Passwords are stored in plain text
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maarten
Starting Member

Netherlands
22 Posts

Posted - 14 August 2002 :  10:22:40  Show Profile  Visit Maarten's Homepage  Send Maarten an ICQ Message
I've been moderating a snitz forum for about a year now. I walked in a few things but never took the time to report them really..

One of them is that passwords are stored in plain text in the database. This means quite a big security risk in my opinion. The webserver could be hacked in whatever way.. And the database can be downloaded to a local machine and opened without any protection. Then it could be opened and the passwords are there in plain text.

It might as well be a misconfiguration by the administrator on that board but still.. In my opinion passwords must be stored encrypted by default.

Another thing is.. Why are passwords listed as **** (stars) in the edit menu for members? I mean what use is it to put the passwords there? You can read them in plain text in the html source. Which is yet again a security risk.
You can easily put 2 empty password boxes for the administrator only to change the password (type new password and retype new password).

Are there any reasons not to do it this way or something?

A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Edited by - Maarten on 14 August 2002 10:23:52

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 14 August 2002 :  10:32:44  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
3.4 uses encryption and does not put the password in asterisks anymore.

Go to Top of Page

Maarten
Starting Member

Netherlands
22 Posts

Posted - 14 August 2002 :  10:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Maarten's Homepage  Send Maarten an ICQ Message

A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07