Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)
 Snitz CSS with Theme Changer Finally! - Updated!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

robbear7

106 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2002 :  14:58:25  Show Profile  Visit robbear7's Homepage  Send robbear7 an AOL message  Send robbear7 an ICQ Message  Send robbear7 a Yahoo! Message
****Begin Update - November 26th 2003****
I have updated the download link using the SnitzBlitz server. Enjoy, and happy thanksgiving!
Make sure you spend the thanksgiving with a loved one.. it is so very important.
Signing out for now
****End update****

****Begin Update - May 10th 2003****
I have updated the download links with the correct domain. Please be aware though that the CSS project is out of date with the current version of Snitz. Our CSS converted Snitz is version 3.4.02, while the current version of Snitz is 3.4.03.
****End update****

Hello everyone,

I would like to let you know that the Snitz CSS with Style MOD is now available for download.

Authors:
robbear7 (CSS conversion, external style sheet)
serevinus (Dynamic style sheet, Admin control panel, style changer)

Information:
This MOD is actually an entire version of Snitz 3.4.02 smartly converted to CSS. At the time of conversion, half a MB of Font tags were removed. Every bit of Snitz code was converted.

This is a clean version of Snitz, meaning if you have any mods, you will need to re-install these mods.

There are actually 2 versions of Snitz CSS.
1. Snitz CSS with Serevinus's Style Changer MOD
This version includes an updated color control panel that writes to a dynamic style sheet, which in turns styles the forum. There are more options available then the standard Snitz color panel. You can set specific background images on any and all portions of the forum, and specify the background image to tile, repeat across, repeat down, or no repeat.

You can also style the form elements through the color control panel.

You can create your own forum themes for your visitors to choose from. Each theme can be set to look in a specific directory for images.

You can import/export themes easily.

The database is already created and the default username/password is admin/admin. You will NEED to change this immediately.

As a note, all MODS should work well with this version, there should be no compatibility problems with MODS and the colors etc. The key word is 'Should'.

Important: this version is NOT compatible with Brinkster accounts. This is because of the dynamic style sheet used. If you are on a brinkster account, consider the version listed below.

2. Snitz CSS with no dynamic control panel
This version is a more simple version. You cannot set themes. This is simply the same CSS converted Snitz Forum using an external style sheet. The style sheet is fully commented to help you edit the colors.

Unfortunately, the default colors control panel still exists, but will have no effect on your forum. Just simply leave the fields blank and it will be just fine. If you plan on installing MODS, you can input the same colors to match the CSS colors.

Installation will be standard Snitz installation. You will need to run setup.asp, etc.

In conclusion:
There is more we wanted to do, but unfortunately, time has not permitted us to do so. As I mentioned before, the version is 3.4.02. If you would like to manually update the version to 3.4.03, feel free, I'll help with any questions that may need to be answered.

Demo:
A demo of the Snitz CSS with Style MOD can be found here:
No Demo available at this time
http://www.robbear7.com/designer/testforum/
You can access the admin panel by using admin/admin for the username/password.

Download:
To download the Snitz CSS with Style MOD go here:
http://www.snitzbitz.com/mods/details.asp?Version=All&mid=158

To download the brinkster compatible simpler version without the style MOD, go here:
http://www.snitzbitz.com/mods/details.asp?Version=All&mid=158

http://www.r7designer.com
Free Dreamweaver Templates and loads of help for CSS, XHTML and Web Standards.

Edited by - robbear7 on 26 November 2003 09:06:49

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2002 :  15:29:47  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
Not much I can add to that
I just thought I would give you a little more info about the Import/Export feature

Administrators have an option on the style setup page that will let them "export" a theme, it will generate the contents of 2 text files (the theme itself, and an html help file to guide you through importing) which you will then need to save and zip along with any images, its very easy...
You can then upload the zip to your site, and post a link on snitz forums (preferably in the "Graphics and Style in Snitz!" forum) for other people to download and use

I added this feature so people can create styles and share them with other people, I have seen several requests for this so I went ahead and added it :)

If anyone has any questions or ideas (or if you find a bug) just let us know by posting a reply on robs support forum, and we will deal with them when we have time
Go to Top of Page

Fury

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 09 November 2002 :  22:46:39  Show Profile
Very nice work.
Go to Top of Page

crash
Advanced Member

Netherlands
2064 Posts

Posted - 10 November 2002 :  18:52:44  Show Profile  Visit crash's Homepage
looks great guys! excelent job! hats off to you!

cHosting.nl
Go to Top of Page

pknaz

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 11 November 2002 :  05:34:10  Show Profile  Visit pknaz's Homepage  Send pknaz an AOL message  Send pknaz an ICQ Message  Send pknaz a Yahoo! Message
Wow, this is very impressive. very impressive indeed. I have several mods installed already, but I'm seriously thinking about downloading this and using it. Thanks for the hard work (and i know it was hard!!) :)
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 11 November 2002 :  08:08:41  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
Thanks guys (and gals) we appreciate the support

I would just like to point out that there is currently no way to update your existing database to work with this updated version of snitz. I am currently working on a script to update your old database to this new version, this should be available within a few days if all goes well
Another thing to note (this will only apply to people with a current forum), You will need to update your current database to 3.4.02 (not 3.4.03)

If you have any queries, ideas, or bug reports, you can post on "The Official Snitz CSS Forum"
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 11 November 2002 :  09:24:15  Show Profile
The effort to convert the forum to use stylesheets is hard work. So good work I will say.

I have converted 3.4.03 to use CSS and also be HTML 4.01 compliant. As you did with 3.4.02, I also removed all <font...></font> tags manually from all files. Corrected the nesting of tags and removed the non complying properties and attributes from the HTML Tags. Most of the pages (almost all) including admin section pages pass the HTML 4.01 and CSS test at W3C without any errors or warnings.

However, I am just wondering about the method you are using to create additional stylesheets.

I have created a base stylesheet and whenever I want to create a new style I just open the base style sheet in Visual Inter Dev and change the colors etc. (It can also be done by opening the css file as text file or via using other programs.). Mostly it requires changing the colors. It takes about 15-20 Minutes and forum is all new looks.

Once finished making changes, I save the base stylesheet with a new name or in a new folder and refer to it via <link tag in the inc_header.asp. Stylesheets can be changed dynamically as well.

There are two more stylesheets which I use along with the base stylesheet. Both these are common and requires no chnages.

One of them is for general settings like font sizes, column widths, borders etc. All HTMLtags/classes within this stylesheet are independent of font or background colors.

Second is to deal with forumcode tags.

Anyway back to my wondering, Won't it be easy to modify the stylesheet directly.

For the Import/Export - To share the new stylesheets among others just zip it up with icons and images specific to the stylesheet and it will just need the uplaoding the new theme folder to the server...

CSS and HTML4.01 Compilant Snitz Forum . ForumSquare . Rakesh Jain

It is difficult to IMPROVE on Perfection, There is no harm in Keep Trying.

Prayer Of Forgiveness
"I forgive all living beings. May all living beings forgive me!
I cherish the friendliness towards all and harbour enmity towards none." -- Aavashyaka Sutra(Translated)
Go to Top of Page

pknaz

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 11 November 2002 :  09:36:08  Show Profile  Visit pknaz's Homepage  Send pknaz an AOL message  Send pknaz an ICQ Message  Send pknaz a Yahoo! Message
Ok, first questions, i'm currently using a 3.4.03 database, can i revert back? and why is there a difference? has all the security updates been applied already or do we need to go through and update the files to 3.4.03?
I've downloaded it and started playing with it, i might answer my own questions in a few hours (at work right now) but for the benefit of others i'm asking them anyway.

Looks pretty nifty so far.
Go to Top of Page

robbear7

106 Posts

Posted - 11 November 2002 :  13:10:07  Show Profile  Visit robbear7's Homepage  Send robbear7 an AOL message  Send robbear7 an ICQ Message  Send robbear7 a Yahoo! Message
GauravBhabu,

quote:
However, I am just wondering about the method you are using to create additional stylesheets.

Technically there is only one style sheet. We have created a file called "css_generator.asp". This style sheet/asp page calls for the values stored in the db created from the color configuration panel. To sum it up the best I can, css_generator.asp calls the values from the db instead of the <font> tags and other misc. html tags.

The export function creates a bit of code that can be pasted in a text box for the import function on a seperate board. This code simply adds the values to a DB. Below is an example of the export code:
Default|Robbie Edwards|http://www.robbear7.com/designer
|R7 Designer|#FFFFFF|#0000FF|underline| |#F5F5F5|#F5F5F5|#191970|#00008B|underline|#0000FF|underline|#FF0000
|underline|#FF0000|underline|Verdana|2|#191970|#191970|#FFFFFF|#191970|3
|#6A5ACD|#FFFFFF|1|#FF0000|underline|#DCDCDC|#9FAFDF|#000000|#00008B|underline
|#FFFF00|100|1|100%|0|#FF0000|underline|#000000|#FF0000|default/|logo_snitz_forums_2000_trans.gif
| | | | | | |no-repeat|no-repeat|no-repeat|no-repeat|no-repeat|no-repeat|no-repeat| 
79d10155ee784a26660774a19623753081a2d2171301160be5957ec418da867c

This will basicly save someone else the time of entering in the changes by hand.

Also, remember, there is a 2nd version that does not use the css_generator.asp. It simply uses on external style sheet that would needed to be edited by hand. With this version you could indeed share styles by zipping up the style sheet and related icons.

pknaz,

quote:
Ok, first questions, i'm currently using a 3.4.03 database, can i revert back? and why is there a difference? has all the security updates been applied already or do we need to go through and update the files to 3.4.03?

To my knowledge, the db is the same from version 3.4.02 to 3.4.03. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me.

When the conversion process took place, a standard 3.4.02 version was used. We actually finished the admin panel right about the same time 3.4.03 was released. Unfortunately for us we have not had time to manually make the updates. None of the security updates have been applied. Rather then just sit on this project waiting for the time to manually update to 3.4.03, we decided to release it as is. If you are interested in undertaking this project, and would be willing to share the changes (this goes for anyone), please let us know

Also, just one last comment, we are looking for a user who is using Snitz with a MSSQL connection to help with some small testing with the DB update script serevinus is working on. If this is you and you would like to help, let us know at http://www.robbear7.com/designer/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=17 .

Edited by - robbear7 on 11 November 2002 13:37:22
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 11 November 2002 :  14:09:28  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
I did have a look at the .03 database and there is at least one minor change that I can see... there is an extra table prfix which you can configure in config.asp (this might be the only change, I have only had a brief look)
If anyone has a clean copy of the .02 and .03 databases, I would welcome you checking for any changes that might of been made, if you do check for me then you will need to compare the values in the forum_config_new table as well as whether the database contains the same fields
I am currently at College so I cant really check for updates here (my lecturer might take it the wrong way lol)
Go to Top of Page

ZeroAvengerX
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2002 :  00:54:08  Show Profile  Visit ZeroAvengerX's Homepage  Send ZeroAvengerX an AOL message  Send ZeroAvengerX a Yahoo! Message
the CSS thing looks SWEET! and i REALLY wanna get it! but i am using .03, and i am a n00b and dont know how to convert, i also dont wanna loose my mods if i cant convert it right the 1st time, so if you plan on making a .03 release that would be awesome
Go to Top of Page

robbear7

106 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2002 :  20:03:10  Show Profile  Visit robbear7's Homepage  Send robbear7 an AOL message  Send robbear7 an ICQ Message  Send robbear7 a Yahoo! Message
Zero,

Unfortunately you would have to re-install all of your MODS if you were to use the CSS Snitz. Snitz CSS is based off of a clean install, and every file (not the database) needs to be replaced for the CSS to be implemented.

We are working on a db updating script that will allow you to just update the database without losing your posts, and MOD settings etc.

Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 18 November 2002 :  12:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
The update is almost complete, I will try and have it released by tomorrow if I can
Then I will investigate applying all the security updates since 3.4.02
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 19 November 2002 :  22:35:46  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
Sorry, took a little longer than I expected

The script to update your old database to a version that will work with Snitz CSS is now complete
It may have a few bugs in it so I STRONGLY recommend that you either make a copy of (or make a dump of) your current databse

Download the update here... http://www.quicksilverwd.net/downloads/snitzcssupdater.zip
You will need Snitz CSS as well... http://www.robbear7.com/designer/download/snitzcss_stylemod.zip

I will ask Rob to add the update script to the main forum zip :)

If you have any queries just ask
Go to Top of Page

terryp

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 20 November 2002 :  05:28:16  Show Profile  Visit terryp's Homepage
Hi Serevinus, I figured I'd give it a go with 3.4.03 but can't get past the set up page, this is the error : Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0401'

Expected end of statement

/forum/css_setup.asp, line 212
Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0401'

Expected end of statement

/forum/css_setup.asp, line 212

INSERT INTO " & strTablePrefix & "STYLES (StyleName, Author, AuthorsUrl, Copyright, strPageBGColor

Is pointing to the " &

I don't know whether that's relative to the version or not but maybe you will?

Edited by - terryp on 20 November 2002 05:30:23
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 20 November 2002 :  09:51:37  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
Sorry, I added those lines to the script after I had tested it :/
Fixed files have been uploaded

Terry, how many times have you run the update script? just once I hope, or you will "probably" have several instances of the default theme (next thing I add will be a fix for that)
Anyway, you (and anyone else who did this install before I posted this reply) will need to use the folowing setup file (this is just to prevent the actions that have worked from running again)
http://www.quicksilverwd.net/downloads/partialupdater.zip
If you find that you have more than one default theme after setup is complete I will make a little script to help you remove the duplicates

Again, I am really sorry about messing that up
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07