POST WITHOUT REGISTER?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frogstar.com
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2002 :  14:00:13  Show Profile  Visit frogstar.com's Homepage  Send frogstar.com an ICQ Message
I am looking for a mod that allows anybody to post. I would have expected this to be popular, but unless I am using the wrong terms when I search, it appears to NOT be popular at all.

Can anyone guide me to the right place to look?

Jeff Goebel.

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2002 :  14:14:24  Show Profile
It totally goes against how this forum was written, so why would you think it would be popular? Allowing Anonymous posters is not a very smart thing to do.
Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell
Access 2000 Support Moderator

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2002 :  14:22:03  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
There is an anonymous post mod for v3.3.x, but it hasn't been updated for v3.4 and considering the amount of work that was required for 3.3.x, the updated version maybe quite aways away.

Like Richard said, it's not popular because it goes against the basic philosophy of forums(anonymous is more for guestbooks), and it also opens you up for a whole lotta legal problems as you are liable for all posts made on your site and you would need to know who made posts when to cover yourselves. Plan on implementing that VERY carefully....

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak
Go to Top of Page

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2002 :  14:23:10  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
There are a number of Snitz sites that do this.

One way is to have anonymous posts funnel thru one account (called Anonymous or whatever).

A moderator could check each post and then approve the ones that are suitable.

http://www.satinslippers.com/forums/ does this.

Another way would be for them to enter a name and email. This is ok except it would be easy to spoof the information.

Here is a non-Snitz site that does this:

http://forums.porkchup.com/

Hope this helps,

--Aaron

DOWNLOAD GREAT NEW MODS HERE
Go to Top of Page

frogstar.com
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2002 :  16:53:14  Show Profile  Visit frogstar.com's Homepage  Send frogstar.com an ICQ Message
Ok, I understand unregistered users may be a danger in some cases, the reason I want this function is that I want to use the forums within a private pre-passworded site already. Only validated people would get there, and I don't want them to have to re-register all over again.

Maybe a mod that could send the forums the user details with a cookie, so I can sort of register them. Could I forge cookies?

Edited by - frogstar.com on 23 August 2002 16:54:09
Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell
Access 2000 Support Moderator

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2002 :  22:15:32  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
Just take the member information you already have and register them automatically. And if you use the website wide cookies, you should be able to use them throughout the site...

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07