getting...

Select Case must evaluate to case 4. (member is administrator) If you are using an asp editor like visual InterDev, step through the code or use a "watch" to see what happens. If not, you could try commenting out that entire section and see if it works. (This would be done JUST to determine where the problem is!)

We need a programmer who works with SR4 to fix this -- I think this is a simple problem. Sorry I can't help further. I'd have to set up a whole new installation of an sr4 forum and set up a new SQL Database just to test this. It would be a breeze for someone else to look into it...

Hold on tight, someone will come to the rescue....

Rob

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 27 February 2001 08:24:50
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 27 February 2001 :  08:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Totally off topic, Rick....

How did you supress the default Live Helper Icon on your webpage?

Did you modify any of the arguements relating to the setIcon section?

I sent those guys an email about how to customize the client side and they have yet to respond... (about 1 week now...)

Cheers!

Rob

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 27 February 2001 :  11:25:07  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Rob Let me know what you need...

You have to go setup a account at www.livehelper.com it is free

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 27 February 2001 :  13:09:39  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Since it doesn't relate to the Forum, much less this topic, I'll explain to you by email...

Thanks!

Rob

Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 28 February 2001 :  16:44:30  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
Rob,

Sorry for taking so long to get to this - work's been really tough recently. I'll grab a look at your group mod later tonight and see what I can do to sr4 integrate it

-Kerry

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 28 February 2001 :  22:16:49  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hey Kerry!

Ya... I suspected as much! Dang job is always getting in the way of my Snitz development too!

I'm curious what the sr4 problem is, so when you find it, please post the resolution.

On another note... anyone out there have a well "modified" sr4 forum with all the setup files for SQL server? The eastpasco/HuwR forum is great but the set-up files run on Access. If anyone one knows of a post with a SQL set-up please post-it. I'll appreciate it!

Cheers!

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 02 March 2001 :  06:24:40  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Rob... Contact ctsolutions

He got HuwR's forum running on SQL I Think he had to drop some
MODS to make it work.

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=5455

Hear anything about getting your extra features to work on SR4?

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com

Edited by - rick7165 on 02 March 2001 06:25:42
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 02 March 2001 :  08:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Thanks! (ct solutions), I will...

No, except that Kerry's working on, it...

I don't think the problem is difficult...but Kerry's going to look at it and might consider rewriting so that it uses post,asp instead of my hacked version group_member_post.asp. I took the quick root, and I probably shouldn't have...

I wish there was some developer's Snitz documentation like this:

- If you are building a mod that requires posting to a database please use post.asp. Create a new method(s) for your form and insert them HERE:

(code examples)

When writing ot the database, authenticating your user and posting status to the client, you must use post_info.asp, Create a new method(s) and insert them here:

(code examples)

Anyway, if I can find a reasonably moded sr4 I'm going to take the plunge and update. Thanks again for the info...

BTW, I starting to figure out why you have a mode for Live Helper... thatnks for that one!

Cheers!

Rob

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 02 March 2001 08:29:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07