Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 How do i add more emoticons to my forum database?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wolfcry044
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 24 December 2002 :  23:30:45  Show Profile  Send wolfcry044 a Yahoo! Message
Is there any way to add more emoticons to the forum database? because.. i have the current forums.. and i see no options anywhere that lets me add more emoticons. I would like to add more so that other people can see them in a list.. just like how the default ones are.. could someone tell me how to do this please? I am still kinda new at all this.. so please dont make it too complicating.. unless you have to. Thank you for reading my post and i will be eagerly waiting for a reply.

Wolfcry044

Hamlin
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2386 Posts

Posted - 25 December 2002 :  03:54:55  Show Profile
The SmileManager Plus for Snitz 3.4 mod allows you to add more smiles, and has other new options to boot..may be the easiest way to go
Go to Top of Page

TestMagic

USA
1568 Posts

Posted - 25 December 2002 :  16:00:48  Show Profile  Visit TestMagic's Homepage
You could also edit the files that control your default smilies, which would add them directly to the same place they are now. Doing that would involve modifying the code of three of your Snitz files. Is that an option for you?

Snitz rocks! · Search 2
Go to Top of Page

landi1ma
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2003 :  16:37:28  Show Profile
TestMagic, I would be interested in knowing how to manually add smilies with the Snitz Forum (version 3.4.03). I tried to use the MOD that did this, but it kept conflicting with my Poll Mod. If you could be of any assistance, I would greatly appreciate it. Basically I have the new smilie added into the forum, however, when I post a message with the new smilie, I only see the text I assigned it, not the actual picture. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Go to Top of Page

TestMagic

USA
1568 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2003 :  17:30:56  Show Profile  Visit TestMagic's Homepage
Search terms: How to add smilies to your forum. How do I add smilies to my forum?

First, you can look here to see what my post.asp looks like:

http://www.testmagic.com/forum/post.asp?method=Reply&TOPIC_ID=1714&FORUM_ID=65

It's pretty easy to add more smilies.

You need to upload the smilie, add the smilie code to inc_iconfiles.asp, like this (new code in red):

Const strIconSmileShock = "icon_smile_shock.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileShy = "icon_smile_shy.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileSleepy = "icon_smile_sleepy.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileTongue = "icon_smile_tongue.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileWink = "icon_smile_wink.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileSpidey = "icon_smile_spidey.gif|15|23"
Const strIconSmileTM = "icon_smile_tm.gif|16|16"
Const strIconSmileCrazy = "icon_smile_crazy.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileYuck = "icon_smile_yuck.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileDance = "icon_smile_dance.gif|22|21"
Const strIconSort = "icon_sort.gif|24|24"
Const strIconStarBlue = "icon_star_blue.gif|16|15"
Const strIconStarBronze = "icon_star_bronze.gif|16|15"

The numbers at the end are the dimensions of your new smilies.

<edit>Notice how each new smilie has a unique name, such as "Crazy", "Yuck", or "Dance".</edit>

And then you need to add it to your smilie menu, like this:

<edit>The name of this file is inc_smilies.asp.</edit>

"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[:X]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileKisses,"Kisses [:X]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[^]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileApprove,"Approve [^]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[V]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileDisapprove,"Disapprove [V]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[?]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileQuestion,"Question [?]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                        </tr>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                        <tr align=""center"" valign=""middle"">" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[tm]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileTM,"TestMagic [tm]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[spidey]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileSpidey,"Spidey [spidey]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[crazy]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileCrazy,"Crazy [crazy]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[yuck]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileYuck,"Yuck!! [yuck]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                      </table>" & vbNewLine

<edit>Be sure to use your new smilie names in the right places.</edit>

You need to change inc_func_common.asp, like this:

fString = replace(fString, "[V]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileDisapprove,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[v]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileDisapprove,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[:X]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileKisses,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[:x]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileKisses,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[spidey]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileSpidey,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[tm]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileTM,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[crazy]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileCrazy,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[yuck]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileYuck,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[dance]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileDance,"","align=""middle"""))	Smile = fString

<edit>Again, make sure you don't make any mistakes in your new smilie names.</edit>

That's all there is to it, but it's possible I may have forgotten something.

Snitz rocks! · Search 2

Edited by - TestMagic on 11 February 2003 03:58:57
Go to Top of Page

mama2000

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2003 :  18:20:07  Show Profile  Visit mama2000's Homepage
Thanks so much testmagic! This was exactly the information I was looking for to change my default smilies. Now that I know I can do it(I did it) I can also add a couple when I feel like playing around some more!

:)
Kelly

http://atruckerswife.com/community/
Go to Top of Page

75 Posts

Posted - 11 July 2003 :  19:14:02  Show Profile
HI, this looks like what I would like to do to my board, but i've got a question......

The red parts that you've added,

What's the |15|23 all about? Is that the image size or something?

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by TestMagic

Search terms: How to add smilies to your forum. How do I add smilies to my forum?

First, you can look here to see what my post.asp looks like:

http://www.testmagic.com/forum/post.asp?method=Reply&TOPIC_ID=1714&FORUM_ID=65

It's pretty easy to add more smilies.

You need to upload the smilie, add the smilie code to inc_iconfiles.asp, like this (new code in red):

Const strIconSmileShock = "icon_smile_shock.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileShy = "icon_smile_shy.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileSleepy = "icon_smile_sleepy.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileTongue = "icon_smile_tongue.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileWink = "icon_smile_wink.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileTM = "icon_smile_tm.gif|16|16"
Const strIconSmileCrazy = "icon_smile_crazy.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileYuck = "icon_smile_yuck.gif|15|15"
Const strIconSmileDance = "icon_smile_dance.gif|22|21"
Const strIconSort = "icon_sort.gif|24|24"
Const strIconStarBlue = "icon_star_blue.gif|16|15"
Const strIconStarBronze = "icon_star_bronze.gif|16|15"

The numbers at the end are the dimensions of your new smilies.

<edit>Notice how each new smilie has a unique name, such as "Crazy", "Yuck", or "Dance".</edit>

And then you need to add it to your smilie menu, like this:

<edit>The name of this file is inc_smilies.asp.</edit>

"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[:X]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileKisses,"Kisses [:X]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[^]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileApprove,"Approve [^]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[V]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileDisapprove,"Disapprove [V]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[?]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileQuestion,"Question [?]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                        <tr align=""center"" valign=""middle"">" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[tm]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileTM,"TestMagic [tm]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[spidey]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileSpidey,"Spidey [spidey]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[crazy]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileCrazy,"Crazy [crazy]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('[yuck]')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileYuck,"Yuck!! [yuck]","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _

<edit>Be sure to use your new smilie names in the right places.</edit>

You need to change inc_func_common.asp, like this:

fString = replace(fString, "[V]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileDisapprove,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[v]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileDisapprove,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[:X]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileKisses,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[:x]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileKisses,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[spidey]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileSpidey,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[tm]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileTM,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[crazy]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileCrazy,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[yuck]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileYuck,"","align=""middle"""))
	fString = replace(fString, "[dance]", getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileDance,"","align=""middle"""))	Smile = fString

<edit>Again, make sure you don't make any mistakes in your new smilie names.</edit>

That's all there is to it, but it's possible I may have forgotten something.

Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 11 July 2003 :  19:27:07  Show Profile
that's the image dimensions, yes.

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

TestMagic

USA
1568 Posts

Posted - 11 July 2003 :  19:27:25  Show Profile  Visit TestMagic's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by 123456

HI, this looks like what I would like to do to my board, but i've got a question......

The red parts that you've added,

What's the |15|23 all about? Is that the image size or something?

Thanks
Those are the dimensions of the image in pixels--whatever numbers appear there will determine the size of the image that appears in the browser. In other words, if your image is really 30x30, but you leave the dimensions at 15x15, the 30x30 image will be squished into a 15x15 box.

Make sense?

Snitz rocks! · Search 2
Go to Top of Page

marckmcgill

Italy
134 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2003 :  09:06:21  Show Profile
I need to revive this topic, hoping someone's still reading it.

How are the new smilies placed on the webpage? Apparently the default ones are put into the cells of an invisible table. Right? If some new ones of a different size are added, would the old table appear messed up?
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2003 :  10:25:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by marckmcgill

I need to revive this topic, hoping someone's still reading it.

How are the new smilies placed on the webpage? Apparently the default ones are put into the cells of an invisible table. Right? If some new ones of a different size are added, would the old table appear messed up?

The smilies are added to the table beside the post message box ( the one beside where you post a message) they are not invisible.
this is the table that is displayed

"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileKisses,"Kisses ","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileApprove,"Approve ","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileDisapprove,"Disapprove ","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _
		"                          <td><a href=""Javascript:insertsmilie('')"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strIconSmileQuestion,"Question ","") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _

A different size would mess up the look of the table as it is now ( depends on how much of a change I guess)
The Smilies Manager Plus mod deals with sizes somewhat. It's a nice mod.
Hope this helps

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07