Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dan03
Starting Member

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2001 :  05:49:13  Show Profile  Send Dan03 an AOL message  Send Dan03 an ICQ Message
Yes, that did appear to work. Thanks a bunch

Now, I'm going to write a script that copies all tables in database, using a prefix that is specified. Maybe someone else has the same problem I had...

- Dan.

gwhit
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2001 :  11:16:07  Show Profile

<%
on error resume next
Response.Buffer = true

'#################################################################################
'## SELECT YOUR DATABASE CONNECTION TYPE (access, sqlserver or mysql)
'#################################################################################

strNEW_TABLE_PREFIX = "FORUM_"'Table we are copying'sPrefix
strOLD_TABLE_PREFIX = "NEW_"'NEW Table Prefix
'#############################################3
'Change strTables to a list of table names minus the prefix. ie in standard snitz install prefix will be FORUM_
'so you would look at FORUM_MEMBERS and just add MEMBERS. and seperate each name by a comma(,)
strTables = "ALLOWED_MEMBERS,anc,anc_comments,AVATAR,AVATAR2,BOOKMARKS,CATEGORY,COMPLAINTS,CONFIG,email_config,EVENTS,Events_Members,FORUM,MEMBERFIELDS,MEMBERS,MODERATOR,MODS,ONLINE,PM,POLL,REPLY,smile_cat,smiles,TOPICS,TOTALS,USERFIELDS,USERFILES,VOTELOG"
'## Make sure to uncomment one of the strConnString lines!
'strConnString = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=c:\inetpub\dbroot\snitz_forums_2000.mdb" '## MS Access 97
'strConnString = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("tools/snitz2000.mdb") '## MS Access 97 using virtual path
'strConnString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("tools/snitz2000.mdb") '## MS Access 2000 using virtual path
'strConnString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\residential\eastpasco_com\fpdb\eastpasco_com.mdb;" '## MS Access 2000
'strConnString = "driver={SQL Server};server=SERVER_NAME;uid=SQL_USER;pwd=PARRWORD;database=DATABASE_NAME"" '## MS SQL Server 7
'strConnString = "driver=MySQL;server=SERVER_NAME;uid=MYSQL_USER;pwd=PARRWORD;database=DATABASE_NAME" '## MySQL
set my_Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
my_Conn.Open strConnString
strNewID = "DEV"
AryTables = Split(strTables, ",", -1, 1)
For Each Table in AryTables
If Table <> "" THEN
SQL = "select * into " & strNewID & "_" & Table & " from MULTI_" & Table
SQL = "SELECT * INTO "& strNEW_TABLE_PREFIX & Table & " FROM " strOLD_TABLE_PREFIX & Table
Response.Write "NEW TALBE " & strNEW_TABLE_PREFIX & Table & " Created from " & strOLD_TABLE_PREFIX & Table
my_Conn.Execute (SQL)
END IF
NEXT
my_Conn.Close
set my_Conn = nothing
%>

Edited by - gwhit on 19 May 2001 11:17:21
Go to Top of Page

Dan03
Starting Member

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2001 :  20:56:48  Show Profile  Send Dan03 an AOL message  Send Dan03 an ICQ Message
Fine then Be like that...
Go to Top of Page

Dan03
Starting Member

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2001 :  21:05:46  Show Profile  Send Dan03 an AOL message  Send Dan03 an ICQ Message
Actually, the problem with that script is that the tables have to be listed within the script. Mine won't...if I ever get around to doing it.....

- Dan.

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2001 :  00:41:57  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
quote:

dayve, what master of pupets is trying to say (or at least i think) is that if you have two forums wanting only the same config, or only the same members, or even only the same posts!, then you just configure all the admin_###.asp files to point to the same database, so that they get the same information. i did what master of pupets did. i wanted the same forum, but different config (different graphics and colours) but the same information and members.

http://apmessageboard.cjb.net

and

http://www.poc-network.com

it took me a while to do, but it's not that difficult.

-Matti

I thought I had to edit, or make a copy of tables too? that would make sense for the color config...

Dayve
Go to Top of Page

barky81

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2001 :  16:37:01  Show Profile
THANKS! This solved the problem I asked for help on here.

To expand the answer a little bit more, I loaded up a freeware asp db table editor TableEditoR which allowed me to run the described sql statements (here they are for the base installation):

select * into [new_FORUM_ALLOWED_MEMBERS] from [FORUM_ALLOWED_MEMBERS]
    select * into [new_FORUM_CATEGORY] from [FORUM_CATEGORY]
    select * into [new_FORUM_CONFIG] from [FORUM_CONFIG]
    select * into [new_FORUM_FORUM] from [FORUM_FORUM]
    select * into [new_FORUM_MEMBERS] from [FORUM_MEMBERS]
    select * into [new_FORUM_MODERATOR] from [FORUM_MODERATOR]
    select * into [new_FORUM_REPLY] from [FORUM_REPLY]
    select * into [new_FORUM_TOPICS] from [FORUM_TOPICS]
    select * into [new_FORUM_TOTALS] from [FORUM_TOTALS]

Just sub whatever you want for your new table prefix....

Only caveat, I spent a whole lot more time figuring out how to get TableEditoR to work with my database through a physical path than I did actually making the changes, so if you have problems, let me know...

quote:

Try this it works on access2000 db not sure but it should also work on SQL. Mysql I have no clue if this works.
'******************************************
select * into [new_table] from [old_table}
'******************************************

Edited by - gwhit on 18 May 2001 21:05:30

Edited by - gwhit on 18 May 2001 21:07:24

Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2001 :  18:24:44  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
I use TableEditor too and it is a great utility.

Dayve
Go to Top of Page

stephenholland
Starting Member

Netherlands
9 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2001 :  05:23:20  Show Profile
Dear fellow members

I want to make a kind of community where people can communicate, find information, do transactions, follow education and (like Snitz) produce togheter. I want to use snitz for this community with different forums. I want to make a hompage were you can choose to go to a forum who is based on a Library, a forum based a meetingpoint, a forum based on a school, a forum based on a developer group, etc. Every forum must have its own possibilities, but with the same members. I read that you can do this by copying every file and almost every database table and give it a new name (forum2-, forum3-, etc). I was wondering if their is for my case a better way. Because I want to use the forum of www.eastpasco.com the database of this forum is already very big. And I am thinking to use at least 8 different forums.
Also I want to ask if anybody have an idea how to make from the forum a kind of meetingpoint.
I will explane:
The meetingpoint that i want to make is a kind of chatroom, with many possibilities to have a good professional meeting. For example a developer has made an apportment in the meetingpoint with an other developer on 10 june at 11 pm. One of them is a sort of meeting leader who makes a new topic with information about the meeting so that other people can join the meetinggroup. On 10 june at 11 pm the meeting is open and there appears in the map of the topic a link to a chatroom (meetingroom). Clicking of this link will direct them to the chatroom. Every meeting has a start time and a finish time. For example when the meeting leader has sad that the meeting ends on 10 june at 12 pm, automaticaly on that time the meeting stops.
If somebody have a kind of idea how to make this let me know! If somebody in The Netherlands want to help to make the first really (efficent) good business to business community let me also know. Maybe we can do togheter good business. So when you want to help to make a commercial standard business to business community, please e-mail me at: stephenbouman@hotmail.com

[quote]
Ehm...it might be that I didn't read this topic good enough, but you don't need a mod to have more than one forum use the same users...it is supported in the plain forum code.
Just create a new set of tables using i.e. FORUM2_ as prefix.
Do that for all tables except the FORUM_MEMBERS table.

Then in one config.asp set the strTablePrefix to FORUM2_ and in the other leave it to FORUM_ and make sure both forums have strMemberTablePrefix set to FORUM_

that is all there is to it...

Pierre
Join the Snitz WebRing
[/quote

Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2001 :  05:39:15  Show Profile
quote:

Dear fellow members

I want to make a kind of community where people can communicate, find information, do transactions, follow education and (like Snitz) produce togheter. I want to use snitz for this community with different forums. I want to make a hompage were you can choose to go to a forum who is based on a Library, a forum based a meetingpoint, a forum based on a school, a forum based on a developer group, etc. Every forum must have its own possibilities, but with the same members. I read that you can do this by copying every file and almost every database table and give it a new name (forum2-, forum3-, etc). I was wondering if their is for my case a better way. Because I want to use the forum of www.eastpasco.com the database of this forum is already very big. And I am thinking to use at least 8 different forums.
Also I want to ask if anybody have an idea how to make from the forum a kind of meetingpoint.
I will explane:
The meetingpoint that i want to make is a kind of chatroom, with many possibilities to have a good professional meeting. For example a developer has made an apportment in the meetingpoint with an other developer on 10 june at 11 pm. One of them is a sort of meeting leader who makes a new topic with information about the meeting so that other people can join the meetinggroup. On 10 june at 11 pm the meeting is open and there appears in the map of the topic a link to a chatroom (meetingroom). Clicking of this link will direct them to the chatroom. Every meeting has a start time and a finish time. For example when the meeting leader has sad that the meeting ends on 10 june at 12 pm, automaticaly on that time the meeting stops.
If somebody have a kind of idea how to make this let me know! If somebody in The Netherlands want to help to make the first really (efficent) good business to business community let me also know. Maybe we can do togheter good business. So when you want to help to make a commercial standard business to business community, please e-mail me at: stephenbouman@hotmail.com

[quote]
Ehm...it might be that I didn't read this topic good enough, but you don't need a mod to have more than one forum use the same users...it is supported in the plain forum code.
Just create a new set of tables using i.e. FORUM2_ as prefix.
Do that for all tables except the FORUM_MEMBERS table.

Then in one config.asp set the strTablePrefix to FORUM2_ and in the other leave it to FORUM_ and make sure both forums have strMemberTablePrefix set to FORUM_

that is all there is to it...

Pierre
Join the Snitz WebRing
[/quote

Well, I´ve brought up the topic before...but here we go again...

The essence of what you are wanting to do + many other things is a in depth change of the whole Snitz security/membersystem...what
you want to create this is: Usergroups. A membersystem that has unlimited usergroups on a 5-6 or more branch deep categories + admin and moderatorlevels for each category level.

This is a very comprehensive change to the original Snitzcode, but there has been talk about this being the next major issue after Multilanguage SR3 - but lets see...Maybe you should go check out ASP.NET based opensourceproject www.ibuyspy.com and work with that platform? - or maybe if you´re willing to switch to PHP go check out www.typo3.com....they have the usergroupsystem implemented from their birth.

- any other opinions on this? - plans for usergroups?

mph73

Morpheus73 - morpheus73@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07