Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

evehawk

Australia
65 Posts

Posted - 25 January 2001 :  16:37:05  Show Profile  Send evehawk an ICQ Message
Aznknight,
also at the classifieds.asp screen if i log in as admin, the trash icon (that i suppose for delete cat.) does not do nothing and just take me back to all forum link. I am not sure what it suppose to do ?

everything else work at 1st go

ack just saw the above post. plz disregard this, i think i should go to bed

Edited by - evehawk on 25 January 2001 16:51:15
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 25 January 2001 :  18:50:34  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

On line #94 of classdetail.asp

change:

Posted on <%=rs("date_posted")%><br>

to:

Posted on <% =ChkDate(rs("date_posted")) %><br>

This will show just the date, not the time.

If you want the time also then use this:

Posted on <% =ChkDate(rs("date_posted")) %> at <% =ChkTime(rs("date_posted")) %><br>

Edited by - Richard Kinser on 25 January 2001 16:31:18

Thanks richard, for the fix.

I'm still a bit uncustomed to working with dates as strings used by the forum and this mod was my attempt at it. I actually did this mod originally with normal date format and went back and switched it to datetostr afterwards. I'll fix this in the zip ASAP.

- Alan
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 25 January 2001 :  18:57:44  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

quote:

Happy Chinese New Year!
This is a great little "yahoo" mod!
I'll try to see if I can find some bug

Using your comment about "Yahoo!" as a starting point and my being code illiterate - what would it take to turn this mod into a Yahoo Style Directory Listing?

This mod is excellent but I would also like the ability to place a directory for users to list their websites and other online resources - by category of course.

What would it take to do this to the classifieds mod???

Anyone able to make the conversion?

Thanks!

Richard Hay
Webmaster/Forum Admin
http://AnotherWin95.com
http://AnotherWin95.com/forum
http://AnotherWin95.com/cowboys/

This is not a "Yahoo"-like mod. That would be a totally different mod! Table fields and functionalities would be different.

Only things that i can think of that's similiar robably would be the code that inputs to the database and call database. It also can be similiar in the categories of the ads as compared to links, so If I were to make a snitz yahoo direcoty listing mod, I can recycle the code. Get my drift?

The design goal was for a snitz classifieds not yahoo link directory listing. So it would take alot to make this conversion. My suggestion is to post it up as a DR w/o code and see if anyone wants to create it.
- Alan

Edited by - aznknight on 25 January 2001 19:31:49

Edited by - aznknight on 25 January 2001 19:32:35
Go to Top of Page

anotherwin95

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2001 :  00:05:57  Show Profile  Visit anotherwin95's Homepage  Send anotherwin95 an ICQ Message
Azn,

Thanks for the feedback - I was digging around the code last night just to see if I could figure elements out - I may play with this a little bit and see what happens.

I mean what better way to learn huh?

Richard Hay
Webmaster/Forum Admin
http://AnotherWin95.com
http://AnotherWin95.com/forum
http://AnotherWin95.com/cowboys/
Go to Top of Page

KXS

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2001 :  00:43:43  Show Profile  Send KXS an ICQ Message
Great work Alan, this is awesome, the categories would be an awesome addition to your classifieds, hope to see them in your next version...

------------------
"keeping it real"
Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2001 :  14:16:18  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
I must be missing something... I can add a Idem under a Category: but can't delete it?

My Demo Site
www.eastpasco.com
Go to Top of Page

tteal

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2001 :  19:52:58  Show Profile  Visit tteal's Homepage  Send tteal an AOL message  Send tteal an ICQ Message
Oustanding mod!!!!

Just a few small suggestions:

1. Create email thanking user for placing ad.
2. After user places ads, maybe make it not show ads after "x" amount of days (whatever admin sets).
3. Subcategories (noticed you had that in there already).

4. When viewing the actual ad detail classdetail.asp file, it comes up with an ADO error that it cannot find that recordset....line # 71.
5. Also noticed that in the ads_content, it's not inserting the "NAME" into the name field and I assume you're pulling that from the recordset?

Thanks for all your hard work on this mod!!!

Cheers,
Tim

http://www.free-guestbook.com
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  00:43:45  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

I must be missing something... I can add a Idem under a Category: but can't delete it?

Deletion of ads was not needed since the ads are set to be deleted after a certain number of days...I think I've set default to allow ads to run for 30 days.

On line 88 of classifieds.asp look for this and changed number to the number of days you want it to run.

AdRunLength = 30

- Alan

Maybe a feature to allow only the admin or moderators to delete ads would be a good idea. That way the admin can delete bad ad posts. I'll keep a note of it.

Edited by - aznknight on 27 January 2001 01:00:17
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  00:51:49  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

Oustanding mod!!!!

Just a few small suggestions:

1. Create email thanking user for placing ad.
2. After user places ads, maybe make it not show ads after "x" amount of days (whatever admin sets).
3. Subcategories (noticed you had that in there already).

4. When viewing the actual ad detail classdetail.asp file, it comes up with an ADO error that it cannot find that recordset....line # 71.
5. Also noticed that in the ads_content, it's not inserting the "NAME" into the name field and I assume you're pulling that from the recordset?

Thanks for all your hard work on this mod!!!

Cheers,
Tim

Great suggestions Tim. I'll see if I can add it on next version of this.

1) email ad poster is do-able.
2) ah very good idea about feedback.
3) yeah was thinking of subcategories...but didn't get chance to do it.
4) hmm are you using sql server by any chance? I'm unable to reproduce this bug on access.
5) Are you talking about how i pulled the name of the poster? I did it with inner joins (even an instance of nested inner joins) so that it will be less round-trips to the database. Pretty crafty if I said so myself

Thanks...Glad it's of good use.

- Alan
Go to Top of Page

tteal

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  12:30:14  Show Profile  Visit tteal's Homepage  Send tteal an AOL message  Send tteal an ICQ Message
Alan,
Yes I'm using SQL Server version 7 here. I look forward to seeing the other mods when you get a chance, no rush of course.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Tim

Go to Top of Page

Therion93

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  14:42:47  Show Profile  Send Therion93 an ICQ Message
I am really peeved. 48 hours (almost to the minute) before this topic was posted I spent $50 on a classifieds ad system and I can't get a refund ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Therion93
"Stare Deep Into The Heart Of Darkness...There Is No Good, No Evil - Only Me"

Because Legends Never Die! - Kiss-Forever Community Forum (SR4 W/Mods & Access 2000)
Go to Top of Page

tteal

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  14:56:09  Show Profile  Visit tteal's Homepage  Send tteal an AOL message  Send tteal an ICQ Message
Anyone have any idea why this sql statement in file: classdetail.asp will not work in SQL server?

gsSQL = "Select ADS_CONTENT.ID, Topic_ID, ad_title, content, price, image_url, added_By, city, state, email, date_posted, "
gsSQL = gsSQL & "link, ADS_CATEGORY.id, category_name FROM ADS_CONTENT left join ADS_CATEGORY on ADS_CONTENT.topic_id = ADS_CATEGORY.id WHERE ADS_CONTENT.ID = " & iadID

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Tim

Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  15:01:21  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

Alan,
Yes I'm using SQL Server version 7 here. I look forward to seeing the other mods when you get a chance, no rush of course.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Tim

What was the ADO error that you get with sql 7 on class detail? and was this the only error? I want to make this mod sql 7 compatible.

- Alan
Go to Top of Page

tteal

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  15:05:14  Show Profile  Visit tteal's Homepage  Send tteal an AOL message  Send tteal an ICQ Message
ok got it working on SQL Server, however, not sure you want to use the format that I've used or continue with the inner joins, etc.

iadID = Request.QueryString("ID")

Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
gsSQL = "SELECT * from ads_content WHERE ADS_CONTENT.ID = " & iadID
rs.Open gsSQL, My_Conn

gsSQL1 = "SELECT * from ads_category WHERE id = " & RS("topic_id")
Set rs1 = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs1.Open gsSQL1, My_Conn

I also noticed that you're not checking to see if IadID is empty.. I have added code to mine to see if it's empty, if so send user back to classifieds cause they are doing something they shouldn't be doing :)

Also, might want to check for BOF or EOF if there are no ads, etc.

I will help you with the subcategories if you'd like... not sure if you need help with it but figured I'd at least offer.

P.S. I also added rs.close and rs1.close at the end of the file and set rs/rs1 = nothing to get rid of the object and save resources.

Thanks,
Tim
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2001 :  15:35:24  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
Ah i see, it looks like the sql server 7 didn't like my inner join statement. I thought sql 7 was suppose to be great for that. Maybe it's just uses different syntax in inner joins on sql server.

The reason I use inner joins is because it's only makes one call to database. But if it takes 2 separate calls to the db to get this to work with sql 7 than it's worth it.

Wait just realized something. I used inner joins in other parts of this mod too. That didn't give you problems? Maybe the way to go is to edit my statement with the joins so that it works on sql instead of 2 db calls then. I don't see what's wrong with it offhand? Anyone else know?

side note, I'll add the checks in on next version of this...since it's not necessary because the user gets to the detail page normally by clicking an ad which already has a id. They'll only get it right now if they actually directly type in the classdetail.asp page in the address box.

- Alan

Edited by - aznknight on 27 January 2001 15:39:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07