Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mutts
Starting Member

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2001 :  07:46:59  Show Profile  Send mutts an ICQ Message
Well, I'll add my 2 cents worth as well.
I work for a very large Australian Web hosting co, our web servers are host header box's sliced up in to 500 sitse per box
(box specs:pIII 550 256 MB ram, running win2k, IIS5) on one box that I look after there are 200 sites that use snitz. these box's have an average uptime of 25 days.
reason being is the the back end is running on a Seperate sql 7/2000 box.
Any Stability issues that people have can usualy be traced to ms access 2 main reasons.
1. access can only sustain 15 - 20 simultaneous conections before it starts suck more CPU time.
2. Access's implementation of its SQL support is poor at best, Microsoft have recognised this and for this reason MS Office 10 will finaly see the end of the *.mdb file extension. In office 10 Access will be running a cut down SQL engine similar to the way that office server extensions.

Sorry for being so long winded here but I needed to set the record straight. Access is more often the culprit, I can tell you this from experience.

Regards
Chris
Go to Top of Page

brkonthru
Development Team Member

Jordan
69 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2001 :  14:21:28  Show Profile  Send brkonthru an ICQ Message
Why do they have an uptime of 25 days? Does it crash or the memory usage goes way up and you have to restart the machine?

Go to Top of Page

mutts
Starting Member

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2001 :  04:14:13  Show Profile  Send mutts an ICQ Message
quote:

Why do they have an uptime of 25 days? Does it crash or the memory usage goes way up and you have to restart the machine?

The main reasion for only having an uptime of 25 days is problems with the statistics software that we run. As well as things like DLL and COM object registration add to the need to reboot box's

Regards
Chris
Go to Top of Page

efourie

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2001 :  22:48:52  Show Profile
Don't get me wrong - I think Snitz is awesome, and so does my members. I have a quick comment: I have read a book on ASP coding, and the writer claims that coding a site with Response.write is twice as fast as going back and forth between ASP and HTML.

Do you have any plans to change this for Snitz in the future?

Go to Top of Page

Nathan L

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2001 :  00:19:34  Show Profile  Send Nathan L an AOL message  Send Nathan L an ICQ Message  Send Nathan L a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Don't get me wrong - I think Snitz is awesome, and so does my members. I have a quick comment: I have read a book on ASP coding, and the writer claims that coding a site with Response.write is twice as fast as going back and forth between ASP and HTML.

Do you have any plans to change this for Snitz in the future?

Yes, I believe this is slowly being done.

Response.Write ("The Reign of Nice")
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2001 :  00:51:26  Show Profile
If you look at the latest alpha, default.asp has been converted to use Response.Write instead of a mixture of ASP and HTML.
Go to Top of Page

brkonthru
Development Team Member

Jordan
69 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2001 :  12:27:04  Show Profile  Send brkonthru an ICQ Message
One drawback to having convert a lot of the HTML to response.write is it will be hard to customize the code in HTML editors, does anyone know a way to over come this?

Go to Top of Page

efourie

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2001 :  15:03:18  Show Profile
I use a cobmination of both FrontPage for visual and Visual Interdev for ASP.

Thanks for doing this - I am sure we will see the improvement. I am busy creating my first mod.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07