Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)
 MOD: Email List & Message Manager (opt-in / out)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2001 :  21:43:06  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
While the workload on the server (web) is increased, it's more due to the duration of the running of the script than the "uuumph" it takes to run it.

When sending email, you're limited to sending one message at a time sequentially. If the mail server is slow to respond or busy, the script has to "wait" to send the next message but still continues to 'run'. What can happen is the server may 'give up' on trying to execute the script if it has to wait too long, thus timing-out.

The way to avoid this is to set the timeout in the script so it will continue to try and run, or (better solution) send out smaller batches. -One other option (if you send large amounts of mail from a site) is to use a component that queues the messages and can do the actual 'sending' instead of the script.

Kerry

Go to Top of Page

KXS

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2001 :  02:00:43  Show Profile  Send KXS an ICQ Message
quote:

Updated file available:
This file is not in the zip yet - I'd like a couple of opinions first. This version has paging and should work well with either version posted here.
File:
http://www.cantonweb.com/kerrycode/admin_emaillist2.txt

Edited by - kerry on 29 January 2001 05:16:51

Bro, what is paging exactly do? I guess what I was thinking if this was the same feature as sending a text message on a person's cell phone. I do this with http://www.airsourceweb.com/login.asp. It works awesome. I can send one text message to multiple users, it's a great way to get a message to people who are at work, and can't access email or the phone. I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to, or some other sort of paging. Is it possible to have this system implemented in the this forum...

------------------
"keeping it real"
Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2001 :  02:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
By "paging" I mean that instead of seeing a list of 900 user, you can see 10 per page or 25 or 50 or whatever.

For what it's worth, though, I think it'd work about the same since paging (little beeper / cell phone kind of paging) is email based.

-Kerry

Go to Top of Page

KXS

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2001 :  04:29:05  Show Profile  Send KXS an ICQ Message
ahhhh, that's why that's called paging, I don't know how I missed that, the radation of my monitor must be getting the best of me.

Text messaging is very simular to emails although the difference is you don't need a n internet connection (not a big deal though). I sometimes send out text messages via my modem, some of my buddies only suscribe to text messaging, and not email, where I have both. I totally forgot about the email end of the messenging. Maybe I can incorporate a field that one could enter there cell email, and use this email to send important but short messages, especially since all my buddies have there cells with them 24/7. This would be based on "group/friends" type of forum, may not be a big deal for a larger general group...

Kerry, I wonder if many people here would like this, or maybe someone may consider implementing this with your email mod. Being an admin, you could then choose which email, either the Cell email, normal email or both to send the mass message to. I will try figure out how to set this up, but unfortunately, I'm still new to asp, so I may not be able to figure this one out...

------------------
"keeping it real"

Edited by - KXS on 01 February 2001 04:36:52

Edited by - KXS on 01 February 2001 04:38:00
Go to Top of Page

pinozz

53 Posts

Posted - 02 February 2001 :  19:42:21  Show Profile
is this mod ok for 3.1sr3 too?

Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 04 February 2001 :  12:41:43  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
-I haven't tried it on it, but it should be okay. As with any mod, make a back-up of your files first. If it thrashes it, just restore you old files .

-If you try it, post and let me know how it works out.

-Kerry

Go to Top of Page

kjones

Jamaica
59 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  12:46:51  Show Profile  Visit kjones's Homepage  Send kjones an ICQ Message
Could someone point me in the direction of the most recent updates to this project (.ZIP) file.

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  12:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
See the first post & download the zip listed there - then get the updated admin_emaillist2.txt just below it and rename it "admin_emaillist.asp". Use it instead of the admin_emaillist.asp - it's stable, I just haven't added it to the zip yet.

-Kerry

Go to Top of Page

kjones

Jamaica
59 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  12:58:12  Show Profile  Visit kjones's Homepage  Send kjones an ICQ Message
Thanks alot Kerry.
Go to Top of Page

eernstbmi

Denmark
113 Posts

Posted - 14 February 2001 :  03:48:45  Show Profile  Visit eernstbmi's Homepage  Send eernstbmi an ICQ Message  Send eernstbmi a Yahoo! Message
I like this release a lot. It is just what I was looking for...

But I've a few small requests:
1) The layout of the page is very off the rest of Snitz.
The buttons are too big so they spread over several lines and
it looks clumsy (if you use less than 1024*768). Maybe they should
be replaced by graphical buttons.

2) The form where you enter the message should have a layout much more
like this, using the same color.

Best regards,
Erik P. Ernst
Go to Top of Page

pinozz

53 Posts

Posted - 14 February 2001 :  04:54:12  Show Profile
quote:

-I haven't tried it on it, but it should be okay. As with any mod, make a back-up of your files first. If it thrashes it, just restore you old files .

-If you try it, post and let me know how it works out.

-Kerry

working on 3.1sr3, very nice mod!

I've got a question: is it possible to send email to a category of members identified by a common title? I mean, if 20 users are titled "old man" and other users are "first level", "second level",etc.. can I send email only to "old man" users?

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

bugzy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 14 February 2001 :  12:31:29  Show Profile  Visit bugzy's Homepage
quote:
Setting up user preference table....

ALTER TABLE FORUM_MEMBERS ADD M_RECMAIL smallint DEFAULT 0

0 | Added column M_RECMAIL

Setting up admin table for frequently sent mail....

CREATE TABLE FORUM_SPAM (ID int IDENTITY (1, 1) not null CONSTRAINT primarykey PRIMARY KEY, SUBJECT VARCHAR(255), MESSAGE MEMO, F_SENT VARCHAR(255), ARCHIVE VARCHAR(1) DEFAULT 0)
-2147217900 | [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Column or parameter #3: Cannot find data type MEMO.

whats this error ?

Go to Top of Page

bugzy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 14 February 2001 :  12:41:46  Show Profile  Visit bugzy's Homepage
no MEMO type hmmm
im using SQL 2000 ..

maybe you could just give me the table info i need to create manually with all the type settings etc

Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 14 February 2001 :  18:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
quote:

1) The layout of the page is very off the rest of Snitz.
The buttons are too big so they spread over several lines and
it looks clumsy (if you use less than 1024*768). Maybe they should
be replaced by graphical buttons.

2) The form where you enter the message should have a layout much more
like this, using the same color.

I'll take a look at it (I use 800x600 myself) and see if I can "Snitzify" it better - being one of my fisrt couple of released MODS I was just happy to make it work

-Kerry

Go to Top of Page

Kerry
Average Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 14 February 2001 :  18:42:16  Show Profile  Visit Kerry's Homepage
quote:

maybe you could just give me the table info i need to create manually with all the type settings etc

Sorry, I wasn't able test this on SQL server as I don't have it installed. But below is the Access version of the db changes:

Add to FORUM_MEMBERS:
M_RECMAIL

New table name : FORUM_SPAM
ID
SUBJECT (255)
MESSAGE (MEMO)
F_SENT (255)
ARCHIVE (1) DEFAULT 0

This and the default entries are all in emaillist_setup.asp

-Kerry

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07