Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)
 MOD: Email List & Message Manager (opt-in / out)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 14 February 2001 :  18:45:11  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage

quote:

I've got a question: is it possible to send email to a category of members identified by a common title? I mean, if 20 users are titled "old man" and other users are "first level", "second level",etc.. can I send email only to "old man" users?

As it is, nope - I just sorted by Admin, Moderator, User. But adding that would probably be fairly easy.

-Kerry

Go to Top of Page

bugzy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  11:05:01  Show Profile  Visit bugzy's Homepage
MEMO type ?!?
SQL doesnt have MEMO ... anyone know ?
maybe its CHAR ??

Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  12:13:46  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
Bugzy,

I don't know the answer to that one.

Try posting that question in the SQL forum - you'll likely get a faster response.

-Kerry

Go to Top of Page

joswell
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  12:51:26  Show Profile  Visit joswell's Homepage
quote:

MEMO type ?!?
SQL doesnt have MEMO ... anyone know ?
maybe its CHAR ??

Try TEXT or VARCHAR(8000).
Hope this helps.

Edited by - joswell on 15 February 2001 14:16:03
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  13:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi,

I've gone through the whole thread here and I have a basic question about this MOD. I've implemented HuwR's release and I'd like to know if this mod is in addition to HuwR's Mod or essentially replaces HuwR's Mod.

To me, it seems like it replaces it -- and if it does, do I have to figure out how to "undo" the earlier modification before applying the older one?

Or can I just apply the new one?

I really like the new features in this Mod and I'm ready to tackle it regardless of the issues -- I guess I'm just trying understand it enough to minimize pitfalls and development time.

Any insights would be great! Thanks...

Cheers,

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 15 February 2001 13:05:40
Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  13:29:22  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
Rob,

The first thing to find out is which of HuwR's versions you're running. He has two (unless he snuck one in and I missed it ) - the first of which is the only one I'm familiar with.

If it's the first one, check this string:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=4235

If it's v.2, I haven't had the chance to try it out so I can't be of much help there.

-Kerry

-Kerry

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  14:01:03  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
quote:

Rob,

The first thing to find out is which of HuwR's versions you're running. He has two (unless he snuck one in and I missed it ) - the first of which is the only one I'm familiar with.

If it's the first one, check this string:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=4235

If it's v.2, I haven't had the chance to try it out so I can't be of much help there.

-Kerry

-Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Well there's lots in that thread, so I'm assuming you meant the original posting that refers to the http://www.cantonweb.com/HuwR-ized_ALL.zip. file.

I downloaded something called "e_notification.zip"... It has the following lines top part of the mod read me file:

MEMBERS EMAIL NOTIFICATION for
Snitz Forums 2000 V3.0 Final
bugs, suggestions, etc to mvalent@abeditions.com

Please note :
This code is based on the
client email notification
application written by Richard Walker
<rwalker@activeserverpages.com>.
(http://www.aspalliance.com/richardwalker/email/clientemail/)

Files to be changed:
admin_home.asp
pop_profile.asp

New Files:
e_notification.asp
e_sendmessage.asp
e_send_it.asp

Kerry, if you're not familiar with this perhaps someone else is... I'm not sure what topic I downloaded it from, but I'm going to have a look around to see...

Thanks!

Rob

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  14:08:21  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Ok... I found that topic...

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=387&FORUM_ID=25&CAT_ID=17&Topic_Title=Members+Email+Notification&Forum_Title=MOD+Add%2DOn+Forum+%28W%2FCode%29&whichpage=1

Is this yet a different version altogether?

Same question apply here... are they compatable? Do the features overlap/sub-set/super-set? Seems like the new one has more going for it and actually, I'm ready to implement it by "un-moding" the original e-notification mod.

BTW, My base code might be sr2. I've implemented a number of the sr4 mods already. (Made appropriate changes to Cookies etc.) Are there any other issues that I would have to deal with?

Thanks for your help...

Cheers!

Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  14:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
Nope - that one's not mine, so I'd be as lost as you. Good luck with it, though!

-Kerry

Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  14:13:44  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
If what you have is standard SR2 with cookies updated and a few mod's, it should work just fine with some manual tweaking to pop_profile.asp (to allow users to opt out).

*Meaning the one in this thread

-Kerry

Edited by - kerry on 15 February 2001 14:14:16
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  14:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Great Kerry!

I think my plan is to first undo the e_notification mod -- it was simple enough to do.

Then I'll implement yours -- I'm sure it will go smoothly!

By the way, thanks for all your work on this mod -- it will save me a lot of time and I really appreciate that!

Cheers!

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  14:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Oops! One other short question....

If I want to implement the HuwR-ized version (because I want to implement the Random Password Email or the Username Filter MOD), I should use the following file correct?

File:
http://www.cantonweb.com/HuwR-ized_Emaillist_MessageManager.zip

Cheers!

Rob

Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  15:20:20  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
No - the HuwRized version of those files are specific to a pre-modified forum he released. Trying to use those files with an SR2 release probably would not work.

Buuuuut.... they were originally released as stand alones for SR4

Username Filter:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=3912

Random Pass:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=3867

-Kerry

Edited by - kerry on 15 February 2001 22:21:22
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  16:49:24  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Kerry,

It seems to be all working! Tried saving a message, sending a message... everything seemed kewl

Not too many changes required either. I've got mods on everything, so I used the copy/paste approach to get everything done.

Modified your set-up script and changed MEMO to TEXT for SQL 7 (This is the more correct replacement for MS Access MEMO). That worked fine...

Before I start doing my own mods to your mod, I have a question, (and please don't take this the wrong way -- you have an ABSOLUTELY fabulous mod, that I'm very excited about -- and most of all thankful!!!) Have you considered allowing the Administrator to set-up Groups outside the ranking system or # of posts system that you are currently using?

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2001 :  17:31:32  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
So, I'm taking a look at your code and here's what I'd like to do....

Create a table called FORUM_GROUPS -- A Primary field called GROUPID(int), a second field called GROUPNAME(char20).

This table stores the actual group entities only (as defined by the Admin) Example data:

1 GROUP A
2 GROUP B
3 GROUP C etc....

Create a second table called FORUM_GROUP_MEMBERS -- Two Primary fields called GROUPID(int) and MEMBERID(int). Example Data:

1 20
1 37
1 20 etc....

Then in your admin_emaillist.asp file the Select User Groups should be populated with the current options plus all of the GROUPNAMES from the FORUM_GROUPS table. (Actually, it would make some sense to automatically create some default user groups with a database set-up asp file, so that your currently defined member groups are automatically created in the FORUM_GROUPS table.)

In the list view of members, an additional column would be need to display Groups. I would have to create a recordset to join the FORUM_MEMBER with FORUM_GROUPS and FORUM_GROUP_MEMBERS. This would be a bit of work, since using this approach, members could be part of more than one group.

There would also have to be some mechanism to create the actual Group Types (FORUM_GROUPS table -- this is easy) and a way to assign members to one of those Groups -- probably an Admin-only function within the pop-profile.asp page. (Add a combo box populated with the defined FORUM_GROUPS and written in the FORUM_GROUP_MEMBERS table...)

Anyway, I'm I think it would make a great addition and quite frankly I NEED something like this -- which is why I'd be happy to undertake it. That is, unless you're interested in doing something like this -- it's your mod after all.

So...what do you think?

Cheers!

Rob

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07