MOD to Setup Mod ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DHT
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 18 March 2001 :  15:38:03  Show Profile
Since I see we need too much time to install some mods in each new version of Snitz forum, why don't we write a MOD that can generate a setup file for users ? So that they can only run that setup file instead of copy and paste a lot of codes into files in each new version ?

In my idea, this project includes 2 parts:

1. A Mod Setup file for Mod Authors. With this file, the mod writers will use to add files' name and codes which need to modify into a data file. Let try and test this simple file http://www.vnvntest.com/mod_setup.zip

This Mod setup also generate a xxx_setup.asp file then send this setup and data files to users.

2. Users or testers download xxx_setup and data file then only run xxx_setup file. The setup file will corrected all codes in required files. It also write a backup file, so users can easily retrieve if they have problems.

Sound good ? At this time, I'm working on part 1. If you like this project, help me to complete it

Edited by - DHT on 18 March 2001 17:08:29

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 18 March 2001 :  15:41:47  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
That would be a splendid idea, but it is impossible to know where to insert code since everyone has different mods installed, and therefor the code insertion varies from forum to forum

Go to Top of Page

DHT
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 18 March 2001 :  16:03:18  Show Profile
Ehehe... I know that. However, I noticed that the codes don't change much in each version. Mod Writer can notify to users that the setup file only run for version xxx only.

Furthermore, in most mods post here, I read the instructions, they often wrote: "Search for this line .....", it means that line may be specific and occurs only one time in file. Just try to make more comfortable for users when they install new mods

Edited by - DHT on 18 March 2001 16:05:27
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 18 March 2001 :  16:10:19  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I obviously agree, but would be far more comfortable if someone put the code in themselves.

The problem is not installing in version xxxx, but with instaling in version xxxx with mod a,b,c,d, and e already installed

PS.

I'm not rying to put you off, just give you directions in which to think

Go to Top of Page

DHT
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 18 March 2001 :  16:33:01  Show Profile
Thanks for your advice, HuwR! I will think about it.

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 18 March 2001 :  16:50:04  Show Profile
you might also look at this post: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=4103
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 18 March 2001 :  19:24:42  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

Thanks for your advice, HuwR! I will think about it.

looks good so far, I had a little play, if I chose to replace the sameline, it writes to the file, but if I chose to insert after it didn't appear to do anything

Go to Top of Page

z-man
Starting Member

Netherlands
41 Posts

Posted - 20 March 2001 :  15:04:28  Show Profile
I think DHT has very good point to make a mod that will install mods very easily. You will have to redesign Snitz from the bottom up. But it is possible and if you this right, you have to design it that it is possible to update new components from the website. Need a hand?

Go to Top of Page

DHT
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2001 :  02:11:04  Show Profile
I was busy a while in last few days !

That bug has been fixed HuwR. Thanks for your testing.

Yes, z-man, I really need your help ! I will send for you an email to discuss more detail on what I'm doing now. Since I jumped to ASP from PHP and Perl, so I work a little bit slow on ASP !

I have a question to any ASP experts here. How can I setup to run DOS Command or a DOS Application in ASP and IIS ? I tried to use <#exec cmd= ...>, but it didn't work :(

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2001 :  04:52:45  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I think you will find you can't.
What exectly did you want to do

Go to Top of Page

DHT
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2001 :  04:32:31  Show Profile
Hi HuwR, thanks for your mail. I gave up to setup it. Just let the Schedule run it once a day !

I just finish the basic for this mod. If you have time please test it :)

Hi z-man. I also send a mail for you now. Sorry for this late mail.

If anyone want to test this mod, You can download it at http://www.vnvntest.com/mod_setup.zip

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07